• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

New to Cartridges!

soundsystem00

Bluelighter
Hey guys! I have had drug tests for years and have not been able to smoke. I am finally able to smoke again and I went straight to a cartridge. I love vaping any way, so the thought of a thc vape was appealing to me. I got my first one and love it. I just wanted some advice on a couple things :

1. How do you like to smoke it? Is it good to take one large hit and hold it in?

2. Is it better to take several short puffs?

3. Do these things smell? I really have not noticed any sort of scene with this.

4. My friend said that you aren't suppose to hold the hit in like you do with flower. That doesn't make sense to me, isn't that a myth?

5. Why does it taste burnt? I sometimes let other people hit it and was wondering if they burnt it up? I don't think so, because a lot of times, the hits don't taste burnt. That means I didn't hit it correctly?

6. If I have to switch to a new cart, is it effective to open the lid and dump the oil into another empty cart or does that cause complications?

Thanks guys! respect.

I tried my son's cartridge last week and took a couple small puffs. I need to get him to sign up here because he's the "expert" in my family and could tell you a whole lot more. My one tip- Let your pen cool off for a minute between hits. I think rapid succession power hitting will heat it up causing that burnt taste.

1. big hits when I want a big high. little hits when I want a little high.

2. Doesn't really matter unless your vape is subpar and allows the wick/heating element to overheat when held too long. Find a battery that has low wattage and auto shut off.

3. Depends on the cart. THC doesn't have any scent, but the terpenes do. In pure distillate carts it will have a more perfume/soap like smell that doesn't really linger. In live resin carts there will be a weed smell.

4. Your friend is tripping. It's literally the same concept as smoking a joint or vaping a bowl of flower or taking a dab. You hold the smoke/vapor containing THC in your lungs, the THC absorbs into your bloodstream through your lungs and then travels to your brain and gets you high. How much more/less holding/not holding in a hit is debatable, but logically holding in a hit for some amount of time to allow for more THC to absorb into your lungs would result in more thc in the bloodstream so more high.'

5. Maybe the battery and cartridge combo allows for the wick/heating element to get too hot. Or it could be poorly made extract, but if you notice it after letting other people hit it chances are it's getting too hot, as when you smoke by yourself it allows for cool down time.

6. I wouldn't bother making my own carts unless I had access to a lab, or quantities to do bulk. You could probably re use the cartridges a few times without problem, assuming you fill the cart correctly with the correct extract, but they definitely aren't designed with that in mind.

I like multiple smaller hits but like smoking you can do it like whatever.
It's a little easier to hold in than weed
I'd go with ones that have a metal or ceramic tip; stay away from plastic tips
If your cart is going a wick to heat the oil that could be producing the burn taste.
Comparing some from my shop using the same extract I noticed it tasted allot better in the one with a metal atomizer that the oil got sucked into.
Be careful were you get them since there are some bunk med companies that sell low quality shit some of which may have pestisides.

I started using cartridges back in October. Found several different kinds. Ton’s of different batteries too.

Here’s some tips/tricks.

1) Batteries can be auto draw or press button type. The auto draws can’t misfire when in your pocket for example. The press button types usually need 3 or 5 rapid clicks to turn it on and the same to switch power settings if they exist.

2) Some batteries/vapes have a variable voltage adjustment. The ones that don’t are more straightforward to use but lack the flexibility of switching temperatures.

3) The cartridges can be wick or wickless (ceramic coil cartridges). I prefer wickless cartridges, because if you treat them properly they tend to last a long time. wick cartridges you have to be a little bit more reserved when you take a draw (not a big haul).

With the ceramic coils carts, I find that if I start inhaling a little bit before I fire the button then no burnt taste. If I fire the button w/o inhaling then it’s burnt taste time.

Reloading the carts is perfectly ok. I’ve reloaded them with honey oil and distillate. They can be tricky to refill. If I’m refilling from a syringe, I usually warm the syring up in hot water for a minute or 2. Lowers the viscosity and makes it easier to load.

You smoke carts the same as you would smoke any other form of Cannabis.

Careful with the carts. I went from those to a dab pen and between the two my tolerance shot up.

If you’ve got any other questions about vape cartridges I can try to answer.

Tom

Last edited:
^ I've had dab rigs set off the fire alarm but never a cart/pod. There generally isn't enough vape production in a cart to trigger a fire alarm.

OP, I prefer to take intermittent hits when using carts/pods, meaning I don't take hits back to back. There is a cool down time that will help prevent getting that burnt taste. Simply wait several seconds between hits to prevent this issue.

The smell is minimal and in some cases almost completely non-existent (distillates, CO2, CBD, etc.).

Some carts and/or pods have detachable openings for refills. They generally can't be refilled more than a couple times before it needs a rebuild or replaced.