• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

ΔFosB

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
ΔFosB overexpression in the dorsal striatum (nigrostriatal dopamine pathway) via viral vectors generates levodopa-induced dyskinesia in animal models of Parkinson's disease.[11][12] Dorsal striatal ΔFosB is overexpressed in rodents and primates with dyskinesias;[12] moreover, postmortem studies of individuals with Parkinson's disease that were treated with levodopa have also observed similar dorsal striatal ΔFosB overexpression.[12]
from wikipedia

So it would be possible to do the opposite, use viral vectors to abolish ΔFosB expression and prevent / protect against long-term dopamine changes? Always thought it wasn't (yet) possible to change genetics in a living being ... but then we have the possibility of "vaccinations" to e.g. downregulate SERT/DAT, or whatever receptors?

Some years ago I've read a book about "biohacking" (in German), they didn't go into detail unfortunately and the processes were pretty basic but still things like glowing plants - might it even be possible now, or in near future, for skilled hobbyists to create such a vector for e.g. reducing DeltaFosB?

What functions does it have besides causing nasty long term stuff / is it actually good for something (knowing that most stuff in biology isn't as simple as good or bad)?

What functions does it have
The Wikipedia article says it is involved in (non-pathological) reward processing, stress tolerance, and bone cell differentiation.

Transcription factors are generally pretty pleiotropic, with different effects around the body. The thought of globally "antagonizing" a transcription factor is absurd to me (absurd as in it really makes me feel like people who say this have a fundamentally different understanding of cell biology than I do).

Delta fosb is most commonly seen as both a marker and driver of addiction, but I would be wary of generalizing too much. Addiction is a topic that gets a lot of funding, so the large percentage of delta fosb papers regarding some aspect of addiction could very well be a result of funding.