• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Asking Pain Management to Up Oxycodone... too risky?

XoTillWeOverdose

Bluelighter
Hey everyone! I finally signed up to Bluelight though I've been reading posts from here for years. Feels good to become less of just an on looker and more involved :)

Just as a small background on me, I'm enduring spine and neck issues as well as still recovering from a total hip replacement surgery I just had. Currently my pain levels have forced me to stop working and move home as I awaited my surgery. Unfortunately even after my surgery, I'm still in excruciating pain daily and simple things like walking or laying down can be aggravating for me.

Anyways, I have been meeting with my pain management doctor for about a year now since my primary doctor became too nervous to prescribe me the medications I needed in order to function. At first he started me on hydrocodone, which worked for a bit, but then the pain and my tolerance level proved that was ineffective. He currently has me on Gabapentin and 10/325 Oxycodone 3x daily. Unfortunately I have now developed a tolerance to the oxycodone and they are no longer working well for me. I have to take at least 20mg at a time to have relief which has put me in the position like I am today in where it's 9 days until my next appointment and I am out of Oxycodone. (Also yes, I know one should never take more than prescribed, but when you're in debilitating pain, you're going to do what you can to stop it.)

I want to ask him about upping either the strength of the Oxycodone or having me up my 3 times a day to 4 times a day. However with all the new regulations and opioid policies, I am nervous he might think of me as drug-seeking. Also it's weird having to ask for more of an opioid for me. However like now for instance, where all I can do is lay in bed, I've realized something needs to change. This is now the 2nd time this has happened to me after I swore I wouldn't allow it to happen again. (Then again pain happens and you just want it to stop) I don't know if asking him is "worth it" or if I should just go and pick up my normal prescription. Is asking him for more Oxycodone a risk and would it be smart in my particular case? I'm hoping to get back to work ASAP, but can't if there are long stretches where my pain isn't relieved. I'm also hoping to stop being on pain medication. Unfortunately we're still having to pinpoint what's going on.

Also before anyone asks, I'm on a very small dose of Gabapentin so it's not really giving me much pain relief. Yes, I've tried supplementing with Kratom but it doesn't touch my pain. Yes, I've had 4 spine and neck epidurals which don't do shit for my pain. Yes, I've bought "special shoes" to walk better thinking that would help my pain. Yes I am trying to rest my body the majority of the day but am still in immense pain. Sorry, just wanted to cover all bases in case someone asks. Haha

Ps - If this matters to anyone, I'm in my mid 20's and relatively fit. There has to be something genuinely wrong because most people around 24 and 25 don't suffer these kinds of issues. Just thought I'd add that in case age is relevant for anyone reading. Also sorry for the ESSAY -_-

Hi XTWO and Welcome to BL :)

I understand that you're assessing if asking the Doc for more meds is worth it or not, but I should mention that asking how to get more pain meds from a Doctor is against our rules, as well as replies that hint at that. Just so your aware and don't cross that line or understand why this thread might get closed soon.

The better question might be "What can I do to augment the pain relief I currently have?", which is a helpful subject, regardless which direction your Doc goes in with his current opioid amounts.

It's also difficult for us to asses how your doctor might react since you know him best and anything we might suggest is pure speculation based upon our collective experiences, which span the whole spectrum from liberal to CDC Guideline slaves whose patients needs mean little. For instance, I have a relative who lost 29 years of efficacious pain management due to recent CDC involvement and this person has been through 41 operations, so there's little rhyme nor reason to what some physicians do these days.

Best of Luck to you.

Normally we don't help people get more drugs from their doc.

From your history it sounds like you have been down many different routes of trying to treat this and oxy works best. I would explain to your doc that oxy is one of the only things that's helped out of everything you've tried.

Hi XTWO and Welcome to BL :)

I understand that you're assessing if asking the Doc for more meds is worth it or not, but I should mention that asking how to get more pain meds from a Doctor is against our rules, as well as replies that hint at that. Just so your aware and don't cross that line or understand why this thread might get closed soon.

The better question might be "What can I do to augment the pain relief I currently have?", which is a helpful subject, regardless which direction your Doc goes in with his current opioid amounts.

It's also difficult for us to asses how your doctor might react since you know him best and anything we might suggest is pure speculation based upon our collective experiences, which span the whole spectrum from liberal to CDC Guideline slaves whose patients needs mean little. For instance, I have a relative who lost 29 years of efficacious pain management due to recent CDC involvement and this person has been through 41 operations, so there's little rhyme nor reason to what some physicians do these days.

Best of Luck to you.

Oh wow, thank you so much for providing clarity on the rules! I want to apologize to any readers, I should have been more aware and not phrased this post in this way. Again, thank you for letting me know in a kind and helpful way :)

You're completely right on the not being in the know in terms of my doctor. I've always done my best to stay 100% honest with my pain and try other methods instead of just relying on medication. Sadly these other methods are just proving to waste my time. I'll go with whatever feels right as well as let him know I'm hoping to get back to my normal life so I can hopefully not have to rely on these medications anymore.

Thanks and take care!

Normally we don't help people get more drugs from their doc.

From your history it sounds like you have been down many different routes of trying to treat this and oxy works best. I would explain to your doc that oxy is one of the only things that's helped out of everything you've tried.

I completely understand, I should have been more aware of the rules and my words before posting this. I appreciate your response. Yes, I'll definitely make sure to let him know how this is turning into a nightmare. Thank you so much, all my best!

Ps - Jekyl, that's literally RIDICULOUS about your relative. I don't even know how that's legal. I truly feel for people like that or others who are truly suffering who typically get dinged the hardest with all the new policies and regulations. My heart breaks for some of these senior citizens in worse shape than me being denied medication at the pharmacy. Ugh. Hopefully that will be resolved.

I'm definitely NOT trying to "get high." I'm trying to walk and live the normal life I had before these issues culminated into this. You didn't read what I wrote in my replies, but I mentioned that I hope to stop these medications and get back to who I know I can be. I'm in my mid 20's and just want to get back to working, walking, functioning, etc.

Seriously, just tell him what's going on, and that what you're taking is inadequate. Don't bother trying to manipulate your doctor. Sorry to hear about your back and neck pain, I know how that is.

I'm definitely NOT trying to "get high." I'm trying to walk and live the normal life I had before these issues culminated into this. You didn't read what I wrote in my replies, but I mentioned that I hope to stop these medications and get back to who I know I can be. I'm in my mid 20's and just want to get back to working, walking, functioning, etc.

Wish you the best of luck brotha. I know the feeling 100%. Im 25, and im simply trying to live a 'normal life' without having to be in pain all the time as well (fell through a second story floor during a structure fire we had). I was in pain management as well and didn't have the guts to ask him to 'up' my dose, in fear of him kicking me out.

Good luck

We?re not here to help you get high.

Closed

We're not here to be rude to people either. Did you even read his opening post?

OP, sorry you're experiencing such pain. I can't imagine being in my 20's and needing a hip replacement. You mentioned that you have back and neck problems as well. Have you had a recent MRI? If not, you could bring that up individually to your orthopedist.

I don't know how much information your pain management doctor has but it might help to remind him that's it's not only post-surgical pain. He may adjust your gabapentin dosage. I'm surprised they haven't offered you Motrin and muscle relaxants. You have to be on board with whatever different meds they suggest. I wish you luck and healing! :)

I wanna apologize about before sorry I was just trying to be funny I have a dumb ass sense of humor, I really am sorry to hear about your pain man I hope you get what you need from the doctor

I?ve found the key is to ask a doctor what the progression table looks like for dosing for the rest of his pain patients that go through similar pain... so if he?s done it for someone else, bringing up that fact should help him to do the same for you. I hope that piece of advice redeemed my earlier shenanigans. Sorry again and I hope you feel better

I also know that documentation IS EVERYTHING. I would start keeping a journal. Example:

"I started experiencing this pain (describe in great detail) at this time & day.
I tried these alternative ways to alleviate pain
30 minutes later...my pain is this. (Use a 1-10 scale)
After using several methods I resulted in taking (insert drug/mg), time, date..etc "

I would proceed with your regular prescriptions for this month and have a solid 30 days of data. That would at least show this is not just a concept that occurred to you while jonesing.

Hope that helps.

What you're undergoing in the States, mandatory taper to 90 mgs morphine or equivalent for non terminal patients, IS SOMETHING BARBARIC!!! YOU SHOULD ASK FOR HELP DIRECTLY TO THE UN AND AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL!!! Oh and by the way, which direction the opioid epidemic took? Black market fentanyl and more potent analogues, from China and Mexico. Not even only heroin. Since the anti-abuse reformulation of oxy, things got worse and worse, people turning to stronger pks, and now to something even stronger and deadlier than illegal heroin. Prohibition is a world-wide genocide. Period. Anyway, answering your question, be polite to your doc, remind him that it's evident why/how you're in pain, and consider even upping the gabapentin dosage, if you feel it could help. I also urge the arrogant ass who wrote "this thread is closed we're not helping you to get high" to respect people in pain. No one here is helping anybody get more pills, we're just reassuring a concerned person and trying to make COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES, not strategies about upping the meds dose to get him fucked up. Show some respect. The thread can't be closed this way. There's nothing against the rules as, once again, no one here is helping him get more pills. We're just helping him with his fear and pain.

I’m 30+ epidurals deep, multiple years of every possible non-narcotic approach.

Currently on 60mg MSER a day. I’m flat out asking for a dose increase or different medication. My appointment is soon, so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Me, personally, would just tell him that the breakthrough pain is too much - ask if he will allow you to take an ER formulation of something. Say, for all day relief.

Pulling for you broski.

I would also check out chronic pain subreddit as almost 100 percent of discussion is in the ball park of what you just asked.

Do not directly ask for more opioids. Just say that the pain returns x hours after your dose or x hours before your next dose. That the pain is causing you to neglect your responsibilities in life now such as kids etc.

Be open to whatever shitty drugs he will try to give you instead of opiates then look up the side effects and tell him next visit you have a bad side effect.

Ask him about non drug treatments also/ whatever you haven't tried. Talk about surgery etc. It will show it isn't all about drugs and you just want the pain gone.