• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Severity of Wds after taking low amounts of Xanax?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
Can Xanax withdrawals be life threatening even if a person (like me) who has been taking a low amount being 0.5mg per day?
In any case, I will try to TAPER OFF each week, because I do really want to stay off from this crap.

If you taper, you can expect some minimal withdrawal depending on the rapidity of the taper for the most part. If you can, it's advised that you switch to a long acting benzo like valium to keep your taper at a slow but constant rate rather than the fits and starts of short acting benzo like xanax.

Are you doing this with a doctor?

You will experience withdrawal from .5 mg for a year.

If you have been addicted before in the past, the withdrawal will likely be moderate.

If this is your first time addicted and you truely have kept your doses at .5 mg or less, you will not have life threatening withdrawal (unless predisposed yo seizures) but you will feel it for sure.

You will likely feel anxious, have insomnia (probably more along the lines of tossing and turning than completely unable to sleep), mild-moderate twitching, and mild depersonalization.

This is a guess, too many factors to know for sure until you try.

Gabapentin/lyrica (900 mg gabapentin 3x day would be very helpful in my experience) May be more helpful than a taper in your case.

Yes, my Dr took me off from the Xanax instance release and gave me the longer lasting 0.5mg Xanax XR instead as it had a delayed release dosage throughout the day.

I took them frequently but not everyday and was able to stop with no withdrawal or side effects. SWIM, literally haha, my friend was taking 2mg a day and when he stopped I think it was the first or second day he stopped he had a seizure. It was a normal seizure, nothing more nothing less and that was the only one. It really depends how much your do and how often, so .5mg a day you might experience something similar to my friend, one seizure, or worse.

Taper is the way it is imo with GABA, A or B. It will lessen discomfort gratefully. Or prevent seizure's.

Had a script for this shit for a dosage about that of yours. When taken sporadically like 3/ 4 times a week. At 0.5 mg's max a day, give or take a few.
When one is also taking other GABA-ergics the other days. No withdrawal but that's personal exp. Intuivively I always or tapered or switched to a lesser addicting GABA drug, a benzodiazepine like Alprazolam. There are better alround or taper wise benzo's but Xanax will suffice.

But taper. When in doubt. Seek medical help.