• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 1,4 Butanediol???

dead93mau5

Bluelighter
hello, I used to have a friend of mine give me his Xyrem (GHB) all the time and I absolutely loved it. However, this friend has moved away now. I do not have access to GBL but I can get 1,4 butanediol. I do not know much at all about butanediol and how it compares to GHB. Is it a similar effect? Is it a precursor drug to GHB? Does the high suck or is it awesome? What is your knowledge of this drug because I am considering ordering a 1kg bottle very soon.

It's supposedly a good replacement for GBL or GHB, but not good for long term use. I read somewhere on here a while ago about a few people who where noticing toxicity symptoms after a few weeks. I don't really remember what they were, but you might be able to find it in the reports. I would personally steer clear of that stuff. It's a diol, so unlike GHB it has toxic metabolites. It's probably not bad for occasional use though. There's always a place to find GHB; it's not that hard to get anymore.

And to describe the high (I've never used it personally, so take it as it is), it's a lot like GHB, but with a more drunken feeling like alcohol.

GHB is impossible for me to get as the only ppl I hang out with don't use drugs.

I've had 1.4-B' before, to me it it didn't seem that different from GBL (GBL to me seems abit stronger/sedative then GHB) but obviously don't use it 24/7 as it's not GHB (Which is a hell of a lot healthier and has actual documented studies on the stuff.)

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to get this out. I too ran out of GBL and switched long term to 1,4-B. It works but it's not as "clean" a feeling as ghb and I unfortunately lost the love of my life. Not because of "it", but I cheated with someone and began questioning my then 13 year relationship with my live in girl. Since I starting taking more to cope with my confusion my long term love left me and of course the affair meant nothing to me after I realized what I lost. I dove deeper into using to mask my feelings and have been alone ever since. That was 3 years ago and not a day goes by I don't think of her and how I can't believe what I did and how I behaved. I could have even had her back but I would get manic and pass it by. I am now taking Pregabalin to try to rid myself once and for all and so I can sleep normally again. NEVER EVER use this stuff 24/7. You can easily lose the things you love.

Butanediol has had tox studies done, it's not any worse than GHB is for you, and in fact BDO is not active as a sedative unless metabolized. Just remember BDO is more potent by weight than NaGHB.

It looks a lot like ghb and gbl so it should act the same. <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Butanediol has had tox studies done, it's not any worse than GHB is for you, and in fact BDO is not active as a sedative unless metabolized. Just remember BDO is more potent by weight than NaGHB.
I have to somewhat disagree with you. This is partly based on anecdotal reports on erowid and lyceum documenting liver problems after infrequent use. Doesn't 1,4-b have some similar metabolites to alcohol that slightly differs from the metabolites of GHB. This is based on one study discussed on The Lycaeum. Check it out. The title is " 1-4_Butanediol Toxicity". 1,4-BDO has far less studies done on it in regards to daily use for recreational or medical purposes. Are there any studies on the toxic effects from ingesting recreational dosages multiple times each day say for 3-6 months?

Here's a better reference, the National Toxicology Program analysis on BDO. It's a very extensive study where they fed rats, mice, rabiits, etc very high levels of BDO daily and measured changes in their physiology... even feeding preagnant mice etc. as well as collecting all the literature on human usage of BDO as a prodrug for GHB. They note that any toxic effects in animal models to the liver are very minor, only present at incredibly high daily doses, and yet still are not statistically significant. Also, when administered to humans, BDO is instantaneously converted to GHB as judged from plasma levels, so there is no reason to believe it has any unique metabolites that effect its toxicology - BDO simply doesn't hang around at all, it really is a prodrug. And when taken orally you'd expect even more metabolism to GHB, not less!

NTP report said:
This conversion occurs rapidly; following intravenous injection of 1,4-butanediol in humans, the plasma concentration-time profile of y-hydroxybutyric acid as a metabolite is nearly superimposable over that obtained after intravenous injection of y-hydroxybutyric acid as the parent (Vree et al., 1978).

So when I hear anecdotal reports of liver damage from polysubstance users that just happen to also use BDO of unknown pedigree (it's used in plastic synthesis... there are both purer "reagent" and less-pure "technical" grades and the specification for purity is somewhat looser for the latter) it just somehow does not provide a rigorous argument against the safety of pure BDO. For all I know these people could also be ingesting mystery stabilizers, or production impurities, or even possibly consuming BDO mixed with plasticizer or something nefarious. Or binge drinking, or whatever else. The boogeyman of "BDO causes liver damage" has just not proven to be true with my experience.

I've messed with it on a daily basis for a while some years back and have had absolutely no ill effects, nor has anyone I shared it with.

I have to agree with sekio. Just did 1.4 for maybe 5 months almost daily with zero side effects except falling asleep when done a bit too much. Always during the day and never using with an intention to fall asleep, making sure my sleep is healthy.
Doses were about 1,3-1,4 ml as a starting dose (I'm a 60 kg female that's sensitive to everything and doesn't do much of any other stuff) with the "follow ups" of 0,6-0,8 ml during the day to the total of around 6 ml. The feeling was always nice and clean with no nausea or "toxic" effects (maybe a bit nauseous when reading in the car but this can happen to me sober).
However one day I took it from another supplier and that stuff was all that bdo has a bad rep for: intoxicated feeling, nausea, longer acting and needed a smaller dose, didn't enjoy it and even had some heart palpitations one day from it. It's all about the grade!

P.S. How I know there were no side effects: feeling great, body works fine, waking up as happy as always on the days I don't use it as well. When my supplier ran out now I'm without it for over a week and there are no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.