• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery 5 HTP Seems to Cause Problems in Meth Withdrawal

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Having concluded an 8 month meth binge (that also included quite a bit of MDMA and acid) a month ago I thought I might need some supplents to get my serotonon and dopamine systems back in shape.

So I started taking 5 HTP and L-tyrosine nightly. After 2 weeks I felt brilliant and fully recovered. However, after 3 weeks I began to feel dizzy, nauseous, had gastric problems, a temperature and flushed face, and constantly dilated pupils and blurry vision and inability to focus or concentrate.

After some reading I realised these are are serotonegenic symptoms (I’ve felt similar things briefly before from SSRIs and MDMA).

After stopping the 5 HTP for 24 hours the symptoms subsided. I also learned that 5 HTP reduces dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine which explains why the one point of meth I smoked after 3 weeks of no meth barely registered and why my ADD symptoms are so full on at the moment.

My error for not reading more widely on 5 HTP before trying it.

Mind I ask what the dosing regimen was?
On any/all meds?
Thanks
Dabbled with5-HTP but never to any extent other than an occasional pill-pop to see if it does anything for mood or otherwise. Not sure if I noticed a difference but @~100mg a day for a couple days with food.

Mind I ask what the dosing regimen was?
On any/all meds?
Thanks
Dabbled with5-HTP but never to any extent other than an occasional pill-pop to see if it does anything for mood or otherwise. Not sure if I noticed a difference but @~100mg a day for a couple days with food.

I have been taking 30 mg dexamfetamine on the daytime.

At night I have been taking 25 mg agomelatine, 100 ug clonidine, 1g Tyrosine, 100 mg 5 HTP and 600 mg magnesium

You might try something further up the line like L-Tryptophan which then has to interact with tryptophan hydroxylase, a rate-limiting enzyme in the steps for serotonin production. 5-HTP crosses the blood brain barrier faster than tryptophan and thus may produce more pronounced side effects over a longer exposure window.

So I started taking 5 HTP and L-tyrosine nightly. After 2 weeks I felt brilliant and fully recovered. However, after 3 weeks I began to feel dizzy

For what it's worth I used that stuff back in 2014. It went under the name Griffonia Simplicifolia extract.

Made me feel a bit weird for a day but the symptoms stopped as soon as I stopped using it.

I tried weaning off mirtazapine and believe me after so many years on it at the time it was beyond a joke getting off. I never succeeded and that's why I am still on it.

Not sure whether 5HtP would work to help withdrawal from other drugs but it sure didn't work for mirtazapine.

Don't get me wrong, i don't have any particular investment in this, but i think "5-HTP seems to be awful for me/my situation" would have been more apt.
I have been taking 30 mg dexamfetamine on the daytime.

At night I have been taking 25 mg agomelatine, 100 ug clonidine, 1g Tyrosine, 100 mg 5 HTP and 600 mg magnesium
I mean you still take a good amount of stuff, let alone the history. There could be a lot of interplaying factors at work! I understand, changing some variable and seeing effects is inviting to draw conclusions, but painting the devil an the wall like that is a bit far out i think.

Of course i'm not saying you should take it if you have the suspicion that it doesn't do you any good, i just think it's not that black and white.

I tried 5-htp twice and it made me violently ill both times.

L-theanine didn't make me puke, but it did give me a minor case of diarrhea.

L-tryptophan doesn't give me any side effects.

I tried 5-htp twice and it made me violently ill both times.

L-theanine didn't make me puke, but it did give me a minor case of diarrhea.

L-tryptophan doesn't give me any side effects.
Hi. Dosage? Intake pattern? What's violently ill like?

Don't get me wrong, i don't have any particular investment in this, but i think "5-HTP seems to be awful for me/my situation" would have been more apt.

I mean you still take a good amount of stuff, let alone the history. There could be a lot of interplaying factors at work! I understand, changing some variable and seeing effects is inviting to draw conclusions, but painting the devil an the wall like that is a bit far out i think.

Of course i'm not saying you should take it if you have the suspicion that it doesn't do you any good, i just think it's not that black and white.
I modified the thread title to be less judgy and emphatic - thanks for the feedback

Hi. Dosage? Intake pattern? What's violently ill like?

I believe that I took 100-200mg before bed as a sleep aid, and both times I woke up in several hours later and puked my guts out. (I wasn't taking it for any kind of withdrawal, just for insomnia.)