Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

4C-D ("ARIADNE") - First Time - Zen in a Glittery Powder

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
4C-D/ARIADNE, 1st trial, 4-8-2019

Recently it became possible to acquire two compounds that had previously only been known as entries in PIHKAL. One of those is BOD, and the other is 4C-D (2,5-dimethoxy-alpha-ethyl-4-methylphenethylamine), nicknamed ARIADNE (one of his "classic ladies") in PIHKAL. Since I am a shameless drug nerd and collector, I had to acquire these two rarities. What follows is the account of my first trial with 4C-D.

3:00pm (T+0:00) - Ingested 50mg of 4C-D HCl. The rationale for this dose (after a small allergy test of 2mg with no effects yesterday) was that a friend tried this same batch of 4C-D at 90mg and found it mild and nice with some profound emotion amplification. I know it is twice the highest dosage reported in PIHKAL, but in PIHKAL no psychedelic dose was reached and the effects reported at 25mg seemed a clear threshold rather than a full effect. The appearance of the drug is of a sparkly, positively glittering crystalline powder, reminiscent of the appearance of 3C-E/3C-P and proscaline, but even more sparkly, like facial glitter. The taste is quite unusual, at first it is sharp and sour, but quickly fades to a moderate bitterness that seems to only register in a specific area of the tongue. It felt as if my mouth was about to go numb, but it didn't. Most unusual. Right now I am working at home, but there is little to do. My girlfriend and I are going to go on a walk soon, and then in a couple of hours I will get picked up by my friend for band practice.

3:25pm (T+0:25) - First alerts felt upon exiting the shower. It's a smooth feeling, quite velvety with some euphoria around the edges already. I really feel quite nice, there is substantial mood improvement (though my mood was already quite good) and a warm pulsing glow in my body, centering in my chest and tingling down through my extremities, a feeling I associate closely with entactogens. There is also a distinct head buzz beginning though I feel very lucid. It's more of a pleasant brain tingle, one I also associate with entactogens. It would appear that 4C-D may end up being entactogenic, but we will see.

3:50pm (T+0:50) - The feeling has grown slightly but so far nothing more has developed. In an hour my ride will be here for band practice so I will get to see if there are pro-social or pro-music effects. I am thinking about redosing 20-25mg but I'm going to give it a little more time.

4:30pm (T+1:30) - Redosed 25mg. Let's see if this develops more. I feel quite nice, it has gotten slightly heavier to where I do feel slightly off base and self-conscious, but not in any sort of difficult way, I'm just quite aware of myself and I have that psychedelic twinge where normal interaction feels somewhat awkward. I felt this before the redose but as I don't find this difficult at all, and it is promising in terms of psychedelic effects manifesting, I went with it anyway.

4:40pm (T+1:40) - While in the bathroom, I happened to look in the mirror, and I noticed moderate pupil dilation, which surprised me. My girl and I are about to go for a walk, and then my ride will be here for band practice and I will stop taking notes, and finish up with my observations tomorrow morning or perhaps late tonight. I feel in a jovial mood, I've been joking around and being silly with my girlfriend.

5:20pm (T+2:20) - The redose has kicked in. The walk was excellent. I really noticed and deeply appreciated the beauty of emerging Spring, and my girlfriend and I had a lot of easy and satisfying conversation. There is a psychedelic sparkle to this but it's definitely more entactogenic. It feels psychedelic in the body, that sort of good fluttery feeling that could become anxiety except it is directed nicely so instead it's a light euphoria. I have a deep sense of well-being and appreciation for life right now, with a light euphoria around the edges, but it's quite a sober-minded and authentic state.

2:50am (T+11:50) - Just got back from band practice. It went very well, I felt free and creative and my hands were doing exactly what I wanted them to, and I naturally took the lead and kept everything going and wrangled the discussions on what to insert at various parts of our setlist for our show this weekend. Highly functional. Socialization was easy and confident. I would say the effects dropped off to just a warm glow at around 8:30 or 9pm, so T+5:30 to 6. However, I still feel the warm glow and a sense of ease and clarity. I can say that this mixes quite well with alcohol. I drank a 6 pack of 6% ciders over the course of the night and I never felt more than a pleasant, warm buzz. My mind stayed very sharp compared to how I would normally feel. After practice, my friend and I played a video game, and I became extremely focused on it and did quite well, especially considering I'd never played it before, and before I knew it, 2 hours had gone by and it was much later than I had intended. On the way home my Uber driver was a really interesting guy who went to the same college as me and spent years living in the town I grew up in, which is rare around here. We had some great conversations, again, effortless. The entire experience has been marked by an effortless ease and a calm, free feeling. It's so interesting how adding one carbon to DOM, changing it to an alpha-ethyl from an alpha-methyl (and thus no longer an amphetamine, but something very close) can make such a difference, in duration, potency, and most of all, in subjective effects. 4C-D is not a stimulant. I felt no extra energy, and my body feels completely calm. And there is this great residual vibe, it reminds me of how when mescaline tapers off and it just slowly almost becomes part of your normal state. That's how I feel, that I just feel this way naturally. I'm sure in the morning I will feel differently but it's a lovely feeling. I am very happy with this trial, even though it was quite mild, really. Mild, but still significant. I have the feeling this is what characterizes this drug, but I will certainly give it another go, probably at 100mg all at once. This felt so benign at 50mg with a 25mg booster than I feel totally confident jumping to 100mg.

In summary, there were no classical psychedelic aspects to this, no visuals whatsoever, not even a hint of them. I felt an entactogenic vibe in the mind, and during the peak, also in the body. My mind felt lucid and interested and curious and quite active. I felt good at whatever I did and I enjoyed socializing and was good at it. Overall I felt very calm and content. I really liked this experience, and I look forward to trying it again at a higher dosage. But my feeling is that it will remain about like this, a pleasant amplifier and mild entactogen, which I am quite sure from how I feel will exact no price. Really pleasant, it's too bad the dose is so high because I would enjoy this in a variety of situations as a chill enhancer, but I only have so much. I will be sure to write another report on my higher dosage trials.

Lovely stuff indeed. Subtle, but lovely. It was all goodness, nothing negative about it whatsoever.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_4cd
substancecode_ariadne
substancecode_phenethylamines
substancecode_ethanol
substancecode_alcohols
substancecode_gabaergics
_combo_
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. :) It was really nice, I'm even tempted to take some more today but since I only have a gram and it was expensive and the dose is high I definitely won't. Nothing too exciting but very lovely.

Very interesting!!

Great report as well, which is no surprise. There are certain skills needed to accurately convey such 'complex' experiences. Combining that with a fluid and interesting writing style makes writing trip reports kind of an art, at least to me. Of course, it depends a lot on the experience itself...
Looking forward to the next one :)

Thanks for the compliments, music and to painting are two of my other other art forms but writing was actually my first, for about half my young life I wanted to be an author "officially" so I'm always loved writing. So it means a lot to know that I can do it effectively in a way that engages people and evokes states of mind. :)

I must admit, half the reason I like to collect so many obscure things is so I can write and collect trip reports that no one or very few have written about. :) In this case, I think I may be the first... this and DOF.

Amazing! Thanks for reporting on this! When I saw 4C-D and BOD circulating last year, I was powerfully curious. Since I'd just talked my inner nerd out of acquiring 2C-T-21 and 2C-T, I couldn't justify the expense of these any more easily. They sounded really interesting, but less reliable and even more nebulous in their effects. I like how you referred to this as definitely not psychedelic and not at all stimulating, but as perhaps entactogenic. It sounds like it had a subtle emotion amplifying effect and some indefinable "sparkle." I'm curious about that sparkle, how to better sketch around the character of those subjective effects. Looking forward to hearing more from you on this one, as well as BOD!

I'm going to take 100mg sometime soon, maybe in the next week (but I had some serotonergic drugs this weekend so maybe a little longer). I'm wondering whether the particular character of it is just subtle and will be present regardless of dose, or if it will increase and/or change the nature of the effects.

I'm also quite excited about BOD. Some of the PIHKAL reports mention a very nice mind state. They also make mention of a definite body presence or perhaps even too much so. So I guess we'll see. I love the DOXs and agree with them well and don't tend to get bodyloads much anyway. I realize the BOXs are not DOXs but they're something kinda similar.

Sounds pretty similar to 2C-D, but maybe even less psychedelic?
Thanks for the report Shadowmeister!

Wonderful report, I felt lovely just reading about your experience and I could also relate to it very strongly from my own. ☺ I love 4C-D.... So smooth and subtle and simple yet so deep and fulfilling at the same time. I agree that it is not psychedelic in quite the way that the classic psychedelics are and that is has significantly more in common with empathogens than most of them they do, but if asked to place it in one category or the other would honestly still place it in the psychedelic one. It still feels very much like one to me at its core, just about as pure and sweet as that feeling of it can get, and on a level still closer to the classics and other good ones like 2C-E and such than it is like a shallower trip. It's a quite remarkable and worthwhile substance in my opinion, though definitely not exactly what most people seem to be looking for when they take psychedelics, like a lot of these novel molecules that interest me more and more as time goes by.

You didn't smoke cannabis with it this time, did you? That does make the psychedelic side more obvious to me as it always does.... It even makes it very slightly visual, but still in a way that the visuals feel mostly like the visuals that come from the synergy of cannabis and psychedelics, rather than the purely psychedelic visuals suddenly being brought out. I should say though, this is around 50-75 mg for me too.... Around 100 mg I do find it very slightly visual in a way similar to the DOx family, but still almost not at all, just when you least expect it and only fleetingly. Anyway, about to check out your second report too. :)

I don't believe I did, no. I find that cannabis greatly potentiates psychedelics for me and tends to produce anxiety in me unless I'm by myself, and even then sometimes it does. So I often don't smoke weed during trips these days.

That's totally understandable. :) I also feel more anxious around others on cannabis than by myself, but since I generally prefer solo trips, it hasn't really been a problem for me in a long time. I also find that psychedelics dramatically reduce the anxiety I experience on cannabis all on their own, luckily, while simultaneously being dramatically intensified by it. That being said, I am starting to be more drawn to the idea of tripping more without cannabis myself as of late... for multiple reasons. After combining them so invariably for so long, it's nice to see the other side of things too, and I don't really feel I need it to really bring their effects out to the level I like like I sometimes used to anymore anyway, as the tripping has gotten easier and deeper over time.

Cannabis definitely makes psychedelics more intense and immersive and sensory, I find it amplifies visuals as well as somatic sensations dramatically. It also tends to make things more confusing for me and uncontrollable. It's something I sometimes want, and sometimes don't. It remains really good at fully kicking a trip in over the threshold when a trip hasn't crossed that threshold though.

Completely agreed with all points there. I don't think I would want to trip without having it around still even if I haven't used it while tripping for a long time specifically for that last point.... Nothing's ever come even close to saving a trip for me like that like cannabis has.