Musician Thread

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Who here plays an instrument? What kind of music do you play? How long you been playing, etc., etc.

I play guitar, drums and keyboard and have also done vocals but that was a long time ago. I listen to a lot of different music but black metal is primarily what I play.

Yeah, I played guitar and keys when I was younger. I still play daily, but haven't been in a band for at least 10 years now.

What kind of music do you play? I'm not in a band either. It's hard to find people into black metal at least here.

I play guitar and sing. Used to be in a couple bands in high school and college that were very shitty haha. Mainly play classic rock and 90's alternative shit cuz that's what I'm into. "Classic Rock" is such a huge fucking genre I hate to even use that word but I'm talking about Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix that kinda stuff. Also love playing some sublime, soundgarden, Pearl Jam, that kinda stuff.

Played guitar for a while when I was a kid. Picked up drums, bass, piano(synths) and try to sing. I do production on/off when I feel creative. I went thru a stint of DJing as a hobby.

Have a listen (rock/pop):
https://soundcloud.com/disasters

I play most genres, Nutty. Don't play much metal though, Black or otherwise. I did back in the day when my son was just learning but now I tend to drift more towards a pysch/old goth/shoegaze with elements of country, blues and jazz for flavor. There's just so many other things that keep me busy. Not enough hours in the day.

Lol... I have actually. Still got the demo tape I made. Unfortunately there's a few limiting factors right now.

I played violin for 40+ years. Retired from playing it professionally (we are talking $150 per service....more or less gas money)—symphony, opera pit, production work like weddings and whatever else I got called for. Now I’m playing mandolin purely for fun (no,performance anxiety and it’s a blast).

I started mandolin to do completely different genre and play by ear and stuff. But ultimately I went back to what I know. We read classical. I have a good ear. If I can hum it or sing it I can play the tune.

I gig with various members of a 10 person group,where we fright read (sight read) music.

I took a lot of piano lessons when I was a little kid. I think it definitely helped establish a good base, although I think I would've been musical no matter what.

Is there much difference in between learning on an electric guitar VS an acoustic?

Also what would be the best & most cheap way if you had an electric guitar to get that "Southern Sludge" tone (think Dopethrone, Eyehategod, Weedeater, Buzzoven, Meth Drinker) I know it must be going through some kinda machine.

/\ Frets are further apart I guess. I don't have much experience with acoustic. All the notes are the same tho. As far as your second question I don't know, my style is mostly black metal.

Do any of you guys wake up with a melody in your head and transpose it? Nothing better than being able to be able to actualize a riff from nothing but the recesses of your mind.

Last edited:
PM me some of the stuff you make, I am very interested in hearing some.
What kinda BM you do?..........the two bands if I had to pin it down that really does it for me is Burzum & the DSBM act Through the Pain by far. To my ears there has hardly ever been anything in BM that is better than Burzum - Belus & the Hvis Lyset Tar Oss album (Inn i slottet fra drømmen OMFG :love:)