• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines 4-AcO-DMT vs. Psilocin

I completely see your point. But, as Xorkoth pointed out earlier, while rate of absorption does change the nature of the experience a bit, the differences between the 4-AcO and 4-HO are more than the difference between, say, oral and rectal administration. I've seen the speed and intensity differ with absorption rate, but I've never seen a different pattern one way or the other. The pattern is clearly different in the 4-AcO and 4-HO. Going IV is a whole nother ball game, as the drug is administered in its entirety instantly, whereas pretty much no matter how else you take it it's going to take at LEAST 15 minutes to be completely absorbed, which is some 60 times longer than IV (assuming 15s for dispersion etc.). Also, if the 4-AcOs were prodrugs administering the 4-HO over time, wouldn't they last longer? But the opposite is true.

Here's what we need to do to find out for sure. Radiolabel the acetoxy group, and radiolabel the nitrogen (or anything else really on the tryptamine skeleton), and see if and for how long they stay together in the body.

psood0nym thats what I've been saying all along that the absorption rates really REALLY affect the subjective experience.

Anybody who has plugged, injected, whatever a drug they are familiar with orally will concur with this statement I think. It really does change the trip quite a bit, subjectively, with those higher absorption rates.

I still think 4-AcO-DMT is active in its own right (ie crosses the BBB) since like I said in post 9 of this thread there are reports of immediate activity via IV administration.

anyways, I think we got it covered. Case closed? =D

Yeah, cased closed. But for many of us the case has been closed since the around the middle of the first 4-AcO-DMT thread when the IV onset profile was discussed, if not before that in a different thread.

Maybe a new thread should be started, but I'd like to hear some of the ADD people comment on how rate of absorption alone might influence a psychedelic's qualitative effects (what butane calls 'pattern' as contrasted with "quantitative" descriptions like 'speed' and 'intensity'.) I assume the idea would take the general form of: neurophysiological process X (maybe stress hormone release or something) occurs in response to substance A only if A enters the brain faster than some rate Q. Where X and A has qualitative psychological effects (pattern) that are distinct from the effects of A and not X. I have no idea what X might really be though.

samadhi_smiles said:
I still think 4-AcO-DMT is active in its own right (ie crosses the BBB) since like I said in post 9 of this thread there are reports of immediate activity via IV administration.
but herion is active immediately when injected too although it's essentially a prodrug. i'm not saying that it has no activity in itself, as the subjective effects seem to be quite different than with psilocin.

does anyone care to share the actual differences between 4-AcO-DMT and psilocin? i'm very curious. been reading a lot about psilacetin and getting 250 mg soon. i'd like to know if psilocin is worth the trouble.

but herion is active immediately when injected too although it's essentially a prodrug. i'm not saying that it has no activity in itself, as the subjective effects seem to be quite different than with psilocin.
This seems to be getting nearer to resolving the source of the confusion (myself included). If indeed there is enough deacetylizing enzyme in the brain to immediately convert heroin to morphine after IV injection then perhaps 4-AcO-DMT is also converted immediately upon entering the brain.

Can someone with more pharmacology knowledge explain if "heroin esterase" is also fully capable of deacetylizing 4-AcO-DMT or not? (I am assuming here that there is no doubt that diacetylmorphine must be converted to bind in the brain). If heroin is very quickly converted to morphine by this enzyme than it seems there's little reason to suspect that the 4-AcO-DMT or any other 4-AcO tryptamine would have time to color the trip on its own, and the subjective differences between 4-AcOs and 4-hos owes entirely to their rate of entrance into the brain.

However, this seems strange because the onset times of 4-hos and 4-AcOs is pretty similar orally and IV, yet the 4-AcO's duration is substantially longer (esp. AcO-DMT's). Both versions seem to be getting into the brain at around the same time, yet the 4-AcO versions tend to last substantially longer than the 4-hos once they're there. This doesn't fit with the idea that conversion to the ho form is immediate. Also, AcO doses are about 50 percent heavier than ho doses for similar intensity of effects. I didn't do the molecular weight math but I'm pretty sure the weight of the cleaved off portion of AcOs is nowhere near 50 percent of the total weight of these AcO tryptamine molecules [EDIT: psilocin mol. mass = 204.27 g/mol and 4-AcO-DMT's = 246.3049 g/mol]. So if both versions cross the blood brain barrier quickly (which they must to be so quickly active by the IV route) and get converted quickly in the brain (similarly to heroin), shouldn't we expect the dosages for similar effects to be far closer by weight (in the case of 4-ho/AcO-DMT around 20 percent)?

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Although I’m no expert, it seems likely that the same aryl-esterase would be responsible for breaking the acetoxy bond of 4-AcO-DMT, seeing as it’s also a substituent of an aromatic ring. A quick search reveals that the half-life of heroin in serum is 2-8 minutes. The aromatic, 3-acetoxy group is generally cleaved first, leaving the primary active metabolite, 6-MAM. The 3-acetoxy group is more easily removed than the non-aromatic, 6-acetoxy group. 6-MAM is reported to have a half-life of 38-45 minutes, while the secondary metabolite, morphine, has a half-life of 90-180 minutes.

I agree that the subjective differences and time courses of 4-HO-DMT and 4-AcO-DMT seem quite different, but I can’t be certain that placebo effect isn’t playing a role...my comparisons are based on two or three unadulterated experiences with each compound over the past few years. I suppose there’s the possibility that the aryl-esterase is not as efficient with the acetoxy group of 4-AcO-DMT, seeing as there are potential steric effects of the nearby alkyl amine. My impression is that this case is far from closed.

I would say at least part of the subjective better experiences with 4-aco compared to natural shrooms is not having to eat the mushrooms themselves - nausea, unpleasant taste and maybe small amounts of other active alkaloids may be unpleasant. Maybe psilocybin is also active on its own and not as pleasant as psilocin?

It seems the general consensus here is: 4-aco is probably active on its own, but similar enough to mushrooms that most users would probably need a lot of experience with both to even tell them apart. Most people seem to think they are about equally desirable or that 4-aco is slightly to moderately more desirable.

If/when my vendor of choice restocks 4-aco fumarate, I may have to give it a whirl.

I Do believe it was shown somewhere that 4-aco-dmt is a slightly more potent substance.

Now i've always been a mushroom maniac. When i was 14 i ate mushrooms, way before i smoked weed. All throughout highschool, i used to eat mushrooms and go to class. In highschool i would eat mushrooms... 2-3times a week.

I've eaten a half ounce of mushrooms more times than i can count on all my fingers and toes. I've 'made mushrooms my bitch" Now this has nothing to do with tolerance or taking a break or anything like that. I would generally eat a 1/2 oz of mushrooms once or twice a month, when I used to grow my own mushrooms. I have the most expensive mushroom kit mushroom troll has to offer, and i was growing roughly 20pounds dry a month.

Eating a Half Ounce to a Little over a half ounce... a couple times a month was giving me more problems in my digestive system than my brain. Mostly because having to digest all of that wonderous plant material was making my stomach not enjoy the consumption of food.

I.e. Severe Heart Burn all the time.

Another thing i noticed. Mushrooms used to do the same kind of circular thinking 2c-e does.
Except the Circular Synchroncity feeling of mushrooms is more attached to a random chaos than a "commanding dominating thunderous godly voice" which 2c-e is.

4-aco-dmt, is MORE Spiritual and LESS Chaotic than actual mushrooms.

But i'm telling you, it does not get interesting until the at least the 50mg mark is hit.
The Higher you go, it almost feels like "the less awkward it gets" There have been times on low doses of 4-aco-dmt, where i literally wanted it to end, because i was shifting between hot and cold and a profound feeling of just general awkwardness in my own body//brain. Followed by an Inability to effectively communicate a rational train of thought, which is something, that doesn't happen very often with me.

Then again, it could just be receptor annihilation through all the years of my psychedelic use, but i highly doubt it.
(i'd like to say if my brain was a cheese, it is a well aged swiss, Full of Holes, but still very delicious.)

I've noticed this...

Lower doses of mushrooms, back when i used to eat mushrooms produced a more profound feeling of general discomfort than high doses of mushrooms. Thats not saying.
I'm eating mushrooms, until i'm on the floor, in a sputtering drooling awkward wreck, That is saying I'm eating mushrooms to have a religious experience. Not a "good time"

I guess it's kind of like, if their are Shamans for ayahuasca, and Shamans for Mescaline and Peyote, i am a Mushroom Shaman,

If i had a Church, 4-aco-dmt would be the Communion Wafer. Followed by a Glass of Caapi vine. ^.^

I would say that too most people inexperienced with mushrooms.

50mg feels like a little over a Quarter of the Strongest Mushrooms you will ever eat.

my niche lies between 60-90 with this material.

I have consumed up to 120. But that took me to my core and showed me things from the lesser used regions of my mind which well, were spectacular and glorious. But shouldn't be visited on a regular basis, for they are the kinds of things that breed insanity....

^The idea that low doses can actually be more stressful and anxiety provoking than a fully psychedelic dose seems to be a pretty common sentiment.

25mg of 4-aco-dmt is much more powerful than an 1/8th of shrooms for me. I can't imagine taking 120mg at once. I tend to be sensitive to tryptamines though.

Just to reiterate, this thread is specifically meant to address the apparent subjective differences between synthetic psilocin (4-OH-DMT) and psilacetin (4-AcO-DMT) in their pure forms. Comparisons with mushrooms are more difficult due differences in absorption and the possible presence of multiple psychoactive compounds in differing ratios.

Maybe psilocybin is also active on its own and not as pleasant as psilocin?

The phosphoryloxy group is probably too polar to cross the BBB (I could be wrong about that).

...plus, the participants in the recent Johns' Hopkins study found psilocybin to be quite positive...mystical even.

Thanks for the info Dondante. So can you extrapolate from that enzyme's work time on heroin to make a prediction about half-life from the way 4-AcO-DMT is put together?

I've used 4-ho-DMT and 4-AcO IM a number of times and the duration has always been substantially longer for 4-AcO (for me 4-ho barely lasts over 1.5 hours IM and about 3 hours orally, whereas 4-AcO lasts around 3 - 4 IM and over 5 orally). I don't think it's placebo, especially since a longer duration for other 4-AcOs besides 4-AcO-DMT is the norm in reports. For example, Erowid lists the oral duration of 4-AcO-DiPT at 2 - 4 hours and 4-ho-DiPT at 2 - 3. Up to 8 hour durations of 4-AcO-DMT for oral doses are reported in the B&D 4-AcO-DMT thread, too.

^Not possible, unless someone with more knowledge of pharmacology can suggest a more relevant analogy than deacetylation of heroin. Even then, any conclusions would be highly speculative.

Perhaps not all of the 4aco is deacetylized so quickly. I think its obvious that some is, but could a substantial portion retain the acetoxy group until it gets to the liver? I don't know that much about heroin, is all of it deacetylized first pass?

I've been growing and eating various species of mushrooms for years. I am still in love with them, and the universe they opened for me, fills me with awe. But hell, those little fuckers taste nasty! I gag when I just think of it. Even dried and ground to powder they are nauseating. Dosing of plant materials with essentialy unknown concentrations of the active compound remains guesswork even with a lot of experience. So looking for an alternative I turned to 4-ACO-DMT. Yeah, dosing is easier and there are much less side effects (nausea, muscle twitching, headache).

Pharmacological theories aside 4-ACO-DMT and mushrooms provide similar but distinctive experiences for me.

They are subtle but important. 4-ACO-DMT leaves even at high doses a part of my self as a sober sometimes even austere spectator behind. This affords some precise and crystal clear self analysis, which is valuable, but not always welcome. Do I always want to be _that_ clear headed even while tripping hard? No.
Yes, mushrooms trips can be unpredictable, chaotic and difficult to integrate or remember, but the intense euphoria and fairy-tale-magic they offer is notably absent with 4-aco-dmt.
The visuals are almost identical, maybe even more insane with 4-aco-dmt. But the sense that inanimate objects are coming to live as breathing living entities is something I only find with mushrooms.
I can confirm the longer duration of 4-aco-dmt trips, and love the soft landing. Mushrooms often kick you out very aprupt.
4-aco-dmt is an intriguing and powerful substance, but it has a cool touch to it. For me, it has it's place besides mushrooms but it can't replace them.

For whatever reason, I find 4-AcO-DMT to come on equally as quickly or even more quickly than 4-HO-DMT, and the effects are even shorter. For me, 4-AcO-DMT is not very similar for mushrooms or psilocin. It's more like a drawn-out and less intense version of smoked DMT. It is over truly quickly for me, 2 hours maximum.

I really think there's more going on with the 4-AcO-tryptamines than simple conversion to the 4-HO version in vivo. I think that it must be able to pass through the BBB to varying degrees, or perhaps is broken down slower in some leading to more passing through the BBB, creating its own unique effects.

Whatever the case may be, I can guarantee that in a double-blind test, I could discern between the two 100% of the time. My trips with the two have never been similar except in certain specific ways. The states are certainly related, but they're not even basically the same thing, for me. I wish 4-AcO-DMT was more like psilocin for me. I vastly prefer psilocin.

And for the record, I also have experimented a fair amount with pure synthesized psilocin (4-HO-DMT) and found it to be different from mushrooms too, though very similar indeed. It was almost nothing like 4-AcO-DMT for me though. Pure psilocin had an intense ego-crushing aspect to it where I would quickly approach nonexistence/"godness", whereas 4-AcO-DMT never feels very spiritual to me except in one +4 trip with AMT where I felt that I was channeling the god energy directly and radiating intense love, and in that instance the spiritual state was quite a bit different in character and more ego-focused and as someone else mentioned, quite sober for a peak psychedelic experience. With psilocin (and mushrooms) it is a much more intense, unstable and awe-inspiring roller coaster ride of ego dissolution.

I agree Xorkoth, the onset of 4AcO-DMT is simiar to that of DMT but slowed down. Oral DMT with Moclobemide can be almost identical. I think this is because oral DMT + Moclobemide allows a more gradual rise in levels at the synapse in the same profile as 4AcO.
I reckon I could do the Pepsi challenge between Psilocin and 4AcO. For me, Psilocin is a little more unforgiving emotionally, but very worthwhile aswell. I like 4AcO for its more euphoric tone. Both have their usefull respective points inrelation to these differences. However I think that in both cases, the depth of emotional processing that can be accessed is phenomenal, just of a differing viewpoint. To put it bluntly, psilocin can have the flavour of an old testament style deity, of wrath and judgement, while 4AcO is all forgiveness and love.
Both aspects have their truths.
I enjoyed your report on 'Everything' with AMT and 4AcO-DMT Xork. I found myself nodding along with your ideas as I read. I do reckon that AcO can tap into the divine stuff, but it is usually a bit lighter on its feet than 4HO.
I used to use mushrooms quite a lot when they were legal in the UK. I was often surprised by the differences in qualitative feel between different batches and strains which I could not honestly atribute to dosages alone. It is known that other similar substances are present in varying amounts amongst the various types. Some of these substances are less active directly themselves but may provide addittional substrates for the eliminating enzymes, and thus modulate the effects profile overall. I think I remember some N-Methyl-Tryptamine reports being kind of underwhelming but perhaps it plays some role in the mushroom experience.

Peace - Pipp

I thought it was well known that the several other psychoactive compounds in shrooms, while lower in dose than psilocin, have very profound effects on the nature of the experience. Such that different strains of shrooms, even if adjusted to give precisely the same mgs of psilocin are very well known to cause extremely different set of effects. Look up psilocybe cubensis on wikipedia or elsewhere and you can read alot about the other compounds and the reports by many users that they have a large impact on the trip.

Much more complex than either pure 4-aco-dmt or pure 4-ho-dmt. And always ALOT more challenging, physically, mentally and emotionally. One may on occasion prefer the deeper challenge, and on other occasions prefer the "easier", purer experience of the simple chems. They are different, is all, each with its own uses.

For whatever reason, I find 4-AcO-DMT to come on equally as quickly or even more quickly than 4-HO-DMT, and the effects are even shorter. For me, 4-AcO-DMT is not very similar for mushrooms or psilocin. It's more like a drawn-out and less intense version of smoked DMT. It is over truly quickly for me, 2 hours maximum.

My experience is very similar.
4 aco dmt comes on in 15-30 min and the main effects are done btwn 2-3 hours.

But i do get a residual stimulation that wont let me sleep till hour 5 or 6.
Its a nice couple of hours though where i reflect on the experience.

As far as being similar to dmt or mushrooms.
I find low doses to be like a DMT afterglow and high doses are similar to mushrooms but without such anxiety.

I thought it was well known that the several other psychoactive compounds in shrooms, while lower in dose than psilocin, have very profound effects on the nature of the experience. Such that different strains of shrooms, even if adjusted to give precisely the same mgs of psilocin are very well known to cause extremely different set of effects. Look up psilocybe cubensis on wikipedia or elsewhere and you can read alot about the other compounds and the reports by many users that they have a large impact on the trip.

Much more complex than either pure 4-aco-dmt or pure 4-ho-dmt. And always ALOT more challenging, physically, mentally and emotionally. One may on occasion prefer the deeper challenge, and on other occasions prefer the "easier", purer experience of the simple chems. They are different, is all, each with its own uses.

It is definitely well-known that mushrooms contain a variety of other tryptamines as well, and that different species/strains tend to have different ratios. But many people believe that the effects are just due to psilocin because the others (baeocystin, sometimes some DMT I believe, and others) are inactive (which they basically are taken alone), or in the case of psilocybin (4-PO-DMT) they are just converted in vivo to psilocin, and they thusly believe that perceived differences between strains of mushrooms are placebo, and that the only real effect is from psilocin.

Personally I find this to be kind of a silly idea. For one thing, several users on this forum a couple of years back obtained pure baeocystin and found it to definitely have subtle effects, mostly body-related (energy, limb movements, etc). And anyway, if we are to accept that some drugs can synergize with others, as in the case of LSD and MDMA, to create new effects that are not seen with either alone, then why couldn't the inactive or barely active tryptamines synergize with the psilocin to create new and different effects? And who knows if there are compounds in the mushrooms that, when ingested, occupy certain receptor sites or perform other neurochemical-level functions that allow the psilocin to work in different ways? Mushrooms and other plant-based psychedelics, and any plants or really any life-form for that matter, are complex organic chemical soups. There are all kinds of extremely complex reactions and activity and chain-reactions going on all the time. It seems a lot more likely to me that introducing new tryptamine alkaloids, and a fair variety of them at that, would alter the effects of psilocin. I would like to hear a convincing argument otherwise.

This is separate from the question of whether 4-PO-DMT/psilocybin, and by extension 4-AcO-DMT, is just a simple prodrug of psilocin, or if it's like I suspect, that everyone has unique levels of enzymes that make it so that for some it is quickly converted to 4-HO-DMT and basically is qualitatively identical or nearly so to psilocin, and for others it is converted more slowly and various amounts of unconverted psilocybin/4-AcO-DMT pass through the BBB and are experienced directly.

And I totally agree that the pure compounds are much "easier" experiences, although I've had a very intense ego-crushing and terrifying trip on pure 4-HO-DMT. Mushrooms are much more complex and I prefer them, but also am the most cautious of them.

My experience is very similar.
4 aco dmt comes on in 15-30 min and the main effects are done btwn 2-3 hours.

But i do get a residual stimulation that wont let me sleep till hour 5 or 6.
Its a nice couple of hours though where i reflect on the experience.

As far as being similar to dmt or mushrooms.
I find low doses to be like a DMT afterglow and high doses are similar to mushrooms but without such anxiety.

It's weird... for me, 4-AcO-DMT is pretty sedating. I've actually passed out on very strong experiences and gotten very drowsy during low-dose experiences. DMT doesn't have this effect but it is still relaxing. However, psilocin and mushrooms make me pretty stimulated (except for a few mushrooms I've had) and very wanting to move around.