View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines 4-HO-MET Health and Safety

Transform

Bluelight Crew
It's me again :p Well just wondering how much do you know about 4-HO-MET because i had several question about Health and 4-HO-MET.

It concerns me and a friend of mine who would like to trip for the first timer ever, so i suggested him to try a low dose of 4-HO-MET (like 8-10mg), he said he really want too but this dude got his face pale (in every day life) so of what i heard it's a sign on low blood cells in the skin or maybe a sign of Anemia. And i don't know if he will risk something using 4-HO-MET (such as tachycardia, bradycardia, oxygen deprivation or something that can injury him or even lead him to death).

I know that Metocin (4-ho-met) is pretty similar to shrooms but less "mindfuck" more enjoyable (btw for me it's my substance of choice without a doubt !) and always had a good times with it, very gentle chemical and funny visuals ! Anyway how safe is 4-HO-MET, oh also i think it's increase or decrease blood pressure and heart beat a bit but don't know how much.

I imagined the worst scenario in my head that my friend get his heart beat decrease by 4-HO-MET then panicked, so need to took a benzodiazepine like Xanax but it will decreases his heart even more than can be fatal ?! (Well, don't know really how benzodiazepine works on the heart) but of course it will reduce anxiety but also decreases his heart beat more faster

If you had any informations, comments, though about 4-HO-MET or 4-sub-tryptamines feel free to reply.

It would be greatly appreciated

On my previous experiences i experiment this kind of effects (bodyload) :

Cold feeling
Tension in the face
Increased in heart beat
Increased in Blood Pressure
Shivers
Light to mild dehydration

Last edited:
If he's a trusted friend; without scaring him just politely inquire about his medical history. Paleness of the face doesn't necessarily mean something's awry without other factors being involved. Does his face change in temperature? Is it cold? Does his face sweat when it gets pale? His skin color is already predetermined by the amount of melanin in his skin (which determines skin color). Of course in light everyone's skin color will appear to be lighter. If there's no other symptoms the observation is probably subjective. Whereas if his temperature drops when his face appears more pale that would be more so objective.

Depending on what he says you should toss him a 1-2 mg dose to see how he responds to it. Nothing serious, just a little bit. Metocin is a really turbulent one for me, though I do find it very enjoyable from time to time. Not too gentle for me as you described. If he has anxiety problems that kind of sucks because you could easily make him worry and ruin the "peace of mind" involved with the establishment of a comfortable setting. Also consider the synergy involved in mixing a benzo. When I mixed lorazepam and shrooms the mix did not abort anything it only made me more delirious and spacey.

Finally look up the criteria of cardiac arrhythmia's before anything. When we experience ANXIETY its a false trigger of the fight-or-flight instinct. Your heartrate will naturally rise just as it does when you sprint down the sidewalk. When a person is anxious the body is preparing to endure whatever it has to in order to avoid danger which isn't even there. This awareness of the body's increase in activity generally makes sufferers MORE anxious. To find someone's BPM check the pulse and count for 30 seconds, then multiply that by three. If he has an anxiety attack on drugs (or anyone for that matter) depending on the drug a young healthy heart should not go past the stage of supraventricular tachycardia: which literally translates to "fast heartbeat" and shouldn't persist longer than the drugs lifespan. My advice is not to play doctor while he's tripping or you'll probably trigger a psychosomatic response. Unless its a serious arrhythmia depending on the stage of the drug I wouldn't recommend adding more drugs.. and that's all they'd do at the hospital anyways besides potentially catapult you into a legal skirmish. Phenethylamines are much better in my opinion to introduce someone to. We all share the same risk when we consume RC's though. I know a lot of diabetics who take RC's and an individual who has a heart murmur, diabetes, and was recovering from a gastro-bypass surgery when he took 4-HO-MET+DOC. Don't hold me liable for saying this but I doubt there will be any trouble unless he has medical conditions to speak of. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you man,

well his face doesn't sweat when its gets pale, he is just pale because he always plays computers and rarely go out :p By the way why do you think Metocin is turbulent ? Is that Bodyload that fears you or something ? Can you details a bit please ? He is a little anxious but for me and from trips report i read, 4-HO-MET is pretty "safe" and mood lift and produces cartoon-like visuals. the benzodiazepines i had is Alprazolam 2mg do you think it will get worst if he takes it incase of freakout ? (but for me it's nearly impossible to bad trip on 4-HO-MET). Also i don't chose Phenethylamines cause for me it's FAR more way speedy than 4-Substitued-Tryptamines and it will maybe get even worse with his heart or something.

Anyway thanks for your great answer :D

Maybe give him some metocin on a nice day and take him outside to a nice spot in nature, then maybe he'll like going outside more often.

I see you have created the thread already, thats great - I have been a little swamped...

but its all good <3

Thank you :) Still here for any answers/informations/advices about the 4-HO-MET (i also read all the Big and Dandy Thread for 4-HO-MET) but i really want to be sure it will not hurt him :)

I have taken 4-HO-MET @8mg, 11mg, 15mg, 22mg, 40mg+ and always felt "safe" but i got some scary bodyload but i don't think it's lethal (like a lack of blood in my feets/hands, lips)

To find someone's BPM check the pulse and count for 30 seconds, then multiply that by three.

Don't you mean 20 seconds - multiply by three or 30 seconds and multiply by two?

Otherwise nice post, valuable :)

Anyway I cannot think of cases that have been reported where a normal dose of a compound like this has been reported to be life threatening. There are lots of people who don't go out much and sit behind a computer all day and look pale. A good number of times you may also find that the person is leptosomatic.

Just ask him if he has a medical history or if there are indications like feeling extremely weak or anything like that. A test with a small dose is also a good recommendation. If he would have anemia he might faint more easily while tripping, heart problems would not be great with possible anxiety reactions but such anxiety reactions can just come from worrying about it too much and self-reinforcement of the anxiety.

Considering this is a relatively unknown compound (despite the resemblance with the physically safe psilocin) if your worries cannot be quenched just start low when you want to trip, so that you can build some confidence about it.

By the way there are many reports of scary body loads with many psychedelics but in almost all cases there are only things wrong with dubious combinations or psychological freakouts. Mushrooms can make you feel like you are dying, it could be explained as a psychosomatic reaction to ego dissolution, or there might be something else to it. Dissociation / kinesthetic interruption... etc.

Solipsis, many thanks to you ! Always have great answer here :) And yes my mate is thin. He have no medical history but sometimes he had anxiety.

Infact yesterday i talked with a friend of mine which study in chemistry and he said that the 4-substitued tryptamines like 4-HO increased the risk of mild-severe hypoxia because of the dehydratation and the decrease in blood pressure which can lead to stroke/coma or cardiac arrest more than LSD. Don't know if you tried 4-HO-MET, but if yes, is 4-ho-met feeling safe on your body ? Because i don't know if the weight is related to the dosage, because he is thin as me like 45-50kg and don't known, is it related ?

Anyway i don't know if it's true or something but still.
Thanks

I'm not really sure if you want to hear about my body, but 4-HO-MET feels like the most safest psychedelic to me, although I have yet to try other 4-substituted tryptamines. But, I experienced no shallow breathing, no vasoconstriction, and no significant subjective changes in blood pressure.

Also, I am totally thin, ~55 kg @ 1.8 m.

Thanks for your report Allium, can you told me how many mg do you tried and how strong it was ? Many thanks !

I tried 4-HO-MET twice, first time 22 mg, and it felt like medium dose, second time ~16-17 mg, and it felt quite light. I would say that optimal dose is somewhere between 25 mg and 35 mg. But this is me, and many people find 20 mg enough.

Ok my favorite scale is between 8 to 16mg, 20mg for me it's strong and 30mg+ is VERY strong :p Well for being safe cause it's a new batch, we will drop 2mg first for allergic test, then drop 5mg more and determinating how strong the trip will be we'll re-drop or something :) Need to be safe as possible

Since this is turning into a discussion on dosing of 4-HO-MET

Interesting - I usually dose lower than almost anyone on here, and I find 20-25mg of the fumarate just about right taken orally. 10mg was pretty light, it didn't show it's true character until 15-20. I consider it one of the best recreational psychedelics - a lot less threatening than 4-AcO-DMT, yet more visual.

I've found it's substantially stronger, and much faster hitting (and shorter acting), when taken sublingually - I kinda like that ROA, actually, if one's planning on it, and intending to not wait long for the comeup, and split the dose up into a few sub-doses. I think it was 7.5-5-5 that I took, and thought worked pretty well for it (and yes, redosing after you feel the peak going away does bring back intensity, unlike some psychedelics). I wonder what the stuff would be like insufflated? Maybe will try it next time I work with this material...

A few of my friends don't need to go past 12 mg fumurate, and one of them tripped incredibly hard at this dose.

It feels very safe on the body to me, but it does seem to lower my body temperature, though I haven't actually taken my temperature during an experience to verify. But I do get cold, so maybe some vasoconstriction?

i'm unsure as to whether or not it would cause vasoconstriction. I think that term gets thrown around a bit too often these days. Could just be perceptual, or it may cause some body temp irregularities, no real way to know at this point

Yep feeling a bit cold on the "inside" of me :\ Don't know if the temperature drop or something but it felt safe :) Maybe it causes vasoconstriction i don't know :( Maybe someone can told us about it :)

Coldness is quite common side effect during trips, and doesn't specifically related to 4-HO-MET, you can experience that on any psychedelic.

Also, I suppose this effect is mainly psychosomatic, and not caused directly by any of the physical side effects.

Also, why do you worry so much?
You took this psychedelic at least 2 times, so you have two main possible outcomes:
1) You had enough unpleasant side effects from 4-HO-MET that prevent you from further experimenting.
OR
2) You were fine, there were minor side effects, or no side effects at all. So you can experiment with 4-HO-MET quite safely.