European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

actually quitting smoking instead of planning to then fucking it off

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
any tips for how to make the plunge and actually quit smoking. or just anecdotes on your own failure to make me feel less pathetic.

i planned to when i got back from holiday, i have got down to 2 like half sized rollies a day. i promised myself i wouldn?t buy any more baccy. its now running out and my brain is like ?you can just get one more pouch.? so basically i?m as hopelessly addicted to tobacco as to any other drug.

i?ve read alan carrs book years ago. it irritated me so much i?m not sure i want to read it again. i don't wanna move onto vapes cos apparently 60% of users go back to cigs. i tried patches when i was locked in a psych ward and they're useless, i need that sweet sweet death in my throat.

i want to quit cos 6 months after my last pipe i?m still coughing up black and grey shit. walking on holiday i was out of breath when no one else was. i get that, especially with gear (respiratory depression) on top, it would take a long time to get all the shit out but i?m worried. but then part of me is like ?quitting now is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.? like seriously, after 5 years of smoking heroin and being able to smoke more than an 8th of crack a day, what difference can quitting smoking, especially now i'm smoking so little, make?!?

i coincidentally ended up talking about this to someone who turned out to be a quit smoking counsellor earlier, i didn?t have time to ask her how you do it, but she did say that the longer i left it the worse it?ll be and didn?t really acknowledge the very significant cutting down. but she would say that!!

its fucking hilarious that i?ve spent 6 months on a more than full time addiction recovery program and when it comes to cigs i feel like i?ve got nothing.

Personally vaping works for me. It did take a while of using the vape, but caving and having the odd cigarette. For me, it was quite a gradual transition, but now I absolutely detest the smell and taste of baccy smoke, and can really smell it on smokers now.
The thing is, I'm completely dependent on my vape.
If you find the right vape kit/liquid for you, which will probably take a little while, I think you'll enjoy it much more than smoking. They make literally and flavour vape liquid you could possibly think of, which makes it probably more addictive than tobacco, but I do feel healthier, I think. No more morning oysters at least!

If you don't fancy that, a friend of mine has quit for over a year and a half, and says he is absolutely certain he will never smoke again. He got hypnotherapy. I think it was 2 sessions of an hour and a half each, for about 300-400 quid. May be worth a go.
I did also quit for a while using patches and those mini nicotine mints, but relapsed after about 3 months cause I couldn't face drinking alcohol without nicotine. Are you teetotal after rehab?
Good luck, you have done well to.cut down, and you must surely be doing less harm than you were doing previously.

Vaping isn't a solution, these days with coils at 0.1ohm you are gonna vape your head off & end up with a worse addiction & I've even gone as far as to vape pure nicotine before.

I wish you luck kicking nicotine, it is harder to stop than heroin.

Maybe try cigars, I have managed to cut down a bit by taking them up myself.
Last time I got paid & the vape shop only had those dumb Smok coils that flash red with lights (what trend / hipster shit) I got some cigars instead & that worked quite nice in my view.

Personally vaping works for me. It did take a while of using the vape, but caving and having the odd cigarette. For me, it was quite a gradual transition, but now I absolutely detest the smell and taste of baccy smoke, and can really smell it on smokers now.
The thing is, I'm completely dependent on my vape.
If you find the right vape kit/liquid for you, which will probably take a little while, I think you'll enjoy it much more than smoking. They make literally and flavour vape liquid you could possibly think of, which makes it probably more addictive than tobacco, but I do feel healthier, I think. No more morning oysters at least!

If you don't fancy that, a friend of mine has quit for over a year and a half, and says he is absolutely certain he will never smoke again. He got hypnotherapy. I think it was 2 sessions of an hour and a half each, for about 300-400 quid. May be worth a go.
I did also quit for a while using patches and those mini nicotine mints, but relapsed after about 3 months cause I couldn't face drinking alcohol without nicotine. Are you teetotal after rehab?
Good luck, you have done well to.cut down, and you must surely be doing less harm than you were doing previously.

When i was in hospital over the summer, i had about half a 50g pouch of baccy with me when i went in but of course wasn't anticipating spending 5 days in resus and then 4 weeks in n intensive care, I obviously wasnt allowed out for a fag even if I'd wanted one....The weird thing wad though 7, was that with everything else going on i didnt even crave any baccy al. . I went 4 weeks+ with, none, not even a patch. However, the momdnt i got put onto a normal ward and was able to walk again with either a zimmer frame or crutches and and was allowed to go outside to the smoking area

This isn't the most tooth friendly solution but I found when quiting rollies Lollipops did the trick for me, it worked for Kojak %)

This sounds stupid I know but stay away from nicotine gums, you wont kick an addiction by using a different ROA, any nicotine 'replacement' is a gimmick imo, you want all the nicotine out of your system asap.

There the two main things I found helped me, I have no doubt you'll can kick this, you've already done what a lot of people swear is impossible, your one tough chick at the end of the day chin up, blaze your own nicotine free trail

Last edited:
Why was my post deleted? Was it because I said people who vape big clouds are douche bags? Proving my point my deleting the comment..

Why was my post deleted? Was it because I said people who vape big clouds are douche bags? Proving my point my deleting the comment..

Ita getting mental mate... You're not allowed to express an opinion on anything anymire without it being deleted..

Yeah, its one thing to deliberately and blatantly break the BLUE like if I called you a terrible name, doxxed you and threaterned physical violence against you, but saying.... ""people who vape big clouds are douche bags" is hardly the worst crime ever... Especially considering the shit a certain member who hasn't posited in a while used to say...

I mean do they want traffic or not?

Here's an idea.... Just ban every member and let the half dozem or so mods we have (which seem to outweigh posterd by about 2:1) their own little forum where everyone has to agree, none can say anything controversial or argue with anyone else and it can be like a like utopia....

I'm sure that's what the admins actually want rather than an active vibrant forum full of pisd take and humour..

Some rocket scientists are still scratching their h heads at why we get max 5-10 posts per day...

You want to know what ruined BL?

Terribke moderation and ludicrous over censorship....

Inb4 this post is gone before ive even attempted to iron out the typos lol

any tips for how to make the plunge and actually quit smoking. or just anecdotes on your own failure to make me feel less pathetic.

i planned to when i got back from holiday, i have got down to 2 like half sized rollies a day. i promised myself i wouldn?t buy any more baccy. its now running out and my brain is like ?you can just get one more pouch.? so basically i?m as hopelessly addicted to tobacco as to any other drug.

i?ve read alan carrs book years ago. it irritated me so much i?m not sure i want to read it again. i don't wanna move onto vapes cos apparently 60% of users go back to cigs. i tried patches when i was locked in a psych ward and they're useless, i need that sweet sweet death in my throat.

i want to quit cos 6 months after my last pipe i?m still coughing up black and grey shit. walking on holiday i was out of breath when no one else was. i get that, especially with gear (respiratory depression) on top, it would take a long time to get all the shit out but i?m worried. but then part of me is like ?quitting now is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.? like seriously, after 5 years of smoking heroin and being able to smoke more than an 8th of crack a day, what difference can quitting smoking, especially now i'm smoking so little, make?!?

i coincidentally ended up talking about this to someone who turned out to be a quit smoking counsellor earlier, i didn?t have time to ask her how you do it, but she did say that the longer i left it the worse it?ll be and didn?t really acknowledge the very significant cutting down. but she would say that!!

its fucking hilarious that i?ve spent 6 months on a more than full time addiction recovery program and when it comes to cigs i feel like i?ve got nothing.

Like with any addiction pretty much, you have to be nearing the end of your tether with it to have a chance of quitting.

If you just want to break the smoking habit and avoid combustion and all it entails then vaping is the way forward, although from my observations it's a poor way of quitting the actual nicotine.

You already know patches (and by association, gum too) don't work for you. Also cutting down (which the addict in you/me/us clutches on to as a sign of progress) is pretty much useless (except for the fact we are inhaling less shite) as it just seems to give greater significance (and 'reward') to the consumption of the less-in-number but more highly anticipated fags.

I gave up on my third attempt aged 38 after barely having a rollie outta my hand for 23 years. I too read the Allan Carr book and, although it's an almost intolerable read mainly due to it's repetitiveness, that very same repetition is extremely helpful in it's (sub) conscious suggestiveness, especially the notion of not 'giving up' anything as opposed to the very real and quickly discernable benefits you gain.

I was undoubtedly ready to quit, was fucking sick of it, the worst drug I've ever used (and that's saying something...) I found cold turkey to be the only way, but my oh my is that particular addiction a bitch to kick. I kept a half-full pack of baccy in a drawer for two years after quitting. That helped me immensely as I 'knew' it was there which stopped a lot of the panic I'd have felt due to its 'absence'.

All the best with it - due to your recent great work you now 'know' you can successfully quit serious addictions - you can do the same with this one for sure mate

I quit cold turkey from a pack or two per day.

I used water as my stop smoking aid. Each time I got a craving, I had a sip of water instead.

Obviously, I had to carry a water bottle with me at all times.

Then, 3.5 years later I started smoking again. Woo!

If it is that difficult for you, get a vape. Ignore the stats, vaping is better for your lung health.

thanks guys. i think i am gonna try and CT it when i run out of baccy- substitutions (lollys/water suggested above) in the first instance might be useful.

what ageingpartyfiend said about building up the couple you have in the day when you cut down is certainly true, and if i keep this up much longer, then i'll have overall had more cravings cutting down than i would have just stopping in the first place.

i am gonna use a vape as backup, but i really hope it doesn't come to that.

quitting smoking really isn't more difficult than quitting heroin. for example, cigs haven't stopped me from really feeling my mates dying, so when i quit cigs, i won't find myself doing grieving i should have done years ago, and have to know there's this brown powder that will take it all away.

i agree that for any addiction, you need to hit rock bottom, which is difficult for cigs. the rock bottom is usually when you get a terminal smoking related illness. my rock bottom for hard drugs lasted most of last year. i just hope that smoking preventing my lungs from healing from the awful damage will be enough.

i read this today: Black phlegm: People commonly abuse crack cocaine by smoking it. When someone chronically smokes crack, it can weaken their immune system and lessen their body’s ability to resist lung infections. Smoking crack can result in bleeding within the lungs which causes some people to cough up black phlegm (dried blood) or blood. Coughing blood is a sign that the body is quickly deteriorating as a result of crack cocaine abuse and should be addressed immediately. I got bronchitis in high summer while I was using so my lungs certainly couldn't resist infections. I just don't understand how my lungs could still be bleeding 6 months later like seriously. I remember reading stuff like this when I was using and not being phased cos I didn't think I'd be alive long enough to get those problems.

---------------

can anyone interpret this for me? I can understand 'However, lung clearance improved in only one of the four crack plus tobacco users studied' and 'Crack-related lung injury... may be at least partially reversible after a 3 month period of abstinence from crack.' But if anyone can interpret what metrics are they using and how comprehensive they are that'd be really helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have had 0 cigarettes today. and i hope by writing it on here, i'll have 0 by the time i go to bed. being full of shit bothers me enough these days that writing that here might work.

proper cried at my therapist about what i've done to my body but she, plus reading about all the damage i've likely done earlier, has convinced me that i've got a sort of sweet spot now where i've built up to it and i should just take the plunge.

Chinup, you don't need to be a therapist to know that the less shit that goes in..

But keep it up. A lot on here wanted to see you fail, a few still do. Keep bending their nose out of shape. Onwards and upwards.

Chinup, you don't need to be a therapist to know that the less shit that goes in..

But keep it up. A lot on here wanted to see you fail, a few still do. Keep bending their nose out of shape. Onwards and upwards.

nah i don't but she can say words that might have a better chance of making me stop. still need to decide not to have one tomorrow- i used my mates vape today so i cheated a bit.

i will keep proving people wrong if that's really what they want. i can't really see why you'd ever want anyone not to get out of the hole i was in unless you're in one yourself so i feel a bit sorry for whoever feels that way.

i feel at this point that smoking at all is a bit like using an opiate half way through the rattle. though it provides relief at the time its just lengthening your pain. unfortunately for me i never managed a full CT, despite intellectual understanding of that.

I don't believe for one moment that anyone here wanted you to fail Chinup. I myself tend to play devils advocate in an attempt to make people think "well I'll show you, you fuckin fucker..."

Nowt wrong with a bit of constructive negativity... ;)

Was a 40-a-day smoker for quite a few years, haven't had a smoke in 3 years (I've been told after 7 years relapse rates significantly delcline with many addictions) and I'm not planning on smoking tobacco ever again- so fingers crossed.

My first week to first month of not smoking was quite emotional; I had many ups and downs (much more than I usually do anyway). To be honest it was one of the best things I've ever done for myself, and the sense of anxiety, dread and impending doom do pass away. Next is stopping drinking. Don't be too hard on yourself if you smoke again Chinup, it took me a few tries to successfully quit this shite.

I don't believe for one moment that anyone here wanted you to fail Chinup. I myself tend to play devils advocate in an attempt to make people think "well I'll show you, you fuckin fucker..."

Nowt wrong with a bit of constructive negativity... ;)

i totally agree with this! i'm usually like 'its on!' when people say something is hard, well unless its getting over addiction in which case i need to be pushed. i didn't think you'd wanted me to fail btw, i knew you were encouraging me in your own special way.

1394 that is a very timely response, thank you. i've had one cig today, and really need to face up to doing 0 soon, but i've been sitting here crying. for some reason my brain has gone to the dark places that are what i used heroin to avoid. i don't really get this, how the fuck can lack of nicotine be bringing that up. i'm glad that feeling sorry for myself about stuff that happened years ago is probably not that abnormal.

at least i don't have to stop drinking after, cos i haven't drunk since i left rehab and don't intend to.

The last time I quit I used as per usual nicotine replacement therapy to get you over the edge.
Only for two weeks and that worked. I spent some time with smokers so started having a cheeky fag every now and then.
That leads to smoking to full time so I cut that one in the bud and after 7 days of NRT I hadn't smoked for 6 months.
Add a stressful situation and I'm back on them.

I'm one of those I can quit no problem but within a year max I'm back on them.