Like Michael Jackson and R Kelly's songs but not them?

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Hmm. :\

Personally, I listen to music by some people I consider utter scumbags. Burzum for example; a convicted murderer and ultra-rightwing racist, but his music never deals with this stuff (directly) so I can listen to it/buy it/wear merch without feeling like I'm supporting Nazism. Or am I?

Like Michael Jackson and R Kelly's songs but not them? Ethical approaches for how to deal with it

10921406-16x9-xlarge.jpg

Right now many of us are wrestling with an uncomfortable, yet essential question about Michael Jackson: given everything we know, can we continue listening to his music?

The gut-wrenching documentary Leaving Neverland aired earlier this year, containing graphic descriptions of Jackson's alleged grooming and sexual abuse of children, and since then it's been a hot-button topic of discussion.

But this moral quandary goes far beyond Jackson or even the #MeToo movement.

We've grappled with shocking allegations levelled at creators from all spheres, from Woody Allen and Harvey Weinstein to Louis CK and even Picasso.

And just last month, R Kelly was charged with sexually abusing minors. The case spawned #MuteRKelly, an online movement calling for the singer's music to be banned from clubs, radio stations and concert bookings, hence, hitting his financial and social standing.

But it's one thing to delete Ignition from our playlists, it's another to erase Jackson's entire catalogue.

So, how should we deal with the morally tainted artist? Do we stop listening and pretend they never existed? Do we ignore allegations and keep pumping morally dubious songs at house parties? Or is there some kind of middle ground?

-read on

I don't like the music of either MJ or R Kelly, but unless its about kiddy-fiddling and/or . . . urination, I don't think I'd have a problem paying for the stuff. Then again, its money that has given these people the power to do what they do/did for so long. . .:|

I'm starting to feel a whole lot better about listening to nazi music.

Just for you for Nutty:

[video]http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1128877/Clockwork-Orange-A-Movie-Clip-It-Was-Ludwig-Van.html[/video]

Elvis was as bad as R Kelly and got away with it for the most part. I'm not particular fond of either, but I'm sure there are many more. However, I prefer to separate the art from the artist when at all possible.

Although I wouldn't consider this anywhere near as bad as pedos or nazis, my boy Mozart was a dirty little shit (lol) that wasn't afraid to hide it.

This Canon translates to "Lick me in the ass"

Yeah, W01fg4ng, but Elvis was King.

You can be sure of this because he died on the throne, LOL ;)

Patrice O'Neal (RIP) had a joke something along the lines of Michael Jackson being 'so good' that we ignored/let-it-slide w/ the pedo isht... don't remember the exact act but thought it was funny/introspective...

it's cool to listen to whatever you want, or object/not-support if that suits you...

I still listen to both. Michael Jackson is easy to listen to because I personally don't think he is guilty of the things they accused him of.

but r kelly on the other hand definitely is not as easy to listen to although I still listen to his songs every once in a while cuz me being a musician I appreciate his talent and enjoy his songs and I dont feel the need to stop listening as of right now... Although it makes me sad when listening 😞 suckz