Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

4 Corners - Ecstasy - "Beneath the mirror ball" June 2001

IWillHostIt

Bluelighter
Hi,

He's a good documentary that I'm sure some bluelighter's will enjoy. It was aired in 2001.

ABC - 4 Corners - Ecstasy - Beneath the Mirror Ball - 4th-Jun-2001.avi

Description: Beneath the Mirror Ball

Every week around 100,000 young Australians head out to raves and dance clubs — marathon parties driven by the incessant beat of electronic dance music.

The rest of the community, more familiar with pub culture and live bands, wonders: what’s the attraction? What’s to like about a scene dominated by a monotonous “dooph dooph dooph” thumping out of samplers, synthesisers and drum machines?

Plenty, say the devotees. And anyone open minded enough and willing enough to explore the dance scene will discover an extraordinarily rich vein of sub-culture.

Four Corners has spent the past two months delving into dance culture to meet a generation defined by its own music, politics, technologies and its own drugs. The program traces dance culture as the latest in a line of youth movements, borrowing from, but different to, hippie culture of the ‘60s and punk of the ‘70s and ‘80s.

Producer Lin Buckfield’s program explores and reflects emerging sub-cultures to the wider community. Dance-scene participants say it’s all about equality:

* “It’s totally pro-diversity.”
* “We want to be in a group of people that want to love each other…We are all sort of wanting that sort of connection with the rest of the world but it just doesn’t happen because the world is pretty hard.”
* “The greatest thing is a sense of living for the moment. As humans we’re normally not very good at that.”

The ravers’ unifying motto is PLUR — peace, love, unity and respect. But they’re no bland homogenous force. There are subtle but important distinctions in the styles of music and these distinctions often define which sub-faction a person identifies with.

For some, it is mostly a matter of having fun. At the other end of the spectrum the music is an anthem to anti-materialist, anti-globalisation politics.

Now corporations have begun marketing to this new expression of youth culture. The result is that some dance culture is being dragged into the mainstream, to the scorn of anarchic underground groups.

Lin Buckfield looks at the role of ecstasy and the dilemma it presents for law enforcement and public health. Unlike alcohol, which fuels violence in pubs and clubs, ecstasy produces waves of warmth and good feeling. But it’s believed to be potentially harmful to users in the medium and long terms.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/dance/default.htm

If you have trouble viewing this video, you should download the codec package: K-Lite. Available at: http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

Last edited:
Ha! you must have posted this within momentss of me sending you an email advising you to start a new thread for the topic.

Now that's got to be some timing =D

I'm downloading it now, I'll let you know what I think when it's done. =)

Thanks for the video.

Its the second sentence in blue color. with the .avi at the end. Right click on the link then click 'save as' to save it to your hard drive.

Unless your talking about the k-lite codec package. In that case I have just updated the download link. Should take you directly to the page where you should download the 'FULL' package.

K-Lite

Last edited:
I think a lot of bluelighters will definitely enjoy this. As did the bluelighters that were actually in it! (link) :D

Cheers for the download - haven't seen it in a while! :)

awsome, i liked it alot..
and the bluelight mention :)
we are all in a underground club :)

and the testing got a mention :)

haha, thanks for posting! brought back some memories. I know a lot of people in the doco and let me be the first to say everyone looks so much younger! ;)

Fan-bloody-tastic! Great doc to see....As good as "ecstasy rising"

i watched this a while back doing research for an essay (which, incidentally, is posted in words - 'rave culture' or something ;)), and it's really good.

of course you'd expect well balanced reporting from the abc, but it's still nice to see an issue addressed like that when it normally just gets the cold shoulder.

I found this documentery embarasing. The bloke with a mitsubishi logo painted on his forehead (OMFG) and his girlfriend make me squirm with shame as she tried to cover up the fact that she was enjoying herself. For me this doco showed a very narrow range of people who take ecstasy. In my years of taking ecstasy most people I know and plenty of strangers would distance our selves from people like mitsubishi head and gf because it makes us look like the stereotypical drug feinds losing it on drugs and painting a pill logo on your forehead (he should of painted a dick)

Glad most of you enjoyed it. Thanks to IWillHostIt for nudging me into digging out the old video cassette recording, and also to him for reformatting and hosting it. It will certainly help to immortalize some of the outspoken bluelighters of that period. It doesn't sound like the quality was too bad for most of you, although the TV reception at the house where it was recorded wasn't good at all, and the the old recorder, even less so.

I was asked to appear on the program myself, but at the time I had a nasty throat thingy which I was about to have surgery for, and it made me sound like an old mafia gangster with a very deep and croaky voice. So you got to see and hear my beautiful girl spesh instead - much better choice... Her few words were later quoted in courses on sociology and other Uni subjects. Great as that was, not all feedback was initially positive.....

At the time she was working in a job requiring a fairly good profile. Most of her day job clients were very conservative, and didn't know she did HR work. One very wealthy lady client who was at that time married to a much younger guy, was very unhappy after seeing the show. She was once a practicing psychologist, married to a well known and respected (late) psychiatrist.

Anyway, she, her husband and his mates were all watching the show when the RaveSafe team came on. One piped up saying that he'd never taken MDMA as he'd always been scared to do so, but now knowing that teams such as RaveSafe were around, he might just attend a rave and give the drug a go. The other younger guys (in their late thirties mind you) agreed. The older lady - a once fervid anti-drugs campaigner - was furious. The next day she stormed into spesh's work and took her to task in front of waiting clients, screaming that concepts such as RaveSafe encouraged drug use, and that drugs destroyed lives etc, etc. Spesh quietly took her aside, and after 15 minutes of explaining the RaveSafe philosophy and how things were in the real world, the lady left wishing her all the best, and more importantly, spesh said she seemed convinced of the merits of Harm Minimisation.

As for mister's comments; at the time it first aired I too cringed when I heard some of those comments. But in all honesty I had to admit that such behavior and morning negativity was seen regularly. I myself used to reach a "had enough point" where the rose coloured glasses had come off and I wanted home, and to get away from everyone.

Not that uncommon really. I doubt that things have changed too much from that time, but maybe with all the 'applied' police presence these days, people are somewhat less inclined to paint their favourite pill logo on their face. Looking back I believe it was important to show this side of MDMA and partying. There's no doubt that for some people, the PLUR of the early night turns into more of a GRRR in the morning.

That was an interesting watch, it was refreshing to see a media angle that wasn't fire and brimstone. However it was only a rasonably narrow view on the ecstasy taking spectrum. MDMA isn't just the rave

It's a shame that the sound and video quality of this is shabby, but still a good watch however. Very worth it!

Does anyone have an active link for 'Ecstasy rising'? ive searched around but i could only find the little promo for it...
:D