View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

5-MEO as a psychedelic? Any info?

Aeon Psyche

Bluelighter
As I was informed this substance would work as a psychedelic aswell. Any information available?

Do you mean 5-MeO-DMT?

It's a very well-studied psychedelic with a long history of use (occurs in various Amazonian plants used in e.g. yopo snuff, as well as toad venom). It produces a qualitatively different experience from "plain" DMT and is more potent by weight. Usually people will snort it or smoke it, but it can also be injected, or taken orally with a MAOI.

It is possible my source was badly informed like I first thought. She implied 5-meo works as a substance, ok. but perhaps she in a neglectingly way abbreviated it. I'll be sure to get the details when i have the time.

Keep us informed. 5-MeO isn't a noun, it's an adjective. It modifies something else. That's to say, 5-MeO is only half of the name of a drug name/structure, and there's a lot of them. The best known 5-MeO-xxx psychedelic is 5-MeO-DMT (which is a wildly different drug than DMT) but there are many more.

Last edited:
5-MeO isn't a drug, it's a description of adding a methoxy to the 5th position. There are many 5-MeO tryptamines, all of which are psychedelics... not "also", but they are just point blank psychedelics, not any other class of drug.

Keep us informed. 5-MeO is only half of the name of a drug name/structure, and there's a lot of them. The best known 5-MeO-xxx psychedelic is 5-MeO-DMT (which is a wildly different drug than DMT) but there are many more.

I know, i've tried a whole bunch of 5-meo-xxx already : ) It's probably just 5-meo-dmt like i thought at first but I wanted to be sure.

Keep us informed. 5-MeO is only half of the name of a drug name/structure, and there's a lot of them. The best known 5-MeO-xxx psychedelic is 5-MeO-DMT (which is a wildly different drug than DMT) but there are many more.
5-MeO isn't a drug, it's a description of adding a methoxy to the 5th position. There are many 5-MeO tryptamines, all of which are psychedelics... not "also", but they are just point blank psychedelics, not any other class of drug.

This

5-MEO-DMT is a very potent psychedelic ;)

There are many 5-MeO tryptamines, all of which are psychedelics... not "also", but they are just point blank psychedelics, not any other class of drug.

Just a nitpick: Not all 5-MeO-tryptamines are psychedelic. Yes, the N,N-alkyl ones (ex.: 5-MeO-N,N-dimethyltryptamine aka 5-MeO-DMT; 5-MeO-N-methyl-N-isopropyltryptamine aka 5-MeO-MiPT) generally are, as is 5-MeO-AMT; but those that have no alkyl groups in the alpha position or on the nitrogen are not psychedelic... the most famous being 5-MeO-N-acetyltryptamine, better known as "melatonin".

Just a nitpick: Not all 5-MeO-tryptamines are psychedelic. Yes, the N,N-alkyl ones (ex.: 5-MeO-N,N-dimethyltryptamine aka 5-MeO-DMT; 5-MeO-N-methyl-N-isopropyltryptamine aka 5-MeO-MiPT) generally are, as is 5-MeO-AMT; but those that have no alkyl groups in the alpha position or on the nitrogen are not psychedelic... the most famous being 5-MeO-N-acetyltryptamine, better known as "melatonin".

Interesting and a good point here.

Albeit I'll add with large differences in the degree of "psychedelic activity" between various 5-MeO-tryptamines that fit your criteria. Any idea what structural characteristics could explain differences in subjective differences say between 5-MeO-DMT and 5-MeO-MiPT? Moxy being more like an empathogenic tryptamine in some sense in my experience vs a traditional psychedelic.

The polypharmacology of 5-MeO-tryptamines is not well understood and I think plays a large role in their variable subjective "psychedelic" and other effects.

OP: Were you referring to 5-meo-tryptamine itself??

Possibly. I would have to double-check...I'm no chemical expert to be able to say if such has any potential or not....But my source mentioned 5-MEO is a drug on it's own. But perhaps 5-meo-tryptamine is exactly what she meant.

Possibly. I would have to double-check...I'm no chemical expert to be able to say if such has any potential or not....But my source mentioned 5-MEO is a drug on it's own. But perhaps 5-meo-tryptamine is exactly what she meant.

Unsubstituted 5-MeO-tryptamine ("O-methylserotonin") is *very* unlikely to be psychoactive IMO. Chances are your friend meant 5-MeO-DMT.

Interesting and a good point here.

Albeit I'll add with large differences in the degree of "psychedelic activity" between various 5-MeO-tryptamines that fit your criteria. Any idea what structural characteristics could explain differences in subjective differences say between 5-MeO-DMT and 5-MeO-MiPT? Moxy being more like an empathogenic tryptamine in some sense in my experience vs a traditional psychedelic.
No, but I think it's fascinating.

I think it's easy for us to get fixated on the drug rather than the receptor, the key instead of the lock. It's my understanding that we don't get high on the drug, we get impacted by the forces the drugs unleash. Different drugs elicit different effects because they distort the receptor into different shapes. It's the shape of the drug that determines the ratio of signaling chemicals released when it binds.

I think this theory is unlikely, but it could be that hydrogen bonds between the tail and the methoxy group form a weak ring structure with 5-MeO-MiPT but not with the shorter 5-MeO-DMT. Even if that's the case, we're a long way from a practical understanding of why that conformational change matters

I think it's easy for us to get fixated on the drug rather than the receptor, the key instead of the lock. It's my understanding that we don't get high on the drug, we get impacted by the forces the drugs unleash.
Thats a cool way to look at it.

I think this theory is unlikely, but it could be that hydrogen bonds between the tail and the methoxy group form a weak ring structure with 5-MeO-MiPT but not with the shorter 5-MeO-DMT. Even if that's the case, we're a long way from a practical understanding of why that conformational change matters

This however, is indeed extremely unlikely. I dont think the alkyl groups attached to the nitrogen participate in hydrogen bonding. Carbon is not electronegative enough for it.

This however, is indeed extremely unlikely.

Lol, that was very polite of you! But yeah, I'm totally wrong here. Carbon is definitely not electronegative enough for it. Well, I guess there's a reason why nobody thought of it before. ;-) Back to the drawing board...

This however, is indeed extremely unlikely. I dont think the alkyl groups attached to the nitrogen participate in hydrogen bonding. Carbon is not electronegative enough for it.

Exactly. The way hydrogen bonding works is that you've got a hydrogen bond donor (an atom with a somewhat loosely bound, electron-deprived hydrogen, like N-H or O-H) and an acceptor (an atom with lone electron pairs).

Ethers (the 5-MeO part) and tertiary amines can only be acceptors, but not donors of hydrogen bonds, so there won't be intramolecular hydrogen bonds in 5-MeO-MiPT... however, being an H-bond acceptor can still greatly affect the intermolecular interactions of a molecule.

There are also other forces at play here, such as hydrophobic interactions between the alkyl groups on the amine and the receptor, pi-stacking involving the aromatic ring, etc.