• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Need Help regarding schizophrenia?

georgewhittington

Ex-Bluelighter
I know there are many treatments available for schizophrenia disease. But want to know if there a natural treatment for schizophrenia?? or any other treatment besides medications?

There are productive activities. As said numerously, but it's still relevant, mediation and exercise are your friends.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective three years ago,which is a less severe form of schizophrenia. I was on antipsychotics for maybe a year and a half, and they helped with the symptoms, but I wasn't a fan of the way they made me feel - sluggish, out of it, and generally kind of incompetent. I ended up weaning myself off of them and now I don't take anything for it. Dealing with symptoms then becomes more difficult, but depending on how intense the hallucinations, delusions, or paranoia is, your brain can be trained not so much to ignore it but to accept it as happening in the moment. The trick is not to let it affect you. You kinda just have to be aware of what's going on but not fall victim to it. Most of my hallucinations are auditory and it helps to assert in my mind or out loud sometimes that whoever is speaking to me is the irrational one, so why would I listen to them? It's different for everyone, so I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what will work for you, but that's just something I've found to be useful in dealing with symptoms.

Also My family doctor told to stay away from yoga and meditation. But really want to know treatments besides medications??

Generally speaking medication is what they usually offer because it's the most likely to produce results. Anyone diagnosed will usually be treated by some therapist or other because they like to keep an eye on those symptoms, observe how they're being handled, and ensure the client isn't a danger to themselves or others. Other than that there's not a lot of different methods used. People (myself included) will self medicate but that can be risky because certain drugs may make symptoms worse. It all really depends on your brain chemistry.

I'm not a fan of medication, but with the right combo you can have some of your life back.

I had a psychosis in 05....Cleared up after Abilfy, didn't take my treatment seriously and got baack on drugs.....

Today Ive been on almost all meds. I was on Risperdone for eleven years...I'm now of Zyprexa...

They diagnosed me MDD w psychotic featuers....I'm here but when MY PTSD/OCD flare up I can feel like I did years ago...