• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What are the chances of serious withdrawal?

BigH

Greenlighter
Hi All,

I have been using diazepam 5mg for about a month and a half (not prescribed) twice I have taken 20mg , I haven't used it every day sometimes 1 day on 6 off sometimes 2-3 days on 4-5 days off, in which time I drank quite heavily (the days off), but the last two weeks of the month and a half the previous week I had 4 days on and 3 days off and the last week, Friday week ago I had six days on, I had been using alcohol quite heavily every night for about 5 months before this. I went to my G.P last Wednesday and explained everything I have just said as I wanted to stop both the diazepam and the alcohol (I was a bit shaky) and he said he was going to treat it as an alcohol withdrawal and gave me a 5 day taper of librium. My question is do you think I have taken the diazepam long enough and in high enough doses with the days off and the librium detox to get serious withdrawals from the diazepam? I havent taken any for 11 days and completed the librium taper on Sunday. Any help and information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not super experienced with valium or benzos in general so hopefully someone elese with more experience will jump in. I would think with valium even though it has a long half life you would be feeling WD starting by now if you were going to experience any. I took lorazepam for 8 days as prescribed and had mild withdrawal symptoms after stopping. My wife on the other hand has taken 10mg valium nightly for years and sometimes will go 6 days after running out because she simply forgot to request a refill and she has no issues at all. I guess everyone is different but me personally wouldn't be worried about withdrawal. Maybe some rebound anxiety and a restless nite or 2 but that's it

I personally think you may be out of the woods. When I was forced off my Klonopin, it took 6 full days before withdrawal started. But Valium has an ungodly half life - give it a few more days. Don’t take anything.

When you make it out of this, please don’t use benzos anymore man. It’s just not a good thing to be dependent on. Lemme know if you need any help.

Thank you for your kind answers and replies they are much appreciated. Would the librium taper have helped with the diazepam withdrawals or may it prolong them? I know they have a long half life also and am worried the diazepam withdrawals will kick in once the librium is out of my system. As I say the G.P is treating it as alcohol withdrawal. Thanks for any help and information.

I'm not super experienced with valium or benzos in general so hopefully someone elese with more experience will jump in. I would think with valium even though it has a long half life you would be feeling WD starting by now if you were going to experience any. I took lorazepam for 8 days as prescribed and had mild withdrawal symptoms after stopping. My wife on the other hand has taken 10mg valium nightly for years and sometimes will go 6 days after running out because she simply forgot to request a refill and she has no issues at all. I guess everyone is different but me personally wouldn't be worried about withdrawal. Maybe some rebound anxiety and a restless nite or 2 but that's it

You mean insomnia? If you experienced real benzo WD's that can only happen if in you're past you've had long benzo addiction and got severe WD's. But for people who haven't got any serious benzo wd's before that can't happen, unless you are the one rare people.

You mean insomnia? If you experienced real benzo WD's that can only happen if in you're past you've had long benzo addiction and got severe WD's. But for people who haven't got any serious benzo wd's before that can't happen, unless you are the one rare people.
I'm not really sure what to call it, it was very weird experience. My fore arm muscles were very tight as well as some other muscles in my body. As well as insomnia and some anxiety. I'm not saying it was full blown withdrawal but it definitely effected my body by taking for 8 days then stopping suddenly. It wasnt a horrible experience or anything but there definitely was some uncomfortable weird muscle stiffness with insomnia and anxiety for a few days

You will feel the alcohol withdrawal. The Librium will cover up whatever benzo withdrawal there is. And it?s far more likely to be rebound rather than actual benzo withdrawal.

I would be far more scared of the alvohol withdrawal Han the benzo withdrawal.

Thanks again for the kind replies and advice guys, it's been 14 days now and I get a some anxiety, would full blown diazepam withdrawals have kicked in by now or as HoldBack says would this be due to the Alcohol withdrawals. Thanks again for any help and information.