• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸DANGEROUS Drug Combos⫷

CYP2D6
Cytochrome P450 2D6 is an enzyme that in humans is encoded by the CYP2D6 gene and a member of the cytochrome P450 mixed-function oxidase system.It's one of the most important enzymes involved in the metabolism of xenobiotics in the body. In particular, CYP2D6 is responsible for the metabolism and elimination of approximately 25% of clinically used drugs, in a process referred to as O-demethylation.

CYP2D6 shows the largest phenotypical variability among the CYPs, largely due to genetic polymorphism.
There are 4 types:

poor metabolizer – little or no CYP2D6 function (those people won't feel much from codeine, as codeine is a prodrug and needs to be metabolized into morphine)
intermediate metabolizers – metabolize drugs at a rate somewhere between the poor and extensive metabolizers
extensive metabolizer – normal CYP2D6 function
ultrarapid metabolizer – multiple copies of the CYP2D6 gene are expressed, and therefore greater-than-normal CYP2D6 function

Warnings:
poor metabolizer -> Don't take Dextromethorphan, as even normal therapeutical doses can make you trip for hours or even days, because you don't metabolize DXM well. This could potentially be lethal
ultrarapid metabolizer -> Don't take codeine, as you will metabolise codeine rapidly into morphine, thus increasing the risk of an overdose

Drugs that are metabilized by CYP2D6:

All tricyclic antidepressants, e.g.
imipramine, amitriptyline
Most SSRIs , e.g.
fluoxetine, paroxetine, fluvoxamine
venlafaxine
duloxetine
mianserin
mirtazapine
opioids
codeine
tramadol
O-desmethyltramadol
N-desmethyltramadol
oxycodone
hydrocodone
tapentadol
antipsychotics, e.g.
haloperidol
risperidone
perphenazine
thioridazine
zuclopenthixol
iloperidone
aripiprazole
chlorpromazine
levomepromazine
remoxipride
minaprine
tamoxifen
beta-blockers
metoprolol
timolol
alprenolol
carvedilol
bufuralol
nebivolol
propranolol
debrisoquine
Class I antiarrhythmics
flecainide
propafenone
encainide
mexiletine
lidocaine
sparteine
ondansetron
donepezil
phenformin
tropisetron
stimulants
amphetamine
methoxyamphetamine
dextromethamphetamine
atomoxetine
chlorphenamine
dexfenfluramine
dextromethorphan
metoclopramide
perhexiline
phenacetin
promethazine

Drugs that inhibit CYP2D6 (this will result in higher and longer blood concentration of the drugs mentioned above, this could lead to increased side effects and could even be lethal or to no effects at all):
White grapefruit juice
Strong
Certain SSRIs
fluoxetine
paroxetine
bupropion
quinidine
cinacalcet
ritonavir

Moderate
sertraline
duloxetine
terbinafine

Weak
amiodarone
buprenorphine
cimetidine
citalopram
escitalopram

Unspecified potency

antipsychotics
haloperidol
perphenazine
thioridazine
zuclopenthixol
risperidone
chlorpromazine
hyperforin (St. Johns Wort)
antihistamines
promethazine
chlorphenamine
diphenhydramine
hydroxyzine
tripelennamine
clemastine
celecoxib
clomipramine
cocaine
doxorubicin
metoclopramide
methadone
moclobemide
doxepin
halofantrine
levomepromazine
mibefradil
midodrine
ticlopidine
cannabidiol

Inducers of CYP2D6:
Strong

glutethimide

Unspecified potency

dexamethasone
rifampicin

From Wikipedia
Sorry to bump this oold Thread but i am a rapid metabolizer with methadone ,yet get NOTHING out of codein and barely to nil from DHC except unwanted sides like red face. My oral MSer dose is max to what they allow or it wouldnt hold me 24h. I take cimetidine cuz of exactly that. How can i then be a poor metabolizer AND a fast one at the same time if no cimetidine in play???? And fluoxetin would help more than cimetidine?? Worth a try? If anyone could clear that up i'd be very grateful!!!!

dam that sucks, I always get shaky after I drink n pills, but my nerves are sencitve,
how u feeling, are u back to base line,
that shit can get scary
Thanks for asking, yes, I’m totally fine.
What’s interesting is that I get all of those prescriptions from the same doctor, with the exception of Vyvanse and the alcohol. I think I learned my lesson.

Seizures and spams are common side effects of tramadol overdose. Some tramadol users think that redosing would enhance the euphoria and then they experience spasms that sound scary and can be avoided by anti-seizures (such as benzos)
Note that it's my own opinion. Plz do not combine trama with other drugs unless u have the idea of what u are doing. According to my personal exp. Benzos can overcome the spasms/seizures but could also put an end to euphoria caused by Trama.

Last edited:
This is purely anecdotal and also likely redundant since we know the dangers of SSRIs+(most) stimulants, but since many people ignore these dangers - myself included - and even do so without ill effect (serotonin syndrome) I feel it is relevant to mention. Perhaps it might help somebody.

A friend and I are prescribed 20mg of paroxetine which we take every day. We took over the course of 11-13 hours 450-550mg of methamphetamine - a drug we had never tried before - and shortly after the last dose - we finished our halves at approximately the same time - we began experiencing serotonin syndrome. This is not something that particularly surprises me - paroxetine is an SSRI and methamphetamine is a powerful serotonin-influencing stimulant. However, we both have taken many, many different stimulant drugs - including amphetamine - whilst on 20mg of paroxetine without ill effect. We've insufflated grams of cocaine, smoked crack (for the first time), taken huge doses of LSD - all without any problems related to serotonin syndrome. I am merely stating this for reference: do not do drugs and if you do don't do large amounts or take them with drugs that dangerously interact with them.

Therefore I think it is possible that methamphetamine - again, this is purely anecdotal, but it did happen to both of us in the same manner and it makes logical sense - is more likely to trigger serotonin syndrome than many if not all other drugs. I don't think it's an unlikely theory to be true that a drug as powerful as methamphetamine that strongly and directly interacts with serotonin receptors in the brain, which involves (likely) acute neurotoxicity of these receptors - something other drugs do not do - would be a particularly dangerous combination paired with SSRIs, which also directly interact with serotonin receptors. Certainly, my friend and I will not be doing this drug again, or at least not if we're still taking any SSRI drug.

I also think taking any different drugs (meth and paroxetine in this case) which both interact strongly with the same receptor in the brain (again, other drugs are not directly neurotoxic in the brain) in vastly different manners is a bad idea inherently, perhaps as harmful in the long-term as serotonin syndrome is in the short-term. Why take an SSRI which influences serotonin receptors in a positive way to make you feel better and also methamphetamine which increasing evidence suggests is ACUTELY toxic and damaging to these same receptors? You might as well not be taking the SSRI if you're going to do that.

TL;DR: Don't take SSRIs and stimulants, but perhaps think extra hard about taking SSRIs and meth; it's potentially extra dangerous in the short-term and in the long-term would make the reason you're taking SSRIs redundant.

Last edited:
Just 48 hours ago I took 20mg of Baclofen, with a 20mg Oxy, about 8 ounces of wine.
I had taken 20mg of Baclofen earlier in the day, as well as 2 Oxys, 20mg each, 600mg Gabapentin and I had a Vyvanse, as well. I passed out >12 hours and when I got up I was completely shaking, I experienced muscle spasms and I kept dropping things. I went back to bed and I felt better only after about 35 hours had elapsed since I’d taken anything. I hope never to repeat this undesirable experience again!
Edited to include Gabapentin, which I’d forgotten about until now.
Worst mistake I've made in a long time from what happened and the searching for interactions between opiates and this baclofen we stumbled upon 20mg tablets my company took 60mg and took only 150 mg of codeine, and I took 80mg baclofen with my 360mg of codeine had a litre of beer (3-4standard). Then decided that a Xanax would possibly be too much so didn't touch it, 30 to 40 minutes later I am falling over dropping drinks excessive sweating fucked up bad I vomited about 3 times wandered off in a daze got something to eat returned ate vomited I then tried to flip down with up and have a good point to get my shit together and I'm now 15 hours later headache feel like horrible as hell upset stomach and can say that was a bad mix I have been alright to look at this online and know I should have looked at this baclofen more as my gf( who took the lesser) and had same symptoms and dropped and had a siesure now feeling those after effects and both of us are not feeling too awesome at all, my tolerance with pharmaceuticals is higher with what I take, when stocked, Valium, lyrica, Seroquel and Xanax to top I am lucky to have not had those on top as I am sure that I just fucked up and this was pretty dangerous and never get into that again. And with the other ones I could well have taken a fatal mix.

kratom (8g) and half blunt of k2 (5f-mdmb-pinaca already mixed with tobacco) , nearly got me killed from respiratory depression, its like heroin overdose , i had to force my brain to not stop breathing , i didnt have any narcan at the time , so i puke the kratom out and drank a lot of water and put myself into a recovery position. after 3 hours or so of hell everything went down and i felt better , watchout guys.

It's about time for a megathread where we can discuss dangerous combos to prevent avoidable deaths, like the passing of the Bluelighter Oxydexmorphetamine, who most likely died due to the combination of DXM and Effexor(SSNRI) leading to Serotonin Syndrom. http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/790985-*WARNING-DEADLY-COMBO*Effexor-600mg-of-DXM-ambien-and-lyrica

Dangerous combos by Banquo from the Dangerous Combos FAQ with a few small changes

Thanks so much for your service to the HR community. The only thing puzzling me - and very sorry if it's already been discussed, as I just skipped straight to the bottom of the thread, is PCP. I would definitely consider it to be a dissociative and not a hallucinogen, though it definitely causes "true" hallucinations like all dissociatives; this means a user truly does NOT know whether or not what he or she is seeing is reality. Shrooms, LSD and typical serotonin-based hallucinogens technically produce pseudohallucinations in the user. They are aware of the anomaly in their perception and recognize it for what it is. High doses of dissociatives on the other hand can produce nightmarish constructs which are indistinguishable from reality to the user.

Is there any consensus regarding beta blockers and stimulants (especially cocaine)? I've understood that beta blockers and strong stimulants is a definite no no.

I hear you, but at the same time, methadone is probably one of the more dangerous opioids in that it's very easy to overdose due to strength, and it also has a super long half life. in an intolerant user, a dose of 50mg could be fatal, combine that with a xanax bar, and it's not looking too good for you. That being said, the whole time I was on MMT I was taking heaps of benzos, and most of the time was fine, but I did overdose a few times. And now that I think of it, all three of my overdosages included methadone.
Your overdose is more related to the benzos. Let's not try to demonize methadone. Obviously, if you take 50mg the first time every you may OD. That's like doing an oxy 80 the first time or a 3bags the first time of decent dope. You say you were fine most of the time, well yeah, I'd hope you didn't OD the majority of the time lol. Point is, it sounds like your giving the benzos a pass & blaming it on the methadone. The methadone was fine, it was the benzos that put it over the edge. No benzos should be taken with opiates even if you are fine most of the time.

CYP2D6
Cytochrome P450 2D6 is an enzyme that in humans is encoded by the CYP2D6 gene and a member of the cytochrome P450 mixed-function oxidase system.It's one of the most important enzymes involved in the metabolism of xenobiotics in the body. In particular, CYP2D6 is responsible for the metabolism and elimination of approximately 25% of clinically used drugs, in a process referred to as O-demethylation.

CYP2D6 shows the largest phenotypical variability among the CYPs, largely due to genetic polymorphism.
There are 4 types:

poor metabolizer – little or no CYP2D6 function (those people won't feel much from codeine, as codeine is a prodrug and needs to be metabolized into morphine)
intermediate metabolizers – metabolize drugs at a rate somewhere between the poor and extensive metabolizers
extensive metabolizer – normal CYP2D6 function
ultrarapid metabolizer – multiple copies of the CYP2D6 gene are expressed, and therefore greater-than-normal CYP2D6 function

Warnings:
poor metabolizer -> Don't take Dextromethorphan, as even normal therapeutical doses can make you trip for hours or even days, because you don't metabolize DXM well. This could potentially be lethal
ultrarapid metabolizer -> Don't take codeine, as you will metabolise codeine rapidly into morphine, thus increasing the risk of an overdose

Drugs that are metabilized by CYP2D6:

All tricyclic antidepressants, e.g.
imipramine, amitriptyline
Most SSRIs , e.g.
fluoxetine, paroxetine, fluvoxamine
venlafaxine
duloxetine
mianserin
mirtazapine
opioids
codeine
tramadol
O-desmethyltramadol
N-desmethyltramadol
oxycodone
hydrocodone
tapentadol
antipsychotics, e.g.
haloperidol
risperidone
perphenazine
thioridazine
zuclopenthixol
iloperidone
aripiprazole
chlorpromazine
levomepromazine
remoxipride
minaprine
tamoxifen
beta-blockers
metoprolol
timolol
alprenolol
carvedilol
bufuralol
nebivolol
propranolol
debrisoquine
Class I antiarrhythmics
flecainide
propafenone
encainide
mexiletine
lidocaine
sparteine
ondansetron
donepezil
phenformin
tropisetron
stimulants
amphetamine
methoxyamphetamine
dextromethamphetamine
atomoxetine
chlorphenamine
dexfenfluramine
dextromethorphan
metoclopramide
perhexiline
phenacetin
promethazine

Drugs that inhibit CYP2D6 (this will result in higher and longer blood concentration of the drugs mentioned above, this could lead to increased side effects and could even be lethal or to no effects at all):
White grapefruit juice
Strong
Certain SSRIs
fluoxetine
paroxetine
bupropion
quinidine
cinacalcet
ritonavir

Moderate
sertraline
duloxetine
terbinafine

Weak
amiodarone
buprenorphine
cimetidine
citalopram
escitalopram

Unspecified potency

antipsychotics
haloperidol
perphenazine
thioridazine
zuclopenthixol
risperidone
chlorpromazine
hyperforin (St. Johns Wort)
antihistamines
promethazine
chlorphenamine
diphenhydramine
hydroxyzine
tripelennamine
clemastine
celecoxib
clomipramine
cocaine
doxorubicin
metoclopramide
methadone
moclobemide
doxepin
halofantrine
levomepromazine
mibefradil
midodrine
ticlopidine
cannabidiol

Inducers of CYP2D6:
Strong

glutethimide

Unspecified potency

dexamethasone
rifampicin

From Wikipedia
What is Cyp2d6

Is there any consensus regarding beta blockers and stimulants (especially cocaine)? I've understood that beta blockers and strong stimulants is a definite no no.
I don’t know about consensus (or coke), but I know from experience and from some other online reports that both alpha and beta blockers as well as other drugs that reduce blood pressure can cause a hypotensive crisis if you are really peaking on amphetamines.

Other drugs in the mix like some antipsychotics (eg seroquel) magnify the risk significantly.

What is Cyp2d6
Thank you for the def
I don’t know about consensus (or coke), but I know from experience and from some other online reports that both alpha and beta blockers as well as other drugs that reduce blood pressure can cause a hypotensive crisis if you are really peaking on amphetamines.

Other drugs in the mix like some antipsychotics (eg seroquel) magnify the risk significantly.
I took an atenolol Seroquel alcohol and did meth before went to bed woke up 8 hours later and had a hypotensive episode. I almost went to the ER and eversince I'm having problems.

Does psilocybin have interaction between tizanidine(sirdalud) and is it safe together?
I tried to read about the whole damn internet without luck.

I got really bad insomnia and if i want to try shrooms i got to worry when did i eat the last time tizadinine or can i take it at the same night. I use it very often 6mg to fall asleep.

I also take once in a while seroquel 25-50mg but not so often and it doesnt matter anyway at low dose and is also suitable even to take at same night if needed after shrooms.

Also i dont know why would i do it but if necessary is it ok to take shrooms and later sirda+seroquel.

Thanks.

Back in the day's it was not a problem but now if i will take even tiny line of coke or speed after taking before tramadol(100-150mg) after sniff i feel anxious and i have to take at least 5mg diazepam under tounge cause i'm getting feeling that it won't end good. Is it only in my head or really so small doses in a mix can cause any issues? I'm 34 years old, atm im addicted only to weed, opio or stims only occassionaly but my experience specially with pharmacy drugs is huge during my life time :) That's why im surprised it goes almost always wrong. I know best solution is to avoid stimulants and that's what im planning to do, just want a opinion about it what's exactly going on. Thanks in advance!

Hello all, just registered today and slowly reading threads for answers to a few questions. I'll try to keep this brief.

EDIT: It's not. Sorry

I noticed it was posted that stimulants shouldn't be combined with propranolol. Short history is that for about 10 years I've been taking (prescribed) 180mg of propranolol and 2x30mg of Adderall daily. Of course, everyone's body chemistry is different but I've never had nor heard of an interaction problem. Also, before being diagnosed with ADD I was on a metric shit-ton of antidepressants and mood stabilizers for mis-diagnosed bi-polar. (They have many of the same symptoms.)

Anyway, the Adderall was a godsend as it finally, at age 35 opened a whole new world. It's the best thing to happen to me as far as work, money management, relationships, drinking, etc. This was after trying Strattera, Concerta, Vyvance and Wellbutrin. Plus I can actually think without having a thousand different thoughts vying for attention every second.

When I was completely dry there were times I'd take a 30 every 4-5 hours or so and stay up, coherent, productive and most importantly not BORED for 3 or 4 days. If it's relevant those were the XR. I'm on the generic now. IR I assume. The funny thing though, is I've always been able to take one in the morning and, given the chance, couple lay right back down an hour later and fall asleep easily.

Now I drink. Often. Daily. Up to a case of beer a day. Taking 2 or 3 Adds seems to make me even more sleepy after a few hours. About 3 weeks ago the woman I'm dating offered some of her coke. First time I've ever tried it and it made me feel very relaxed. Just wanted to sit on the couch and watch TV. Didn't feel any sort of euphoria it anything I've heard of it's use. Tried snorting an Add but still didn't really feel anything.

(I probably should've broken all this up into a few posts over different forums, but I'm on a roll now so WTH?)

So I guess the questions are:

Why not mix betas with stimulants?

I know stimulants help calm people with ADD. But seriously, Adderall mixed with cocaine and I don't get high? Alcohol I assume, but it's EXTREMELY rare I get drunk since it's kinda weak beer and over the course of a full day. So don't picture someone bleary-eyed passing out. Usually if you can't smell it on me you'd have no idea I was drinking.

Am I just destined to never feel a coke high since being a stimulant it'll just naturally be a calming agent? Secretly I hope so cuz the shit is expensive. But damnit, I want to feel it at least once in my life!

I noticed it was posted that stimulants shouldn't be combined with propranolol.:

Why not mix betas with stimulants?

I’ve done a bit more reading on this and it seems there has been a longstanding ER dogma about the risk of “unopposed alpha stimulation” from giving beta blockers in the case of stim toxicity. This is supposed to cause a spike in blood pressure and possibly tachycardia and other complications. It was thought more an issue for coke than meth, but plenty of doctors believe it for meth too.

However, it seems that unopposed alpha toxicity is only hypothetical. The science behind it makes sense but there is negligible evidence of it ever occurring with amphetamine. However beta blockers are sometimes contraindicated with cocaine users if they have already suffered heart damage.

As of 2020, the first line treatment of amphetamine toxicity remains benzos (usually valium). Second line is an antipsychotic (usually Haloperidol). The other option is nitroprusside for extreme tachycardia with hypertension.

If sedation does not reduce tachycardia with hypertension then the combine alpha-beta blocker labetalol is recommended. If there is tachycardia without hypertension then the straight beta blocker metoprolol is recommended.

Calcium channel blockers are not contraindicated for meth toxicity but are far less effective than beta blockers.

I'm new to this but was wondering how bad taking 1mg of Ativan in the morning then drinking a pint of vodka at night. Any advice

I'm new to this but was wondering how bad taking 1mg of Ativan in the morning then drinking a pint of vodka at night. Any advice
I've taken 3 or 4 with a beer after drinking all day and never felt it. Though I have a high tolerance to alcohol and, of course, everyone's body chemistry is different. I can't imagine that combo would be any worry. But again, I'd have absolutely no problem drinking a pint before going to work so YMMV.