• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Mirtazapine and Sertraline - the neurological implications on personality

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
First off I'm gonna say - bear with me here.

Second - please don't move this to mental health; Long since has been the disparity between psychiatry and psychology, brain chemistry and behavior.

Since I started posting here about, pfff - more than 3 years ago, I've been around the mulburry bush with all different drugs.

Started off - Mirtazapine with lexapro,
then with effexor,
then with buproprion,
then with desipramine.

Then I subbed out mirtazapine for its cousing - Mianserin,
Then changed the combination agent to reboxetine,
Then atomoxetine.

Then due to residual social dysfunction - started subbing in a third drug in addition to the dual combo,
first being effexor, then lexapro,

And then - Sertraline.

I had also tried Duloxetine, desvenlafaxine, fluoxetine and vortioxetine.

Someone posted here at the time mentioning Sertraline - as to it being the most studied SSRI, one of the most commonly prescribed, and was a derivative of tametraline - which was an anti-depressant never marketed, due to stimulating properties.

There was something just - right, about serrtaline for me; corrective.

Fast forward another 8 months and I've dropped the Mianserin, gotten back on Mirtazapine - with a sertraline being the dual drug - and it's by far the most effective combo - in terms of energy, functionality, cognizance, mood, sociability.

Point being;

Psychiatry - I mean - how could they overlook this?

I've spent three long hard years looking for the right combo - 3 years, 90% of the time flattened out on my ass on the couch or in bed - trying off licence, unlicenced drugs - round and around.
When the answer was staring me in the face from the beginning - should have been staring psychiatry in the face.

Sertaline - one of the most prescribed AD's ever - how could they overlook this???

What's most important and pivital here is - the effects on my personality - which I believe is the overarching affect of psychoactives - regardless of classification - but this is so poorly explored.

They treat drug prescription like a crapshoot - when the reality is, the whole system seems so out of touch, they're either neglecting, or just not grasping the most fundamental concepts of drug action.

TLDR: I've lost 3 to 4 years of my life due to incompetent/not-fit-for-purpose psychiatric practice - and I'm terribly aggrieved.

Last edited:
Prozac would probably be the most studied, as it came out earlier, and is usually the first line of defense against depression.

DRI's aren't effective antidepressant medications. The increased energy and concentration don't disappear in daily use, which is why dopaminergics are given for narcolepsy and ADHD. The last stimulant ostensibly marketed for depression was discontinued in 1982--dexamyl, a combination of dextroamphetamine and a barbiturate (amyl something).

But zoloft has an active metabolite that acts as an SNDRI.

Overlook what? Everyone is different. Psychiatry is a statistical method largely, and far from a true natural science. hence, for example, there are many SSRIs.

There are those who wouldn't find any therapeutic effect from what you're taking.

Prozac would probably be the most studied, as it came out earlier, and is usually the first line of defense against depression.

DRI's aren't effective antidepressant medications. The increased energy and concentration don't disappear in daily use, which is why dopaminergics are given for narcolepsy and ADHD. The last stimulant ostensibly marketed for depression was discontinued in 1982--dexamyl, a combination of dextroamphetamine and a barbiturate (amyl something).

But zoloft has an active metabolite that acts as an SNDRI.

Overlook what? Everyone is different. Psychiatry is a statistical method largely, and far from a true natural science. hence, for example, there are many SSRIs.

There are those who wouldn't find any therapeutic effect from what you're taking.

Overlook prescribing one of the most successful drugs ever - instead choosing to move to a different class of drug entirely.

The only difference between Lexapro, Effexor, and sertraline - being the most modest implication dopamine, and noradrenaline - how could they yield such entirely different responses?

As in - day and night difference.

The answer, to me - is the molecules inherent effect on personality - which goes beyond a binding profile exclusively.

Psychiatry doesn't touch on this.

Overlook prescribing one of the most successful drugs ever - instead choosing to move to a different class of drug entirely.

Antidepressants are all about as effective, though some are more so for certain types of depression and certain types of anxiety.

The only difference between Lexapro, Effexor, and sertraline - being the most modest implication dopamine, and noradrenaline

That's untrue. Effexor is an SNRI at 300+, and its metabolite is an SNRI. Sertraline has a metabolite that's an SNDRI. Lexapro is an SSRI without these traits.

The answer, to me - is the molecules inherent effect on personality - which goes beyond a binding profile exclusively.

Psychiatry doesn't touch on this.

Ya lost me on that one.

First off I'm gonna say - bear with me here.

Second - please don't move this to mental health; Long since has been the disparity between psychiatry and psychology, brain chemistry and behavior.

Since I started posting here about, pfff - more than 3 years ago, I've been around the mulburry bush with all different drugs.

Started off - Mirtazapine with lexapro,
then with effexor,
then with buproprion,
then with desipramine.

Then I subbed out mirtazapine for its cousing - Mianserin,
Then changed the combination agent to reboxetine,
Then atomoxetine.

Then due to residual social dysfunction - started subbing in a third drug in addition to the dual combo,
first being effexor, then lexapro,

And then - Sertraline.

I had also tried Duloxetine, desvenlafaxine, fluoxetine and vortioxetine.

Someone posted here at the time mentioning Sertraline - as to it being the most studied SSRI, one of the most commonly prescribed, and was a derivative of tametraline - which was an anti-depressant never marketed, due to stimulating properties.

Fast forward another 8 months and I've dropped the Mianserin, gotten back on Mirtazapine - with a sertraline being the dual drug - and it's by far the most effective combo - in terms of energy, functionality, cognizance, mood, sociability.

Point being;

I've spent three long hard years looking for the right combo - 3 years, 90% of the time flattened out on my ass on the couch or in bed - trying off licence, unlicenced drugs - round and around.
When the answer was staring me in the face from the beginning - should have been staring psychiatry in the face.

Sertaline - one of the most prescribed AD's ever - how could they overlook this???

What's most important and pivital here is - the effects on my personality - which I believe is the overarching affect of psychoactives - regardless of classification - but this is so poorly explored.

They treat drug prescription like a crapshoot - when the reality is, the whole system seems so out of touch, they're either neglecting, or just not grasping the most fundamental concepts of drug action.

TLDR: I've lost 3 to 4 years of my life due to incompetent/not-fit-for-purpose psychiatric practice - and I'm terribly aggrieved.

Psychiatrists are about as far from psychopharmacologists as it is possible to get and it is highly debatable whether psychiatry or psychology is a scientific discipline at all. Psychiatry is some sort of a bastard combination of a librarian cataloging every book (illness) into neat but meaningless categories, neither reading or understanding them, and a some kind of degenerate theologian looking for meaning in the scriptures of the elders.

You are lucky that random blundering found a drug that worked, or maybe actually didn't work but temporally coincided with you improving, that is better than most get so count yourself lucky.

Point being;

How could they overlook *what*?
Sertraline is one of the world's most prescribed antidepressants. That, by definition, means it isn't being overlooked.
Are you asking why they didn't magically hit the right combo immediately? Because, if you consider the sheer number of antidepressants, there is a staggering number of potential combinations... and each variable you can change (even something as simple as different dosages of the same drug) makes the number of variations increase exponentially.

What's most important and pivital here is - the effects on my personality - which I believe is the overarching affect of psychoactives - regardless of classification - but this is so poorly explored.[/B]

This sentence is extremely confusing.
The effects of a drug on your personality are the result of its action on your various receptors/transporters/enzymes/ion channels etc., plus placebo, as well as extraneous factors.
You can't just measure "personality" with an aura crystal or something. To some extent, you're always going to have to rely on trial and error and imperfect human observations.