• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Football 2019/2020 NFL Discussion Thread v. Superman Returns...and then leaves again

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the rule, it's the lowering of the helmet that draws the foul. Regardless of the body part.

As Ali has shown, you can't conclusively prove intent.

from what you posted its just against a helmet to helmet hit.. I might have missed something here though?

Last edited:
from what you posted its just against a helmet to helmet hit.. I might have missed something here though?

Yeah, technically it's just the head. but I'd like to think head, shoulder, neck, etc would be all protected given their proximity to each other.

i did some background reading on that hit and this resonated with me:

"Like can we put this into perspective? It wasn't helmet to helmet. It wasn't a low hit. It wasn't a particularly late hit. Nobody fucking blocked him so of course he's coming in hot. He led with his helmet, you can fault him for that but it happens every game. LBs are taught to hit as hard as they can ESPECIALLY if they're hitting the QB! Are they just supposed to avoid his shoulder because it showed up on the injury report? That isn't how it works. Y'all act like Panthers players have never gotten a roughing the passer but the reality of it is nobody would remember this play if it hadn't made Cam's shoulder worse."

alasdair

Are we just copying and pasting shit from reddit now? I'm not going to continue to address the same points, especially when you just ignore them and say whatever you want.

I wonder if Robert Kraft is going to allow an alleged rapist to start against Miami on Sunday? Shouldn't they just put him on ice until November when they might need him? Then again he's best friends with Trump so I guess he doesn't care that much about that. Also he'll probably just get any evidence against AB ruled inadmissible, like he did in his own prostitution/human trafficking case.

Last edited:
Are we just copying and pasting shit from reddit now? I'm not going to continue to address the same points, especially when you just ignore them and say whatever you want.
you seem to be taking my comments about cam as an attack on you or personally somehow.

fwiw, i'm not 'just' doing anything. i found a comment which resonated with me and informed the discussion and so i reproduced it here. we're not allowed to copy and paste?

i'm not ignoring your points, @mal3volent, i'm discussing an issue with you. and sure, like you - like everybody here - i am saying what i want. isn't that how discussion works?

if you have a problem my comments - any comments here - it's entirely up to you whether you want to respond or ignore. again, isn't this how it works?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alasdair

I'm not taking it personally @alasdairm . I sometimes am noticeably annoyed by your arguments but that dissipates quickly. Sorry for my tone, I do appreciate the conversation even if we do always disagree on this subject.

As to the reddit post, like I said I don't see how it informs the discussion when I've already addressed pretty much everything it mentions. A lot of the things it brings up are silly: it's wrong but other people do it too, as if that's an excuse. LBs are taught to hit QBs hard...ok, who said anything about him being hit hard? I thought we were talking about it being a targeted hit. Avoid shoulder because it showed up on the injury report? No, but it would be common courtesy to try not to injure a defenseless player and effectively end their entire fucking season.

He had a clear path to Cam. He got to him in plenty of time. There is NO excuse for him lowering his helmet and hitting him directly in his throwing shoulder. Seriously Ali, is it too much to ask? Keep your head up? Make contact with their torso?

we agree that leading with his helmet is a bad thing.

i know these guys are pros playing at a very high level but i also appreciate that, in the moment and at the speed and level of intensity that these things happen, it's not always going to be technique-perfect 100% of the time and, when it's not, it's not always because the defensive player had murderous intent. it happens in the blink of an eye and it's easy to could-have and should-have on monday morning from the comfort and safety of a chair :)

alasdair

it depends on the specifics of the case but sure, it's a factor.

alasdair

specifics of the case

Like shooting unarmed black men in the heat of the moment, blink of an eye? I think you and I both would expect them to follow procedure, law, and their training and not resort to deadly force right away. Same with highly paid athletes in intense moments...I think they should be held to similar standards. Careers, livelihoods, and the players physical well being are on the line.

bold predictions for week 2?

1. raiders beat the chiefs
2. jags beat the texans
3. browns and jets combine for 8+ touchdowns
4. te's hockenson and waller both have better games than zach ertz and george kittle

what you got?

alasdair

last week he went 22 of 25 (88% ) with 2 td and 1 int (which wasn't really his fault) putting him 7th last week in terms of passer rating.

but, still, it is a bold prediction :)

alasdair

And yes, I was/am pretty traumatized by these first two games. I only slept like 2 hours last night. But now after much introspection, I've arrived at the place i was at last season. I've accepted we aren't a playoff team right now. It's not just one thing. Say all you want about Cam (and YES he was terrible last night) , Ron Rivera is FUCKED this is a recurring problem. I don't care who initially called that play, the HC has the ability to change it. It's on him. We lost like three games last year because of this same shit.

I don't know what to believe about Cams health. I get they aren't ready to admit he's injured but what other possible explanation is there for him having negative rushing yards through the first two games? For not calling a qb sneak on 4th and inches? That's who Cam is. Even if he is hurt ... the games on the line...it's one play. Just fucking dive forward and you'll get the chance to win the game.

The team owner David Tepper is not gonna put up with this shit long. I give him credit for giving Rivera/Cam another shot this season, trying to update Cams game. But unless something clicks next week and it turns out Cam actually is somewhat healthy... shits gonna hit the fan.

Last edited:
By the way, anyone can talk about other subjects at any time. Don't mind me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.