• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

24 days off of buprenorphine and i feel terrible./ withdrawals from Tramadol?

martinbr

Greenlighter
Hello, I have been off bupenorphine for 24 days now and feel worse than when I started. I have have been using Tramadol as a sub to to cushion the withdrawal, but now I stopped that last night and I might be having withdrawals from that. I didn't take it that long. I had a 120 tabs 50mg that I was taking from 3-4 per day. That's it. Is that enough to get addicted to Tramadol? I was on Bup 16mg's for the past two years. I thought around close to a month I might be feeling better. But it's worse!
No energy, can't sleep, restless legs. I feel like my nerves want to jump right out of my legs and chest. I have had about 4 hours of sleep in the past 3 days. And then add the age in there. I am 65 years old. Was a roofer for 35 years, and my body is pretty beat up. That's how i got addicted in the first place. So is there hope here, or am I going to feel rotten for the rest of my life? I hope not, but very discouraging at this point. I have things to do and do no have enough energy to do anything. I have to see the doctor here again today. I was going to ask to get another script of Tramadol, but maybe something else would be more beneficial at this stage. A couple people have mentioned Clonindine? I see this is a drug for helping opiad withdrawal.
thanks,
martinbr

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions about the sub WD... I've actually just started taking suboxone as a way to detox from oxys. I was doing 150mg/day of oxy and knew I couldn't stop cold turkey and was able to get a hold of 7 of the 8mg strips. I'm taking 4mg/day of sub right now and I'm on day 6. My biggest fear in using the subs is that I've heard horrible things about the WD and was wondering if you did a taper from your daily dose or did you stop suddenly? If you don't mind my asking, did you feel the subs helped you while you were taking them?
I hope your WD symptoms lessen soon and that someone here can offer some advice on that.

I kinda tapered down. I was taking 16mg for two years. The last week I tapered down to 8mg. I actually was taking buprenorphine because the suboxone strips got to be so damned expensive. My advice to you as use it as a very short time to get off opiads period. Because that's all suboxone is. Your trading one for another. I should have stopped a long time ago and now I am paying the price.
martinbr

Martin -

I'm sorry you are feeling so crummy. I believe it does get better, but then again, we have to believe that (I'm in early recovery too!), don't we? I trust the people on this board who are further along in their recovery than I am. And they tell me that it gets better.

As to your questions about subs and tramadol...it sounds like it might be a bit of both. I am not a sub expert, but I think your taper was really quick. Normally, it's advisable to taper for months, depending on the amount you are taking. Is there a reason you quit when you did? If you are really struggling, do you have an option to go back on subs and taper longer?

Others will come and give good advice and they know much more about subs. Best of luck, Martin! We are in those trenches with you.

- VE

VastEmpty,

The reason I had to get off so fast was a health related reason with my heart. It was bringing my heart pulse levels down to dangerous levels. Anywhere from 37 to 45 bpm. Supposed to be 60-100. Now my pulse is in normal ranges. Also I just didn't feel clean going to meetings and having this crap in my system.
thanks,
martinbr

Martin -

Thats too bad that it causes serious health concerns with your heart. Sounds like you made the right choice in quitting. I just wish you were able to taper for longer without ill effects. But it is what it is.

I think CH is right - just stay strong and keep pushing forward.

- VE

I too am trying to get off the BUP's

I got up to 240 mg oxycontins In two years

Kicked and for 72 days was out of my mind depressed
Day 73 happy as a child again

A month later my back/leg sciatica was so severe I took a chance and went under the knife

Surgeon knicked the nerve and made it way worse

Long story short I the. Was on lots of methadone until last year when I jumped into hydromorphones
Nightmare

Six months ago I crawled into a mental Heath clinic begging for help
This is when I met the suboxone dr

8mg x's three a day

I was so tired I couldn't make it from the shop
To the house without wanting to lay down on the porch and nap
Like I couldn't make the last 20' to my bed I would lay down outside if it wouldn't have looked crazy

So I started tapering off and now am at 1 mg a day

As close to .5mg every 12 hours
Jan 1 I plan on going to .75
7 days later .5 then to .25 and .12 and jump off

My main question is this
Why do I feel way worse when I finally make 12 hours then I do when I'm at ten hours since taking?

I think I feel bad but it gets three times as bad when I make it to dose time??

Few hours later I'll be so doped UP I feel like the first time taking 5/500 Vicodin

I feel for the roofer
Hang in there man it most def 100% gets better

Might take a few months but it will if you fight like you've never fought before

My restless leg gets so bad I call it disco dancing in bed

God Bless is All

Thanks for the support It's been a month off bupe's and starting to feel a little bit better. Getting my energy back. But I have been using some Tramadol to take the edge of the withdrawal. And that really isn't a very good ideal, but it was so brutal I couldn't take it anymore. And i had to go to the doctor and get some Kolonopin because I couldn't take the not sleeping anymore. I am tapering off the Tramadol. But these Klonopins are kicking my ass. I could hardly stand up. Man, I can' wait to get off all this shit. I just want to get healthy again. Good luck to you....

I know, but the positive of it all is that my heart rate is up in normal levels since I have been off the suboxone. So I am happy about that.
martibr

How has the tramadol use/cessation affected your cardiac issue? I know that stuff can be a problem with people with heart issues.

I feel for you brother. I quit a 6 year 5-6 Mg a day bupe habit a little over a year ago. It was torturous. The depression simply cannot be put into words. I'm in no way advocating this but here's my story.... I saved up a buncha money working and quit thinking "OK... one month clean and I should feel good..." Not exactly the case, then I got pancreatitis, got high once, started getting high once a week which ended up with a perpetual w/d deal of me getting high for 1 day, feeling like shit for 5, then feeling decent on day six and then repeating the cycle all over again. Long story short I was running outta money quick and tried kratom and it saved my ass. I took it for about a year and just quit with literally next to ZERO withdrawal symptoms. I'm in no way advocating you switch substances but I'd take kratom over a pharmy any day of the week.

P.S. Also... I was a third your age and experienced horrible symptoms... I can't imagine the agony your experiencing. Bupe is no joke, It's diet heroin man. As it sits right now I'd ask your doc for a couple days of something to sleep, (klonopin,valium), just a few days because those things are a slippery slope as well but, sometimes even 5 6 hours of sleep can be pure orgasmic. Hot baths are a godsend as well... I would no shit get in and out of a hot bath 3-4 times throughout the evening just stop bouncing and jump straight into bed praying to a god I don't believe in I could get a little sleep. Anyone feel free to call me stupid or contradict me but I believe a little kratom maybe called for in this situation.... It's a very forgiving drug with a low ceiling effect.

Sub detox takes for fucking ever. 30 days of withdrawals is almost expected but I think you prolonged it with the tramadol a bit. I bet you feel marginally better within the next week. Try to score some comfort meds like gabapentin, clonidine, ibuprofen.

But to only point out the severity of the duration of bumper or phone withdrawal is misleading, as the implicit comparison will be to short acting full agonists, where the withdrawal is, yes, shorter, but no, significantly more intense.

And to say 30 days is to be expected of buprenorphine withdrawal is somewhat misleading. Actuality it takes between as little as ten days to a month for the acute symptoms to subside, with as little as three weeks and as long as six months for the rest of the symptoms to resolve, all given the specifics particulars of the circumstances surrounding one's use of course.

I feel for you brother. I quit a 6 year 5-6 Mg a day bupe habit a little over a year ago. It was torturous. The depression simply cannot be put into words. I'm in no way advocating this but here's my story.... I saved up a buncha money working and quit thinking "OK... one month clean and I should feel good..." Not exactly the case, then I got pancreatitis, got high once, started getting high once a week which ended up with a perpetual w/d deal of me getting high for 1 day, feeling like shit for 5, then feeling decent on day six and then repeating the cycle all over again. Long story short I was running outta money quick and tried kratom and it saved my ass. I took it for about a year and just quit with literally next to ZERO withdrawal symptoms. I'm in no way advocating you switch substances but I'd take kratom over a pharmy any day of the week.

P.S. Also... I was a third your age and experienced horrible symptoms... I can't imagine the agony your experiencing. Bupe is no joke, It's diet heroin man. As it sits right now I'd ask your doc for a couple days of something to sleep, (klonopin,valium), just a few days because those things are a slippery slope as well but, sometimes even 5 6 hours of sleep can be pure orgasmic. Hot baths are a godsend as well... I would no shit get in and out of a hot bath 3-4 times throughout the evening just stop bouncing and jump straight into bed praying to a god I don't believe in I could get a little sleep. Anyone a free to call me stupid or contradict me but I believe a little kratom maybe called for in this situation.... It's a very forgiving drug with a low ceiling effect.

I am taking Kolonipin now and I think it is giving me a severe cough. I have read that this is one of the side effects. But I have lung problems anyway. COPD or Asthma. Have been eating cough drops like candy. Can't lay down and sleep. Going to doctor tomorrow to find out, but have a feeling he really doesn't know what the hell is going on. He will just suggest a xray in which I think I should get anyway. The funny thing is, when I got off opiads eight years ago, I had the same thing after quitting the drugs for months I was eating cough drops. This is miserable.