• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

1,4-Butanediol - Experienced - A doorway into THEIR WORLD (psychedelic)

yoyoman

Bluelighter
Wow I don't know quite how to type this up yet. But basically, I feel like i've discovered that there is some kind of world within myself, inside my head. Its made up of very intelligent, human like entities who know how to do some things way better than I can "out here" in the real world like create complex music, sing, and show me things in a computerized music video style about myself and "their world" in complex creative ways.

I get a peek into it if I take just about two, maybe three mL's of 1,4-butanediol and lay down for a nap, and just sort of meditate and relax until I get into a state that sort of resembles sleep paralysis, but is much much cooler. I'd guess GHB or GBL would be similar, but I have not tried either one while I have not been on a cocktail of other drugs, and i'm only able to get this thing to happen when pretty much sober otherwise. This isn't just a one or two time thing this happens almost everytime I take 1,4 and go to sleep.. so it seems pretty reliable that i'm able to go back to their "gateway to Me room".
Anyway, I just woke up from one of those nap's... and thought holy shit, i need to type ---something up, this is way interesting.

--------------------

I'm laying down, usually sort of tired and relaxed, and its similar to entering into sleep paralysis (which i get often enough), only I never get any of this crazy stuff in regular sleep paralysis. I enter a mostly dark... thing, i don't know what to call it cause most of what happens is in audio .. but not totally.
Its different every time, but these things or whatever is aware of my presence (is aware that i'm aware if them) and they start to give me a show of some kind. Sometimes moving from left to right (while making a sound) running around slamming doors shut. Talking about all sorts of random things, I can't remember most of the details though but one thing is clear: They have REALLY GOOD creative ability, WAAAY better than i've ever had myself. I'm actually jealous that there's a part of myself which clearly exists which is very creative but I don't seem to have direct, easy access to for some reason.... maybe thats something for me to figure out?

A couple things I remembered from this last nap:

There was this sound audio playing in the style of a TV commercial or documentary,where they seemed to be describing what used to happen to them when I was taking 60mg dexedrine a day years ago. Its hard to remember but they were describing it like it was bad weather that would hit them for months, then just suddenly stop, and I remember the specific phrase "when blood levels dropped" (the weather stopped). They then talked about how it hardly ever happens (the bad weather) anymore, or how they haven't seen the bad weather anymore (i'm no longer on dexedrine). I also remember them saying how it made them all amped up and energetic/partying for a long time then down too - but, they were explaining me this stuff in a VERY creative way, which I can't remember enough in detail unfortunately.. everything they said seemed as if it was put together by a group of very creative minds who worked hard (maybe its not hard for them who knows) for 6 months putting together a very good / funny / to the point in a joking type way youtube video showing me what my inner selves have to go through when I take amphetamines lol. It was explained in a way that didn't seem directed at me necessarily but, more like an educational video to educate some of the other "them"s on life in the them-world.

One of the last things they were playing me in sound form was a song, "You do it your way... we do it our way... we call it the yawway.. the yawway.. the yawway" (along with complex melodies.. that i'd have an extremely hard, if not totally impossible time creating in real life, even if i was an expert in all the latest music software).

-----

Gosh its bizarre. It might be the same entities seen/heard on DMT, or in dreaming. But they seem at least somewhat self aware and intelligent - and human like, and definitely creative. I've always seemed to think I lack creativity, but it seems as though its THERE... inside my head, if I could just learn to tap into it!

Sleep paralysis, by itself sober, seems to be a very interesting phenomenon. I've had full-on OEVs during sleep paralysis episodes, bizarre sensations, feelings of warmth and euphoria, and sensations of astral projection (as in, being flung out of your body, seeing yourself asleep on the bed, and then flying through the ceiling, through the roof, and out into the stars above).

Interesting stuff! I wish, at least with me, that it could be more reliably produced, but it happens rarely with me nowadays. Most people find the sensation uncomfortable, but I've found that if you remain calm, tell yourself that it's just sleep paralysis, and mentally "push" away the fear, you can do all sorts of weird stuff. It feels like accessing some "back door" program in your brain--some kind of self-hacking into your neurological systems without the use of psychoactive drugs to aid yourself.

Of course, you had help with 1,4-B--it's curious that it seems to cause you sleep paralysis. Is that a common side effect of GABA-like substances? I don't have much experience with GHB analogs.

Its different every time, but these things or whatever is aware of my presence (is aware that i'm aware if them) and they start to give me a show of some kind. Sometimes moving from left to right (while making a sound) running around slamming doors shut. Talking about all sorts of random things, I can't remember most of the details though but one thing is clear: They have REALLY GOOD creative ability, WAAAY better than i've ever had myself. I'm actually jealous that there's a part of myself which clearly exists which is very creative but I don't seem to have direct, easy access to for some reason.... maybe thats something for me to figure out?

I think I've encountered a similar "theory of ego" in my experiences combining tryptamines and dissociatives (specifically 4-ho-DMT and DXM, and DXM, ondansetron, and LSD).

The experience is of myself as a congregation of quasi-autonomous ego fragments. Each one is like a flame in a conflagration, or a brilliant bubble, in which is reflected a spectrum of experiential memory that contributes the content of its light to the infinitely expanding and ever ebullient foam that comprises my ongoing life. I experience automatic body movements where I feel all these fragments are having a kind of spiritual orgy within me. The feelings of sensual bliss are followed by sensations of giving birth, where I literally feel a wetness between my legs where amniotic fluid would be if I were a female giving birth. I then have an experience of rebirth from myself, as a new chimeric being composed of the contributions of every preceding fragment of myselves. This new fragment joins the burn of the collective procreation to contribute its own unique being to the ever expanding aggregate ego that is me, and whose ashes are my history.

During these experiences I have the understanding that this assemblage of egos is a microcosm of the larger state of reality outside myself, where fragments of god have been given free will in the innocent hope that they will choose a life that expands the knowledge and happiness of the god we return to in death. In choosing our lives we are born with the obligation to experience novel modes of understanding and happiness, because the way we choose to live and treat each other determines the being we return to in death, and in this being we naturally all have a self interested stake. It is only just tonight that I've been able to articulate that this is what is happening during these experiences, and so, unable to sleep with the intriguing weight of this realization, I've logged onto Bluelight to see this report recounting something very familiar to me, and that only now I fully recognize. I figured I'd post in case it gives you any insights into what you may be experiencing -- if it's the same thing, that is.

I think you could call this is a hypnagogic experience. I have experienced it a few times after taking drugs, it certainly is very interesting.

Codeine+promethazine syrup produced the most vivid hypnagogic state for me; fully interactive visual and audio stimulus of people and places. But, everything seemed washed out and distant, like translucent images over the black background of my eyelids, and the voices seemed muffled and distant. I was aware that what I was experiencing was hallucination, but it was like my actions in the dream would happen pretty automatically, like I was just an observer in this world. I think these hallucinations were caused by the promethazine, but the euphoria from the codeine made it a very comfortable and enjoyable state.

I also have had bouts of night terrors, a sleep disorder which is another border state between sleeping and waking consciousness. Only it's god awful and I hope I never have one again. I would describe it as having a horrible, panic inducing nightmare, but your body is able to react to it, and elements of it pass into waking consciousness. When it happened, I would awaken screaming, flailing and even running. It can be quite dangerous because of this. Besides the risk injury by running into something, one time i knocked my friend, and the mattress he was on, clear out of the top of a bunk bed. Luckily, he escaped with only minor bruising. I haven't had this in years, and I think it was brought on by stress. This all happened when I was a teenager, it is less common amongst adults.

thanks for sharing, the brain is an amazing and not too well understood thing.

when i nod on kratom i often get this sensation of thinking im awake and doing something,often in the situation im in the moment,for example i nod off on kratom and while nodding i " dream"that i take another spoon of kratom or idk go to pee and talk with my mom,just to wake up a few minutes later and then i have to try to remember if i really did this or was just nodding.
this sensation is similar to to the feeling when your alarm clock wakes you up in the morning and you feel like your dream is/was reality and you need a few seconds to realize that this shit cant be true because its just too absurd and you were just dreaming,except on kratom the storys while nodding make sense and are not absurd like dreams(like flying in dreams or something like that)

This info interests me somewhat, because I get similar effect on what you described from 1,4-butanediol (only, and more than one time, although not-always reproducible) but never get it from GHB(sodium salt) nor GBL.

This info interests me somewhat, because I get similar effect on what you described from 1,4-butanediol (only, and more than one time, although not-always reproducible) but never get it from GHB(sodium salt) nor GBL.

I think that is probably a coincidence since 1,4-BDO like GBL is rapidly metabolized to GHB in blood plasma and the liver... not 100% sure about 1,4-BDO but GBL doesn't even appear to be active itself apart from the pro-drug activity.

The mentioned parahypnotic effects from this thread typically occur when mental modes are inadvertently mixed. It seems that these GHB drugs cause powerful hypnosis but this tendency is rough around the edges?

About the refreshed and stimulating effects upon recovery or at lower doses have long been attributed to 'dopamine rebound', but even if downstream there is bound to be some dopamine involved - as it often is frankly :) - let's not forget the stimulatory activity of the GHB receptor, mostly relevant at lower doses while at higher doses GABAergic effects take over.

Last edited:
I think that is probably a coincidence since 1,4-BDO like GBL is rapidly metabolized to GHB in blood plasma and the liver...

Are you sure about that? 1,4-BDO needs to be oxidized twice in order to become GHB, while GBL only needs to be hydrolyzed by an esterase. Also, 1,4-BDO is a short-chain alcohol, albeit a diol, so isn't it likely that it would be active on its own too?

I have never done GBL or GHB, so I can't compare them to 1,4-BDO, but it seemed so dirty compared to other GABAergics like benzos. Unbearably dirty, even worse than ethanol. The only times I exceeded 4 ml in one dose I ended up passing out after hallucinating and feeling like I was dying. It also produces (at >2 ml doses) weird, unpleasant chilly feeling in my whole body. And yes, it's supposedly pure and clean.