Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-htp replacements

En_warp

Bluelighter
Is there any other suplements similar to 5--htp that u can buy legally in Melbourne.

Not looking for names of places, just name of product.

thanks

5-htp is only available over the counter in queensland. You will need to order it off the internet if you live in melbourne

I think you missed the point of the thread. He's looking for things similar to 5-htp.

Anything you guys can recommend? I just take multivitamins myself.

Anti oxidents and healthy food is ok but 5htp is better.

There heaps of threads on this sorta stuff maybe do a search.

Sorry about that. Eat healthy, antioxidants and what i find most important is to get lots of sleep. Don't go on two or more day binges (i'm not suggesting you do).
Personally i don't even begin to recover (no matter what supplements i have taken) until i've had a good nights (days) sleep.
As far as a product you can use that will do the same as 5-htp then tryptophan is the product i can think of but once again it isn't available for sale OTC in melbourne.

tryptophan--->5-HTP---->serotonin

Last edited:
5htp is the best thing to use, why look for an alternative? 5htp is not exactly hard or illegal to buy.

If you mean to reduce neurotoxicity than an ssri and anti oxidants are your other option.

If you mean to help you sleep, some G or anti-depressants may be helpful, OR you can try alternative herbal products such as kava calm or passionflower

If you mean to make you feel less scattered throughout the week then there is still NO alternative to getting enough sleep, eating foods, and a good multi vitamin.

EAting tryptophan rich foods will not have the same effect as the uptake of tryptophan to 5-htp is (I believe) severely inhibited by ecstasy for around about a week after (confirmation of this would be great)

But the amount of Bannanas, Turkey meat or Milk you need to consume to have the same impact of a capsule of 5HTP makes the 5HTP much more apealing.

+ as I said above it is there not something to prevent tryptophans conversion after taking mdma for about a week?

IWoody said:
FFS UTFSE!!

Booyah!

once you have searched you will learn bananas and fish rule!!

FFS UTFSE LOL ROFL LKDI HG PLLIW BJSLF LAKDIO

damn i get sick of those stupid acronyms.

thanks dudes,

the reason i cant get 5-htp is cause i dont have a credit card, or is possible to buy it without one from the internet?

the reason i want it is not to get to sleep, but after years of taking pills(sometimes abusing). i've realsied that i should be looking after my brain a little bit more. the thought of being like ozzy osbourne 20yrs down the track doesnt really appeal to me.

My suggestion would be to

1) Eat ( dont starve your body of the food it really wants during those moments ) no matter how hard it is!!!!! Try try and try!!!
2) Take multvits...
3) Drink Tea (with no caffine in it) a good herbal tea goes a long long way
4) Try to at least have a rest, even if u cant sleep :)

Havnt you got a friend whos got a Credit Card nehoo??? Thats what Id do if i didnt have one, i would ask someone if i could use it for the purchase and give them the cash etc... surely you have a friend who trusts you enough.

It is indeed possible to buy without a credit card. I just use a St George Multiaccess Card. Uses the Visa network straight from one's account without any nasty credit part. May take a few days to obtain but a lot better than trying to find some half-arsed 5-htp substitutes.

Good 'over-the-counter' tablets that help you sleep and relax, are Fenergen (not sure of spelling), Restavit, and Fioranol (tablets or capsules).

Say u need them for headaches, or something.

But, don't take more than the recommended dosage. Abusing over-the-counter drugs is just dirty, and dangerous.

+ as I said above it is there not something to prevent tryptophans conversion after taking mdma for about a week?

It has been found that MDMA irreversibly binds to tryptophan hydroxylase, the enzyme responsible for converting L-tryptophan to 5HTP. However, work of Mendelson and others have demonstrated that as a preload, L-tryp is very effective at reducing MDMA related axial damage to 5HT neurons.

Personally, I found that L-tryp is both effective as a preload, and great as a postload. This was the case even during periods where I consumed 250mg+ of MDMA / night. I never suffered hangovers, "terrible Tuesday" or other side effects, and I never felt L- try ever compromised the intensity of the roll. Others I know who have also used it agree.

While L-tryp is only available on script, the unfortunate part is that no-one in Australia is producing 500mg tablets anymore. The best you can find is mixtures of vitamins and amino acids that contain around 100mg, which by TGA ruling is the max amount permitted in OTC (non-prescription) products.

I did find a company in Brisbane that offered to produce it for prescription holders. But the price was ridiculous. Another (somewhat tricky) alternative is to buy it in bulk from a chem supplier. A German company I deal with has it available at incredibly cheap prices.

Still, although considered not to be the optimum source for L-tryptophan due to bioavailability, milk has loads of the stuff. It is possible to extract over 10 grams from a litre of milk, but the process is hardly kitchen chemistry.

L-tryptophan is an indispensable amino acid, meaning if you don't get it in your diet you quickly become deficient. As it's used by the body for so many things, deficiency is a serious state. Banning it has been a real issue for me.

^^ I was under the impression that tryptophan hydroxylase was lost due to oxidative processes... the recovery of enzyme activity 24 hrs later was due to reduction of the inactive enzyme. Or am I confused? :)

I have oft (!) wishes that I could obtain l-tryp in oz. p_d -- do you happen to know if any of the l-tryp containing tablets can be taken in sufficient number to reach 1g without passing the safe limits for the rest of the compounds in the tablet?

I know that importing it would be illegal, but given that people successfully get selegiline etc in, I wonder what the chance of getting nailed would be. It's not on either of the customs prohibited lists...

What dose did you take as a pre/post load, incidentally?

I was under the impression that tryptophan hydroxylase was lost due to oxidative processes... the recovery of enzyme activity 24 hrs later was due to reduction of the inactive enzyme. Or am I confused?

No you are correct VelocideX. I was referring to a speech Mendelson did around 2001 where he indicated inhibition was via direct binding. I'll try find the ref.

It's more likely to be from oxidation of sulfhydryl sites of the enzyme, and that causes irreversible inhibition. It appears (I think) that this results from oxidative products of 5HT toxicity rather than from MDMA itself binding to the enzyme.

This is a fairly old paper. There may be more recent and conclusive studies on how this occurs.

The role of cytochrome P-4502E1 in the neurochemical effects produced by MDMA, by Michel, Robert Earl, Ph.D., Tulane University, 1994, 163 pages;

The drug 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), more commonly known as "Ecstasy", is a synthetic amphetamine analogue that possesses neurotoxic properties in the rat. The neurotoxicity produced by MDMA is characterized by a chronic depletion of serotonin and 5-HIAA, inhibition of tryptophan hydroxylase and the destruction of serotonergic nerve axon terminals in the brain. The mechanism by which MDMA produces this neurotoxicity is unknown. However, a popular theory is that this neurotoxicity is mediated by a metabolite of MDMA and not by the parent compound. Thus, the purpose of this present study was to investigate further the role of metabolism in the mediation of the neurotoxicity produced by MDMA. Since MDMA is metabolized by a family of enzymes known as cytochrome P450, a specific isozyme may be responsible for the formation of a neurotoxic metabolite, or metabolites, from MDMA.

Regarding L-tryptophan; I used to have a doctor who had no objections to prescribing l-tryp. but he went off to study dermatology. Through him I secured quite a good supply at one time. More recently, I enquired to my current GP about a script. He had no real objections but had never heard of anyone using it. He looked in his MIMS equivalent and could find no listing. Upon enquiring to the pharmacist I was informed that Natures Own no longer produced it. The pharmacist rang around and said a local company would make it to order. When I enquired as to what dosage they would be prepared to produce, they said 200mg max. While it's possible to take five of these, I wasn' too keen, and when he stated the cost I said forget it. The price was over twice what Natures Own had sold for.

As briefly mentioned, I have a recent (excellent) price on 1kg USP grade from a German supplier. If you're interested in pursuing this possible option, PM me.

I never knew 5-htp was able to be sold anywhere in Australia, is it legal to be sold ovwer the counter in any state other than queensland?

Considering QLD is often mentioned as the 'exception to the rule', wherein the rule is that 5-HTP is illegal to sell in Australia, logic would indicate not.

BigTrancer :)