• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is this withdrawal? Can you experience withdrawal just by switching benzos?

Basscat89

Greenlighter
I have gotten about 50/50 yes and no on the answer to this question (from pharmacists, nurses, and benzo users online) and I'm curious what you guys think/know about the subject.

Basically, I want to know if benzodiazepine withdrawal can happen just by switching from one benzo to another without doing any sort of tapering. I've been told they're the same class of drugs so it would be fine to just start taking a different one.

I was on Xanax, .25mg as needed, for about a year. Most days I'd only need one, usually at night. If I had a particularly stressful day, was traveling, or had a severe panic attack, I might take .5mg or even .75mg in a day, but not often. Once my tolerance increased and I discussed this with my doctor, she didn't want to increase my dosage and instead put me on .5mg of Klonopin as needed. This was done at the beginning of this year. I gave it two months of taking .5mg pretty much daily, sometimes .75mg if I was having an especially hard day. However, I didn't feel that the Klonopin was working well enough to treat my anxiety/panic attacks that came on quickly, since I wouldn't feel it for 2-3 hours after taking it. I also felt like a zombie since it lasted in my system for so long.

I went back to the doctor and told her I didn't feel the Klonopin was a right fit for me, and she switched me back to the .25mg of Xanax as needed. I picked up my Xanax prescription at the end of February, on the 26th. I was a little cautious about having both in my system (I'm pretty sensitive to benzos and they normally make me extremely tired) so if I remember correctly, I took a final .5mg klonopin on Feb 26th, then I had a few left so I split them into .25mg and took these on the 27th, 28th, and March 1st. On March 2nd, I started the .25mg Xanax. Those few days were the only "tapering" I did because I was told it wasn't necessary.

The next week or so, I noticed heightened anxiety but it typically wasn't anything the xanax couldn't handle. I did feel more on edge and my hands were clammy/sweaty a lot, which isn't normal for me.

10 days into the switch, on March 12th, I woke up at 6am to pee and proceeded to have the worst panic attack I've probably ever had. Pouring sweat, legs uncontrollably trembling, heightened pulse, severe anxiety, worried I was going to die. Took two .25mg Xanax and eventually was able to fall back asleep for a few hours. Thought it was just a one off thing because anxiety is weird and hits me at random, but the minute I woke back up, I was thrown into a second panic attack. These continued all day on the 12th, and I have been having multiple ones each day since, with constant severe anxiety in between. I feel very short of breath and like I need to yawn to get a deep breath but my mouth just hangs open and nothing happens. My hands and feet are sweaty and clammy. I've gotten hot very randomly just to be cold 30 minutes later. Constantly ridiculously anxious, my pulse will go from 65 or 70 to 90 or higher just moving positions in bed(this is especially bad in the mornings). The past few days, I've started to get headaches and my muscles seem to get sore more easily if I'm in a certain position in bed, propped up on my elbow, etc. I've been subconsciously clenching my jaw.

Basically, since the 12th, I have not been able to function. I can barely shower and even though I still have an appetite, eating just doesn't seem appealing and I can only eat a small bit before feeling gross. I feel like a shell of myself, not anything like I was feeling before then, and the only thing at the time I can think that might explain it is the switch from Klonopin back to Xanax.

Is this possible? Are my symptoms similar to withdrawal? Does the timeline match up? I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow but since she's the one that originally told me I wouldn't have any problems straight switching, I'm not sure how far I'll get. :/

It doesn't make sense to me to go from klonopin to xanax. Xanax has a short half life so I'm guessing what you're experiencing is the xanax "wearing out" and getting rebound anxiety/panic attacks. You'd probably be better off on something longer acting. Also, .25mgs is an extremely low dose. It didn't even do anything for me when I was first prescribed.

Last edited:
Your symptoms certainly sound like withdrawal imo. It's difficult to switch to a short acting benzo from a long acting one, your brain is used to having a benzo coursing through it constantly. Xanax will be helping you briefly but the shorter half life compared to clonazepam means it will wear off sooner. The two drugs work in the same way but for significantly different durations, typically one would switch from xanax to klonopin and not the other way around.

Take a note of how you feel before you take your xanax and then an hour later- do you feel better? Note how your symptoms progress over the next few hours, whether they increase or not. If xanax relieves your panic at all, it's pretty likely to be withdrawal induced.

A problem with benzos is the fact they lose efficacy pretty rapidly and you can start to experience a return of your preexisting anxiety conditions even when maintaining or even increasing your dose. Benzo use can unfortunately intensify thiz sort of anxiety too. They are not a long term solution to these conditions.

Anyway mate, let us know how you get on. Try and write a few notes detailing what is happening. If it is withdrawal, the good news is that it will fade in time. :)

Thanks! I've been keeping a log of when I feel symptoms, etc, for the past few days now. It's long but pretty detailed, especially with my heart rate, so maybe it can give some insight to whoever needs to look at it.

To me, I do feel like my symptoms ease a bit after using the xanax. I try to wait and take one closer to bed so I can sleep, and every morning I wake up with a normal heart rate that immediately goes from, for example from this morning, 72 to 108. I don't even remember moving around this morning before it had the chance to jump up.

I have a doctor appointment today. Do I ask her to go back to the Klonopin even though it wasn't as effective at treating my anxiety? Will I experience more symptoms then going from xanax back to Klonopin? Will the withdrawal symptoms go away if I restart the Klonopin?

I basically need to not feel like this. I cannot deal with this day in and day out feeling. I am useless and have been for a week now.

I think another important thing to add is that certain benzos affect people differently. Like for me, I get zero relief from lorazepam and can take high doses and hardly notice. But diazepam or Xanax are huge anxiety relievers for me. Some might work better on your genetic make up than others

I have a doctor appointment today. Do I ask her to go back to the Klonopin even though it wasn't as effective at treating my anxiety?

From what I know .5 mgs of klonopin should be a lot more effective than .25 of xanax. You might not "feel" it as much, but it's not going to create the spikes and dips in your system like xanax which is probably what's causing you to feel withdrawal symptoms. I think xanax would be ok for the odd panic attack here and there, but if you take something daily for anxiety klonopin would be better IME.

Back from the doctor. She didn't say it couldn't be withdrawal, but didn't confirm for sure it was, either. She put me back on Klonopin (.5mg) for the evenings and told me I could continue my xanax as needed during the day. Then, after about a week, half the Klonopin, see how I feel, go from there, and try an actual taper.

Is there anything I need to know or do so I don't feel worse or something? If I'm not always taking my xanax, am I at risk from withdrawing from that now?

She said if this was the cause of all my symptoms, I'd likely feel even a bit better by tomorrow - is this true, will I know that fast?

You will find out pretty fast, your anxiety should start to abate when you reinstate the klonopin.

I think you should either use xanax as prescribed and stick to a daily dose OR use it only every few days when you panic or get extremely anxious. Taking different amounts of it daily just fucks with your brain too much, you never really get to a baseline state. My advice would be to stabilise on klonopin and use xanax very sparingly if you can.

I get pretty strong anxiety in the morning, I find that slowing the breathe and having some fruit or juice helps me a bit. You get a cortisol spike when you wake up, and you have low blood sugar. Apple juice helps me :\

Honestly I didn?t read the post or reply?s but yes, I?m sure you can withdraw by switching benzos.

This would be most likely to occur when switching from short acting (Xanax) to medium or long acting (kpin or diazepam).

However, the withdrawal can be overcome by simply taking more of the new benzo as blood levels stabilize. It is NOT like bupe causing precipitated w/d. It is due to unstable blood levels of new benzo

Klonopin is very strong and long lasting.
It has been my experience that YES, you can and I do go into horrific withdrawal if I even miss a day of the 1 mg klonopin and replace it with 1 mg lorazepam.

It makes it less severe but I still had withdrawal that was horrific and when the hospice people suggested just ripping my dad off the klonopin and replacing it with lorazepam, I still gave him the klonopin because I knew what he would go through and there was no way he needed to endure that on top of multiple system atrophy.

They tried to tell me it would replace it and was the same and I told them, No it is not and I am giving him the klonopin.

I had to watch everything the doctors did to him. They gave him serotonin syndrome in the hospital by giving a combination of medications that should never be given! I told them to tell me everything they gave him and they didn't.
I learned of it after I got him home and he was way worse and I was really pissed off when I looked at the medications they sent him home with and had given him the entire time he was in the hospital despite me asking them directly everyday what medications they had given my dad while I was away. They all out lied to me and told me just some tylenol!

You must do your own research and watch out for you and your loved ones.

Back from the doctor. She didn't say it couldn't be withdrawal, but didn't confirm for sure it was, either. She put me back on Klonopin (.5mg) for the evenings and told me I could continue my xanax as needed during the day. Then, after about a week, half the Klonopin, see how I feel, go from there, and try an actual taper.

Is there anything I need to know or do so I don't feel worse or something? If I'm not always taking my xanax, am I at risk from withdrawing from that now?

She said if this was the cause of all my symptoms, I'd likely feel even a bit better by tomorrow - is this true, will I know that fast?

Yeah, the klonopin should clear it up within a few hours. You should be feeling a lot better.
I sure as heck would not take the Xanax everyday while tapering off the klonopin.
I would use the Xanax very sparingly and try to only use it for panic attack.
If you use it everyday then you are going to end up in the same benzo withdrawal boat.

It is going to suck tapering off the klonopin. Do it very slow.
Be very careful. Benzo withdrawal can kill. It is extremely dangerous.

It takes a LONG time too. I don't know if you are going to want to go through that.
You might want to consider just sticking with the klonopin.

Klonopin is like a long acting Xanax.

I hope it is not that bad for you and I wish you luck.
I would think this through because benzo withdrawal is the absolute worst.

Let us know how you are feeling today. Good luck brother.

Thank you. I took the Klonopin at 11pm last night. Took a few hours but I finally got sleepy. I was reading on my phone and every time I'd drift off to sleep, some muscle would jerk and jolt me back awake. That kept up for about 45 mins or so before I finally fell asleep.

Woke up this morning and my pulse immediately went up to 105. It calmed back down but I'm still experiencing anxiety and a few muscle twitches here and there. Considering taking a Xanax (even a .25mg at this point) to help before my next dose of Klonopin, but of course I'm anxious about that.

I am trying to decide which benzo I want to stick with, at least a little longer than the other. Ultimately I'd like to get off them all, but I know I'm going to need one while I taper off the other. There's just a lot of info out there and it gets pretty confusing.

Scared to continue feeling this way, but also scared to switch off the Xanax and just use Klonopin. Then I get scared about thinking of tapering off just Klonopin. ��

If you eventually want to get off all benzo's, have you considered trying Kava tea? (For like a supplement, for when you really need it?) Stuff works great for me and my anxiety. I can't take benzo's (regularly) because I have epilepsy, and don't want to have a seizure when I come off them... But I found Kava to be really helpful. Taste's like shit, but it does the job.

I've heard a ton about it, but since I'm on Prozac, I try to stay away from things that might potentially interact. Looks like it could just make me a little more drowsy and won't cause serotonin syndrome or anything like that, so I may look into it more. Thanks!

I think you should either use xanax as prescribed and stick to a daily dose OR use it only every few days when you panic or get extremely anxious. Taking different amounts of it daily just fucks with your brain too much, you never really get to a baseline state. My advice would be to stabilise on klonopin and use xanax very sparingly if you can.

I agree with this. If it were me I would just take the .5 mgs klonopin.

I've heard a ton about it, but since I'm on Prozac, I try to stay away from things that might potentially interact. Looks like it could just make me a little more drowsy and won't cause serotonin syndrome or anything like that, so I may look into it more. Thanks!

Best in mind that you'd be throwing another Gabaergic in the mix if you take kava. I wouldn't advise it tbh, it's mild and relatively forgiving but when you're in the position of trying to stabilise drugs hitting your gaba receptors, I would probably avoid it. Same with alcohol.

I'm glad you seem a bit better :)

Switched from 2mg Xanax to 1mg Klonopin 20 years ago. Been on the same dose that long as well. Panic attacks are very rare, although i get severe anxiety sometimes.

If if I were you, I’d take the Klonopin over Xanax, don’t increase it. It’ll take a minute, but will eventually work.

It doesn't make sense to me to go from klonopin to xanax. Xanax has a short half life so I'm guessing what you're experiencing is the xanax "wearing out" and getting rebound anxiety/panic attacks. You'd probably be better off on something longer acting. Also, .25mgs is an extremely low dose. It didn't even do anything for me when I was first prescribed.
This.

Also may be some slightly different pharmacology going on where the tolerance is not 100% replaceable. Certainly a significantly different 'feel' between xanax and k-pins along with the longer effect of klonopin