• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Promethazine for sleep?

Teds121

Greenlighter
Hello. I have been having some sleep issues and usually I take Ambien but needless to say I like those too much and ran out early.

But I have promethazine 50mg suppositories for emergency migraines (1of3 prescriptions used when migraines occur) and I was wondering if those are worthy for sleep?

My recent Insomnia has been from surgery but that's been a week since. Still sleeping is rough if I roll on that arm surgery was done to.

When I get my migraines, 3-4 a year, I didn't know what was making me tired from the meds. First I thought it was the sumatriptan injection until I looked more into promethazine and apparently it has been used as a sedative. Apparently my neurologist failed to tell me that part.

Anyways if you have had good luck with it for sleep, lemme know. Not asking my doc cause don't want to risk losing my delicious Ambien refills.

Yes, promethazine is a sedative antihistamine. Don't expect them to be fun if you take more tho.theyre only good for sleep and adding sedation to opiates.

Yes, promethazine is a sedative antihistamine. Don't expect them to be fun if you take more tho.theyre only good for sleep and adding sedation to opiates.

Yeah, this is on point. This is really a take as needed drug. It used to be used as a first gen anti psychotic. Those effects poke their head out if enough is in your system. It should be noted, this is a CNS depressant, so don't mix a bunch of shit with it. It may be weak(er), but it surprises on occasion. Use this only when you have no choice.

Natural substances with a better safety record like valerian, chamomile, sleepy time tea, etc are much better alternatives in my opinion.

This stuff won't straight up kill you but it has roots as a anti psychotic. Tread lightly.

Yep just need it for sleep. Have nothing else without provoking my docs suspicion on my Ambien or to just change it to something less entertaining (if I make it sound like Ambien is not working enough). Basically just need something in between. Things like tylonel pm, or benedryl for that matter, cause multitude of side effects. All of which include the same effect one gets if they take tylonel pm during opiate withdrawal... Become a waking nightmare of muscle spasms and shakes, however for me this happens no matter what. No idea why. In fact I'm terrified of diphenhydramine for this matter.

Didn't know this stuff messed with opiates... Could have been interesting with post surgery meds but those are off now... Damn these super paranoid doctors in the US these days and limiting pain meds to 3-4 days supply. I guess that's the thing now... At least according to the latest Intel from my medical side of the family. Docs are urged to prescribe for only 3 days of pain meds unless really needed. Some from the same hospital do not care if even needed for more than 3 days. They won't put their license on the line unless patient returns on day 4...to me sounds more like $$$ scam for hospital and clinics.

Anyways, thx all.

I use the Diphenhydramine off and on. I use 100mg but combined with 3mg Melatonine. Sometimes it does the trick.
The thing is that it does sedate .. but.. this does not mean it wil get you to sleep. a dose of 100mg Diphenhydramine sedates for aprox 3 hours. If it does not get me to sleep by that time i often reached for something stronger. Since a few weeks i am on Mirtazapine.. also has this anti histamine type of sedation. I am prescribed 7.5 mg, it is not a silver bullet but it is much better then the 1st gen anti histamine.

Promethazine is amazing i love it it doesnt give horrible side effects like diphenhydramine either (I wouldn't give diphenhydramine or wish its effects on my worst enemy horrible drug)

Yep just need it for sleep. Have nothing else without provoking my docs suspicion on my Ambien or to just change it to something less entertaining (if I make it sound like Ambien is not working enough). Basically just need something in between. Things like tylonel pm, or benedryl for that matter, cause multitude of side effects. All of which include the same effect one gets if they take tylonel pm during opiate withdrawal... Become a waking nightmare of muscle spasms and shakes, however for me this happens no matter what. No idea why. In fact I'm terrified of diphenhydramine for this matter.

Didn't know this stuff messed with opiates... Could have been interesting with post surgery meds but those are off now... Damn these super paranoid doctors in the US these days and limiting pain meds to 3-4 days supply. I guess that's the thing now... At least according to the latest Intel from my medical side of the family. Docs are urged to prescribe for only 3 days of pain meds unless really needed. Some from the same hospital do not care if even needed for more than 3 days. They won't put their license on the line unless patient returns on day 4...to me sounds more like $$$ scam for hospital and clinics.

Anyways, thx all.
I take opiates regularly for chronic migraine and I too, cannot take Benedryl. I also have severe insomnia, and unfortunately my oral promethazine does not help my sleep. I get the drowsy feeling but it’s a restless feeling. Whenever I have had promethazine IV in the hospital I tend to sleep afterwards. But that may be because the migraine cocktail includes Ativan. Hope you have better luck! Curious to see how many mg you take and if it works