• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants question about speed

gamechanger

Greenlighter
you know how for recovery from MDMA, there's suggestion to take 5HTP.

Would 5HTP help for speed?

I read on this board that doses of vitamin C help for meth...

would it help for speed (Amphetamine).

Thanks.

5htp is a precursor for serotonin. MDMA depletes serotonin levels which is why many folks take 5htp for 'recovery' (though I've never needed it myself).

Straight amphetamine doesn't mess with serotonin (though methamphetamine does) so 5htp probably won't do much to help.

What is it you're trying to achieve? Are you just trying to get through a difficult come down or treat a stimulant addiction?

I've always found the best 'treatment' for amphetamine come downs is plenty of sleep, plenty of food and liquids and a healthy dose of manup... ;)

Don't be tempted to go down the road of using benzos or opiates to relieve the pain though - that never ends well...

Last edited:
Oh no. (and thank you) I've met some one who does take speed from time to time and I've not too much understanding of handling it post so I'd like to learn, vs. on the MDMA side I know... like insomnia and all that jazz. I readily have 5HTP and vitamins that I could readily provide.

Yeah, MDMA depletes serotonin, and though I've never felt it, i recently learned one of my friends had experienced depression a day after, which was never told to me in the past.

If speed doesnt mess w/ serotonin, how does it give someone the euphoric characteristics.

Amphetamine, street name speed, releases or (I can't remember which, pretty sure it's release) inhibits release of dopamine and norepinephrine. The latter mostly just causes physical side effects and doesn't produce much, if any, euphoria. The former, dopamine, can cause plenty of euphoria when released or inhibited in the right ways.

Continuous use of amp can cause dopamine to be severely depleated and no amount of supplements are going to fix this. Short term sporadic use can probably be managed with dopamine supplementation. It'll help smooth out the bumps but it won't supplement for the dopamine your brain naturally produces.