• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids 2 identical prescriptions instead of one for today and one post-dated for next month

PatchouliStink

Greenlighter
My doctor wrote me two prescriptions because he says he can't do refills on that medication (Norco). He wrote two for the exact same date in November, the day I saw him. He looked at it and said, one of these will be good for December.

It's written "take 1-2 tablets every four hours if needed for pain."

Does anyone know if having two identical prescriptions filled 30 days apart is a problem? I'm wondering if I should go back to the doctor and have him change the date on the prescription. It's a hassle, but if the pharmacy won't fill it, I'll have to do that anyway. I could call them, but everyone is so tense about this particular medication, I hesitate to do so.

Thanks!
Patch

Last edited:
Did he on it fill by _________ this date, whatever it may be in December?

No. It's not post-dated. It just has my name, the drug, strength, amount, instructions, his signature and the date he wrote it.

It would be wise to get the date changed. The DEA sort of views this as refilling a C-II but does allow a doctor to write out up to 3 rxs for C-IIs, all dated on the date he saw you, with instructions on which dates in the future to fill them. Also, depending on your state, that rx may only be good for 30 days (maybe less), so it may expire. Federal law doesnt provide for expiration dates.

That makes sense to me. What I don't understand is, wouldn't my doctor KNOW that? He looked at the RX, realized he'd done it, and said it would be "good for December." Surely he knows the RX laws? I imagine that I couldn't tell the pharmacy to just call his office since it's a C-II. The office is a 40 minute drive away and I'm lazy.

It depends on your state. The DEA allows changes to anything except the name of the patient, the name of the drug, and the name/signature of the prescriber but individual state laws may be more strict.

It's dated for the 11th, so I wonder what would happen if I dropped it off on the 9th. They'd either fill it or say that I need to call the doctor, and that would give me a 2 day window of not running out of medicine if they needed the doctor to change the RX. What do you think?

I just checked California law and scripts for controlled substances are valid for 6 months after the date written from what I see. Of course I dont practice there and verification from someone who does would be best, but it is written pretty clearly in the Health and Safety code.

As to why your doctor doesnt know, your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps he normally doesnt write for recurring scripts of narcotics so had no need to know. Or maybe he did know, but got the procedure wrong. Or maybe he was doing it this way before it was allowed and never changed. He could have just been busy and said fuck it, let the pharmacy figure it out.

Last edited:
This is what my PM group does to avoid the hassle of monthly appointments. I get identical script, same date and everything. One, however, states "do not fill before_____" with a date inserted. Since my state and Federal laws don't allow for a refill, you have to resent a new written script each time.

This is what my PM group does to avoid the hassle of monthly appointments. I get identical script, same date and everything. One, however, states "do not fill before_____" with a date inserted. Since my state and Federal laws don't allow for a refill, you have to resent a new written script each time.

Same here, although I don't get refills per se for my Opanas. I almost always see my doc 1-3 days before I'm due for a new script and it always has the verbiage you wrote above. It has a place for the "date written" and a place for "do not fill before my due date". They never mess up this point and it's always on day 31, like I've written in numerous posts how much of a pet peeve this is of mine; but I digress. Super nice of you (Kitty) to be willing to look up things (CA laws) like that. Please don't ever leave us........Your willingness to share here is most invaluable!!