• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Quartering a MSER. Safe to take (orally)?

Automator

Bluelighter
Prescribed 60mg MSER, having decent pain. Can I quarter a 30mg pill and take a piece (quarter) without harm? Would it even help?

I'm assuming MSER is morphine sulfate extended release? I'm also assuming you mean 60mg a day, therefor you take 2 30mg pills per day?

If so, and if you are prescribed 60mg then it absolutely won't harm you to take a quarter of a pill. I'm not telling you take more but you may not be very impressed with the results of taking a quarter of a pill.

I'm assuming MSER is morphine sulfate extended release? I'm also assuming you mean 60mg a day, therefor you take 2 30mg pills per day?

If so, and if you are prescribed 60mg then it absolutely won't harm you to take a quarter of a pill. I'm not telling you take more but you may not be very impressed with the results of taking a quarter of a pill.

All of your information is correct and I apologize I omitted it. Can barely stand up, the pain is killing me. I don’t ever take more of something, but this is bad.

It's ok, I just wanted to make sure I had the facts straight. Most forms of extended release morphine are tamper proof which means breaking them up usually doesn't change them from ER to IR.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain, it's up to you whether you take more morphine to deal with it and i'm sure you understand that more now will equal less later, ie. running short on your script.

I know this doesn't help now but you should talk with your doc about adding a small amount of a faster acting opiate for situations like this. I've never used opiates for long term pain relief so I don't have much advice past this.

I hope your pain is quelled soon, wish you the best

Prescribed 60mg MSER, having decent pain. Can I quarter a 30mg pill and take a piece (quarter) without harm? Would it even help?

I am prescribed the 30 mg MS Contin for severe pain and I am prescribed 2 and a half pills a day.
I have to cut one pill in half, as prescribed.

I sometimes will use the half in two pieces at different times during the day and let it melt slowly under my tongue.
I need the numbing effect it has and that works good for me. It numbs the pain "flare up" issue down.

I think you would be fine doing what you are asking.