• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

4-Fluoroamphetamine (4-FA) - Safety?

Psychestim

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm new to Bluelight and have not come across a 4-FA thread so I thought I'd make one.

I've tried 4-FA once in 2018 on a vacation in Amsterdam and absolutely loved it, which is why I procured half a gram of it to give it another shot (UHPLC-DAD-MS analysis confirmed: 985mg/g 4-FA HCl). I have come across a lot of studies and reports concerning 4-FA's potential health risks and I wondered what you guys think of it? Some harm reduction organizations, especially from NL, have issued many warnings regarding cerebral hemmorhages and strokes associated with the use of 4-FA and they made it out to be a really risky substance to use. But because these warnings are a couple of years old at this point, I messaged ChEckiT! (an Austrian drug-checking organization) and asked them if they had any new insights or information regarding 4-FA's safety profile and/or these extreme cases.

In short, they told me the following (written in my own words):
1. 4-FA was only scarcely studied in humans, but it seems to be a variable compound among certain, susceptible individuals. What might be a mild dose for some could be an overdose for somebody else. This is likely the reason why some of these tragic reactions occured in people that only consumed moderate amounts of 4-FA. People with cardiological problems (e.g. hypertension) or a family history of heart-related issues are at a greater risk of suffering from these negative consequences (which seems plausible to me, but that applies to most stimulants I imagine).

2. Brain hemmorhages are theoretically also possible with the use of extremely high amounts of MDMA and are not exclusive to the use of 4-FA. When 4-FA was sold as 'XTC Light' in the Netherlands, some users ingested copious amounts of 4-FA (and that quite regularily) as the subjective effects of 4-FA were milder and more 'forgiving' than a comparable amount of MDMA. This might've been a contributing factor why some individuals were tempted to use overly high and possibly reckless doses that caused these side-effects.

What do you guys think about this and what are your experiences/concerns/etc. with 4-FA?

Last edited:
I tried a batch that was available last year, imo it was very disappointing and most likely a bad synth, and I tried really hard to like it. I was not the only one reporting these effects (lethargy, only mild serotonin buzz, somewhat boring, no way that was the much hyped and loved 4-FA).

I tried a batch that was available last year, imo it was very disappointing and most likely a bad synth, and I tried really hard to like it. I was not the only one reporting these effects (lethargy, only mild serotonin buzz, somewhat boring, no way that was the much hyped and loved 4-FA).
That's unfortunate. :( I will report back when I decide to dive into mine. The lab-result is pretty much perfect, so I hope it still stands true to my memory from three years ago.

That's unfortunate. :( I will report back when I decide to dive into mine. The lab-result is pretty much perfect, so I hope it still stands true to my memory from three years ago.
Have fun!!
I didn't have it tested, but it couldn't have been anything else really given its effects. Maybe other factors are in play, I'm curious either way :)

Have fun!!
I didn't have it tested, but it couldn't have been anything else really given its effects. Maybe other factors are in play, I'm curious either way :)
Have you tried other fluorinated amphetamines (4-FMA, 3-FEA, etc.) for referance? That description of yours is pretty much identical to what I experienced on 3-FEA and it's commonly sold as a 4-FA replacement.

Have you tried other fluorinated amphetamines (4-FMA, 3-FEA, etc.) for referance? That description of yours is pretty much identical to what I experienced on 3-FEA and it's commonly sold as a 4-FA replacement.
Yeah 3-FMA, 4-FMA, 2-FEA, 3-FEA.... limited experience, but experience nonetheless.
3-FEA was much more of a serotonin bomb, way different to the 4-FA batch where that was more in the background with some weird combination between stimulation and lethargy. I can assure you that it was nothing like any other fluorated amp, and it had a clear amphetamine feel

Tried 4-FA a few times and it was pleasant but the last time I used it (around 150mg) had a seizure. Afterwards, I've done some medical investigations and there were no complications or permanent damages. But hat was the time I said goodbye to RCs.

Tried 4-FA a few times and it was pleasant but the last time I used it (around 150mg) had a seizure. Afterwards, I've done some medical investigations and there were no complications or permanent damages. But hat was the time I said goodbye to RCs.
That sucks... Have you experienced seizures before this incident?

That sucks... Have you experienced seizures before this incident?
Nope, it was my first and only one. Scared me so I've stayed away from any stimulants for about a year. I now try to play it safe but I guess the safest thing would be to quit using stimulants altogether.

Remember using this back around 2010 I believe. One of the better drugs for a party imo, stimulation and a bit of this loved up feeling of MDMA but not too much. I remember that I felt like it was possible to enjoy the experience way more, compared to MDMA where sometimes the hours just fly by because you are feeling TOO amazing haha. Only negative about 4-FA for me was that the "mdma part" of the experience only last a couple of hours and then there was a large tail-end with just "regular" amphetamine stimulation. Wouldn't take it without some GHB on deck for the latter part of the experience (back in the day atleast, haven't had GHB or 4-FA in ages.)

Remember using this back around 2010 I believe. One of the better drugs for a party imo, stimulation and a bit of this loved up feeling of MDMA but not too much. I remember that I felt like it was possible to enjoy the experience way more, compared to MDMA where sometimes the hours just fly by because you are feeling TOO amazing haha. Only negative about 4-FA for me was that the "mdma part" of the experience only last a couple of hours and then there was a large tail-end with just "regular" amphetamine stimulation. Wouldn't take it without some GHB on deck for the latter part of the experience (back in the day atleast, haven't had GHB or 4-FA in ages.)
I would love to give the 4-FA + GHB combo a shot because I have heard so many great things about it, but unfortunately I don't have any GHB/GBL atm. I might mix in some 2C-B/-C when the rolly part transitions into the classic amphetamine stimulation though.

Yeah 3-FMA, 4-FMA, 2-FEA, 3-FEA.... limited experience, but experience nonetheless.
3-FEA was much more of a serotonin bomb, way different to the 4-FA batch where that was more in the background with some weird combination between stimulation and lethargy. I can assure you that it was nothing like any other fluorated amp, and it had a clear amphetamine feel
What you tried may have been 4-FA. I tried it about a dozen or so times (apparently, lol) back in 2010. I say apparently bc I recently read my posts about it here in the forum from my old account. I don't remember taking it that many times nor do I remember dosing as high as I said but if I posted it I must have. I'm not the type to post things that are untrue. Over a decade removed from those experiences I remember little

Anyway, what I do remember of it was that me and the only person I tested it with found it to feel a whole lot like amphetamine, possibly a bit more serotonin but the buzz was basically that of amphetamine yet maybe a spacier headspace? I remember it burned so bad to snort this one.

I wouldn't really call it a roll. Not even a roll light. I think about rolling I think about unconsciously chewing my tongue, whole body rushes of euphoria, eye wiggles, SO much energy to dance, music appreciation, etc. Calling 4-FA that LITE is crazy. If it's that lite then it's super lite on the roll side.

To me 4-FA was like slightly sketched out adderall. I thought flephedrone (4-FMC) was closer to producing a roll however that was lite to me in comparison with 4-MMC.