Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Senator Gillibrand Faces Opioid Bill Backlash From Disability Community

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Kirsten Gillibrand Faces Opioid Bill Backlash From Disability Community
Sarah Ruiz-Grossman
HuffPost
March 20th, 2019

Following backlash from patients with chronic pain and people in the disability community, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) on Wednesday found herself backpedaling on her recently introduced legislation to put a time limit on opioid prescriptions.

The 2020 presidential contender sought to help "end the opioid epidemic" with legislation she introduced with Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) to limit opioid prescriptions for acute pain to seven days.

But many in the disabled community, as well as chronic pain patients, said they feel such legislation could make it harder for people with chronic pain to get the treatment they need.

While the legislation's text hasn't been submitted to Congress' website yet, Gillibrand's news release specified that the prescription limit was not meant for patients with chronic pain but for those with acute pain, "such as a wisdom tooth removal or a broken bone."

But disability rights advocates -- many who responded to Gillibrand on Twitter -- noted that the line between acute and chronic pain was not always simple to determine and that acute and chronic pain often overlapped.

Read the full story here.

Kirsten Gillibrand Says Her Limit on Opioid Prescriptions 'Is Not Intended to Interfere With These Decisions'
Jacob Sullum
Reason
March 22nd, 2019

In response to a backlash against her bill imposing a nationwide seven-day limit on initial prescriptions of opioids for acute pain, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) suggests she is open to changes that would address the concerns raised by critics. Gillibrand's acknowledgment of the criticism is encouraging, but her response seems confused, wrongheaded, and disingenuous.

"I want to get this right," the presidential contender writes on Medium, "and I believe that we can have legislation to help combat the opioid epidemic and the over-prescription of these powerful drugs without affecting treatment for those who need this medication. I fundamentally believe that all health care should be between doctors and patients, and this bill is not intended to interfere with these decisions but to ensure doctors prescribe opioids with a higher level of scrutiny, given their highly addictive and dangerous effects."

If "legislation to help combat the opioid epidemic" includes an arbitrary limit on the length of these prescriptions, there is no way that it won't affect "treatment for those who need this medication." It is impossible to reconcile such a one-size-fits-all rule, which doctors would have to follow if they want to legally prescribe controlled substances, with Gillibrand's avowed commitment to not "interfere" in the doctor-patient relationship. Her bill, which is co-sponsored by Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), is designed to interfere in that relationship and to override physicians' medical judgment. If it did not do that, there would be no point to it.

To be fair to Gillibrand, she did not invent the seven-day rule, which at least a dozen states have imposed in the last few years, according to a tally by National Conference of State Legislatures. Several others have imposed shorter limits. Legislators in Arizona, New Jersey, and North Carolina have decreed that five days is plenty; Minnesota settled on four; and Florida and Kentucky say three, which is the national rule that Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) proposed last year, prompting criticism from the American Medical Association. Medicare began enforcing a seven-day limit at the beginning of this year.

These legislators and bureaucrats all seem to be taking their cue from the opioid prescribing guidelines that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published in March 2016. "When opioids are used for acute pain," the CDC says, "clinicians should prescribe the lowest effective dose of immediate-release opioids and should prescribe no greater quantity than needed for the expected duration of pain severe enough to require opioids. Three days or less will often be sufficient; more than seven days will rarely be needed." Legislation like Gillibrand's takes this advice and makes it mandatory, while ignoring the qualifications. Saying that three days is "often sufficient" obviously does not mean it is always sufficient, and even if more than seven days is "rarely" needed, it sometimes is.

Read the full story here.

It's good to see the CP community fighting this shit and getting heard.

Hopefully they will be more worth saving to the politicians than people slamming fentanyl from china....which limiting prescriptions wont even address anyways

I hope all the people responsible for pain patients and the like not getting their medication get their bones broke and are denied any sort of medication.

I personally think the opiate thing is going to be old news very soon. All these "epidemics" have a media based shelf life. It will be some other drug on the nightly news soon enough. I predict meth and Adderall. A good economy usually leads to an uptick in stim abuse. The media will break out the same playbook and link over prescribing adhd meds to kids with meth abuse in adulthood.

I hope all the people responsible for pain patients and the like not getting their medication get their bones broke and are denied any sort of medication.

I've been saying its a matter of time until some pain patient does something very violent to bring attention to this issue before they take thier own life that isn't worth living with all that pain.

I mean right now meth is huge here. It’s also the biggest drug of abuse in rural America.

It’s kind of weird it hasn’t caught on like wildfire in every major city.