Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Government moves to grant pardons for old pot possession convictions

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Liberals move to grant pardons for old pot possession convictions
Kathleen Harris
CBC
March 1st, 2019

The Liberal government is moving on its plan to grant fast, free pardons for Canadians who were convicted of pot possession before the drug was legalized last fall.

Bill C-93, tabled in the House of Commons on Friday, amends the Criminal Records Act (CRA) and aims to break down barriers to employment, housing or travel for Canadians with a criminal record for pot.

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale hopes the bill will pass into law by summer.

"We believe it's good public policy to remove roadblocks to the successful reintegration of previous offenders who have fully served their sentences, especially after such major renovations in the laws as occurred with C-45 last fall," he said.

The Cannabis Act, which legalized and regulated the possession, cultivation and distribution of marijuana, came into force Oct. 17.

Read the full story here.

Not to sound condescending, but I trust many of you will understand why this news is more precious than the fact that the 'drug' in question was rightfully-legalized.

These citizens have endured unjust pain, persecution and prosecution because of endlessly-demonized plant matter being in their possession. It's a progressive policy change that I can proudly stand by.

I only hope that America soon follows suit at the federal level.

The south will be dragged kicking and screaming towards any such measure in the US. Truly barbaric place.

The US government doesn't recognize Canadian pardons though. I guess its good if you need it for a job, it's not going to help for your trip to Vegas though.

The US government doesn't recognize Canadian pardons though. I guess its good if you need it for a job, it's not going to help for your trip to Vegas though.

When you get a pardon in Canada your record gets wiped from the shared police database that both countries use at the border, so as long as you never tried to cross while you had a record it shouldn't show up. That's what I've read, anyway.