• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health A Dependent In Living in your home.

NewFaceSameTripper

Bluelighter
Just want another subculture opinion. Do you think it's okay to allow your child with a known mental illness to cultivate drugs in your home?

That's a strange question. Does this have to do with the thread in phychedlic drugs?

This question is impossibly vague. Drugs aren't all the same, mental illnesses aren't all the same, not all children are the same, not all homes are the same.

I also feel like this thread must have something to do with the thread in psychedelic drugs. If you have an opinion about a specific situation then please, state your argument rather than trying to reduce a complex situation to a black/white yes/no straw man.

Grey area material.

Official answer: No.

"Drugs" means what? There are variables to consider.

Let's say it's hypothetically marijuana. Do they have a medical card? Is it legal? More so, has their provider recommended it, or otherwise approved it? How much does it cost? Do they have a mental illness? If so, then THC is all but sure not to be healthy for them.

I'm guessing it is pot, due to your profile picture and "cultivate".

I will say that high-CBD flower that has less than .3% of THC has a much, much wider medical market than straight up weed with its ~5%-~25% THC content.

So it's about two things:
1. Legality
2. Safety in use

If they're an adolescent, then please do not by any means allow them to consume THC. It really does do some long-lasting damage to teenage brains. I know this may seem odd, given that it's a plant, it can't kill ya, and that it doesn't cause violence, and so on.

In the last two decades or so, THC levels have skyrocketed, while other cannabinoids have gone down in concentration. So it's extra unhealthy...

If they're 21, but I like to say 25, and have been totally mentally stable for years, they have the best chance of it not damaging them.

In all honesty, you could lose your house if the law finds out.

If your child still lives in your home then they aren't mature enough to be taking recreational drugs, imo. They should move out and then make the choice to put their own living situation in jeopardy, not yours.

If they have a condition that they're self-medicating for, they should get mental health treatment.

You could lose your house and be put in jail. If it's a kid doing this, you could be charged for endangering a child, whatever illegal crap that kid is doing, and get barred (legally) from being with your kid.

In all honesty, you could lose your house if the law finds out.

If your child still lives in your home then they aren't mature enough to be taking recreational drugs, imo. They should move out and then make the choice to put their own living situation in jeopardy, not yours.

If they have a condition that they're self-medicating for, they should get mental health treatment.

You could lose your house and be put in jail. If it's a kid doing this, you could be charged for endangering a child, whatever illegal crap that kid is doing, and get barred (legally) from being with your kid.

Thank you! Glad to hear a mature opinion on this situation.

Yes this thread is further insight to the psychedelic sub forum thread about kid who has no regard for their own living quarters. The parent admitted (I think) that the parent had reason to believe that their child has a mental illness. Yet, they want confirmation to allow their child to continue cultivating psychedelic mushrooms in their house. They even said whatever deal they make with the kid they will be getting their cut of the harvest.

In the psycheldic I believe most users in that thread are sticking up for drug use and not really caring about the child or giving good advice to help them. There are users there that are thinking of the kid not the drugs. There are quite a few that did it better than me in conveing that to the parent, I admit.

I also feel like this thread must have something to do with the thread in psychedelic drugs. If you have an opinion about a specific situation then please, state your argument rather than trying to reduce a complex situation to a black/white yes/no straw man.

Wow..

I created this thread in the mental illness section of this forum. Was I disrespectful with my thread starting post? No. I proposed a question with unbiased facts to receive opinions from users that frequent or are very interested in mental illness topics.

How am I reducing a complex situation into a black/white decision on your opinion?

If you wanna PM me and get your frustrations out feel free, I got nothing but love for you man.

I think it's just a misunderstanding. We just can help you more with more details.

Mushrooms, huh? Well, I consider them almost less harmful than high-THC pot. If the medical application is there (treatment-resistant depression), it's debatable.

Once shrooms falls from Schedule I to Schedule IV or so, it's safer. But studies keep on streaming in on the therapeutic benefits of microdose and trip doses. There will be clinics for it soonish.

If they're growing what would be a personal stash amount, the law cares less. But you could get a real mean cop who needs to make a quota or something. It's a risk. Try conventional treatment first. If several meds don't work, as your doc if shrooms might help. Then at least you'd have a decent recommendation if you get caught.

SSRIs get a lot of flack, especially here, but SSRIs do work. There's a reason that they're the first antidepressants given. They help me. And I consider myself a tough case overall.

So, yeah.

1. See if 3+ other meds of at least two classes don't work. I'd say more like 5 different antidepressants. This means giving them each several weeks at least.
2. If they don't, ask if the indication is there (from your doc)
3. Ideally, wait until they drop from Schedule I and shroom clinics appear
4. Ideally take them in a legal manner
5. Don't acquire more than an amount of personal use. Most law officials understand that it's better to spend time raiding meth labs and catching bulk heroin suppliers and the like, than to take away the personal stash of an illegal drug from a person whom might significantly benefit from it, and which isn't addictive and by at least one comprehensive study is the least harmful drug, and which otherwise is considered very benign.

If you're bent on taking it regardless, make sure to have a sitter and a decent atmosphere so you don't freak out...do your research.

I'm saying the "child" has a known mental illness and you believe it's okay for these parents to allow to grow in their own home and self medicate rather trying professional help first?

No I don't. I think that pro help is better to go to first and to give a good go at it. It might take time to find that med(s) that are best for whomever this is.

Maybe the professional could advise you on what medicinal agents you can grow yourself, if any.

Self-medication is risky, quite.

I'm saying the "child" has a known mental illness and you believe it's okay for these parents to allow to grow in their own home and self medicate rather trying professional help first?

Sounds like you already have a strong opinion and aren?t looking to hear from people who have ones that differ.

Why not just say it bothers you and ask people here to help you make a better argument for or explain your opinion? Because that?s what it looks like you?re looking for.

^ This, and to respond specifically to your issue with my own post -

NewFaceSameTripper said:
I proposed a question with unbiased facts to receive opinions from users that frequent or are very interested in mental illness topics.

How am I reducing a complex situation into a black/white decision on your opinion?
In actual fact, you asked an extremely vague question which lends itself to a fairly obvious answer without context. As a general rule obviously most people would say no, you should not let a dependent child grow a psychoactive substance on their own when they may not have a full understanding of what it does and what it might do to them - even without bringing the annoying legal stuff into play.

Given the context in which it which asked however, which you have yourself admitted but which you omitted from your original post, this read to me as a fairly loaded question more along the lines of "Someone's kid is growing mushrooms and I am not happy with their style of parenting! Please help me argue my point so I can let them know why they are wrong!"

If this context was genuinely not a factor then my interpretation of your post would have been quite different, but given that it obviously was a factor the way in which you chose to post just strikes me as more than a little disingenuous.

What Vastness said. Also you have no idea whether those people have given their child professional help or not. You don't know if it's a child, either, or a live-in offspring who is an adult and unable to live on their own. You have no idea what their lives are like or any details except a few, from which you drew some pretty intense conclusions (for example at one point you suggested that their child was a sociopath because he couldn't keep his room clean). I don't get why you're so fixated on this but don't pretend that's not why you started this thread.