• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GHB vs etizolam

markosheehan

Bluelighter
hello

I have severe insomnia.
I was just wondering which would be more effective at knocking me out and giving me deep sleep GHB or etizolam ?

Imo etizolam would be better due to the higher therapeutic index, but both options are only for short term treatment due to tolerance and addiction. And ime with GHB you may wake up after only a few hours due to dopamine rebound
I guess you already tried other things like propper sleep hygiene, i.e. no blue light (no pun intended :p) 2 hours before sleep, maybe some yoga, meditation, phytotherapy i.e. valerian root, chamomille tea, hot milk with honey, passion flower, or maybe a first generation antihistamine like hydroxyzine or diphenhydramine?

ye i use hydroxyzine regularly but for the nights where i am really bad i need something to knock me out.

is etizolam or ghb better at inducing a deep sleep?

Are you talking about a once in a few days option or daily? Not clear on that one.

On paper the GHB, outdated info by now who knows. Seemed better at enforcing natural sleep cycles. If you allready hadn't found this you like these papers different GABA drugs and sleep. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3041980/ 8 years old so kinda new study.

Never got into this but GHB seemed to increase the latter stages 3 and 4. But they make a clear distiction between REM and non-REM sleep(NREM). Don't know If these relate to the slow wave sleep ( deep sleep) and not so deep sleep? I guess so but def not my field I sleep like a brick litterally if I am out. But I will do some research tomorrow markosheehan, to fullfil my curiousity.

But on personal level the benzodiazepine seemed for my personal use way more functional despite being the lesser option on paper.

The two shortcomings of GHB. The short duration, although the dopamin rebound theory is not gold standard any more. Sure feel like a burst of agonizing energy 3.5/4 hours after. At least when one is dosing daily. But the GHB receptor is an candidate for the rebound effect I read.
And the euphoric, hedonistic tendencies of G vs the more calm sedating nature of benzo's.

Benzo's in general don't knock me out. More like they put me to sleep. A good dose of GHB knocks me out. There are knockout benzo's out there but no exp with them myself.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply.

I am more wondering which would be better for once off use when my insomnia is worse than usual and I need to get a night sleep.

from reading experience reports benzos dont seem to induce unconsciousness cleanly and it just seems to wipe there memory.

like if you take a high dose of GHB is it going to knock you out 100%?

Once off use then GHB certainly looks best. But the non- benzo hypnotics seem ok, but are more gently in nature.

But GHB can be used as knock out at therapeutic dosages. 100% sure. And if you get to know your body chemistry and optimal dose it very consistent in it's effect. Most benzo's don't share neither ot that capacity's they knock you out only when overdone. With a resulting hangover. And tolerance to them grows quickly.

The rebound awakening of GHB seems like it is the most irritating side effect. like being awakened by a fire alarm. Besides getting addicted. Narcoleptics take two high doses a day at night. So if the rebound effect is a concern when dosing once in a while. You should be able to find some documentation on it. Maybe that second dose is not even needed in your case.

Last edited:
I was just worried that GHB might not knock me out as some people report strong stimulation and seizures

GHB will cause you to wake up. I go through stages of using GBL regularly (same thing as GHB) and if I use it in the evening, I'll pretty much ALWAYS wake up after 3-4 hours and find it very hard to get back to sleep. If you are able to control yourself and only use the etizolam for rare occasions where sleep isnt gonna happen, I'd have to vote for that. Benzos and G are both really addictive though so I would seriously explore other avenues before you try either.

Also: etizolam isn't the most hypnotic benzo out there. It'll definitely help you sleep for sure, but maybe something like temazepam or flunitrazepam. Zopiclone or zolpidem are also good sleep aids, but again are addictive and lose effects if over used.
Do you get exercise and have you looked into sleep hygiene?

Damn, if its very hard to get back to sleep it doesnt seem like a good option.

once you take it does it always consistently knock you out for 3-4 hours?

If you established your personal dose for me it worked like that, but if you have no experience with it it's hard to explain. I have seen people take it for the first time and claiming to not notice anything. Asking me to up the dose right away.

This is the early days of bluelight to put it in context. And I unknowing of the info now available got them a redose. Totalling the person on a knock out dose. I figured they needed a higher dose for having more bodymass or natural tolerance. Soon after to feel responseable for them getting spinny and nausseious (sorry speling disaster at work).

As they were in panic on a overdose of GHB. The anxiety would keep them not only awake but also conciouss to experience the side effects I mentioned coupled with twists or jerks of arms and limbs. Nodding out while resisting. Some of these effects one gets in milder form when very tired and resisting to sleep. Even the kicks during initial sleep when worn down resemble one of the side effects of GHB. Wonder if they are the same?

A seasoned user would think, time to take a nap, as concluded they had taken enough and are G-ing out. But all in all despite better sleep architecture it seems like a lesser choice. A knock out drug seems like a last resort btw. Probably the reason it's only used for Narcolepsy. Not for sleep disorders or alcohol withdrawal to my knowing at least not as first option.

GHB will cause you to wake up. I go through stages of using GBL regularly (same thing as GHB) and if I use it in the evening, I'll pretty much ALWAYS wake up after 3-4 hours and find it very hard to get back to sleep.
Curious about this as I recall in the days I received my first GHB, powdered form that was coming from South-Africa. This never got me in any 24/7 shift's taking G every 3/ 4 hours. Just a once in a while kinda thing

A dose taken after diner could be enjoyed and I would sleep fine that night despite having used GHB just 3/ 4 hours prior. But I am more like a sleep like a brick person seldom experiencing insomnia.