• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Brain Droppings on Recovery

aihfl

Bluelight Crew
I'm doing something this time around I've never done before, keeping a journal to record the thoughts and epiphanies that come to me during therapy, meditation/Dharma lessons at the Vajrapana Kadampa Buddhist Meditation Center in my city, and Refuge Recovery meetings. Whatever I think might be worthwhile to others, I'll post here:

"One of the key things to understand is that everything is constantly changing, both inside and outside of us. Our very bodies are in a constant state of change. First we grow up, then we grow old, then we die, and our bodies continue to change and decay. On the physical level, this is obvious to most. But mentally, it can come as breaking news. All sensations, emotions, moods, experiences and relationships are ephemeral. They have a beginning, a middle and an end. Nothing lasts, nothing is permanent, just the rising and passing of phenomena in the body. As we all discovered as addicts, it is impossible to maintain a permanent state of intoxication. That was not our failure as addicts. It wasn't because we weren't smart or rich enough. It was because it is impossible to win the battle against impermanence." --Noah Levine, Refuge Recovery, pp. 31-32

How true. Remember when we no longer use for euphoria, but instead just to feel normal? The very definition of impermanent.

I had severe anxiety bordering on panic yesterday toward the end of the workday. I don't know why yet, but my therapist said that feelings don't arise in a vacuum, so it's up to me to dedicate some quiet time to myself and figure out what brought it on. It was tempting to pop a few benzos (hey, they're prescribed, after all). Ok, well, I took one. It only made me slightly less anxious but didn't make it go away. What did make it go away was reflecting on this passage from RR and sharing at a meeting that it was a timely lesson that this mental state won't last forever, even though when you're in the middle of it, it feels like it's going to last forever, or at the very least, it can't end soon enough.

Another thing from a recent Dharma lesson: doing something that benefits someone materially is transitory, but sending love and compassion out into the world in your meditation is not. Not to say that you shouldn't aid others when they are genuine; to say that you'll send them love and compassion while meditating (and not helping) is a cop out. I work in the education sector, so I don't make a shit ton of money. But I was coming out of Dunkin' Donuts last month when I was approached by a homeless man and I regurgitated my usual response of "I don't carry cash" (which is true). He looked so hurt, I asked him if he was hungry and he said he just wanted to get something to eat for him and his wife until he got his SNAP card from his social worker. I told him I honestly did not have cash, but I would be happy to buy him a meal. We went back into the DD, and he said "Just get whatever's cheap." I didn't. Knowing that calories count when you don't know when your next meal is going to be, I got him two of the most caloric breakfast sandwiches on the menu, plus two hash browns.

Well done aih. I was walking out if CVS with my daughter, a homeless man approached us saying he was hungry - he and his wife. I don't carry cash either. I bought him alot of food and stuff to drink - my daughter wanted to hand it to him, I gave her the bag. The guy started crying, and said "omg, noone ever does this". I said "I know. Enjoy it.". I've been homeless.

Something I learned, while homeless, is people don't help you when you need it the most. When I looked homeless, I was invisable.

Yet, when I was dressed nicely, with makeup on - people stopped and asked me if I was ok and needed anything?! I was waiting for a cab lol. I found it sad.

A- last week I had a severe panic attack. I couldn't feel my limbs, was hyperventilating, the whole 9. I don't have any benzos. Needed one. I know why I had mine though.

I had a moment of clarity, if you will. I was using, and suddenly, I said "WHAT am I doing?! My God". It all looked so ugly and evil. And why do I hate myself so much?

Keeping a journal is an excellent idea. I think I might join you. I used to diligently journal, until my parents found and read them, and shared them with the entire family. I could barely breathe. It was a dark time in my life, with alot of very personal feelings in there. Suffice to say, it was a bad situation.

I liked journaling. I discovered things I didn't even realize about myself. I believe it's time to journal again.

Hope you're well A. I'm sending you genuine good vibes and compassion. If I was wealthy, I'd send you some cash to spoil yourself with. I really wish I was able to lol. Anyway, hope you're having a good day. :)

Regret and Anxiety

Living in the past often leads to regret; worrying about the future leads to anxiety.

One of my favorite poems from when I was a kid:
What If, by Shel Silverstein

Last night while I lay thinking here,
some what ifs crawled in my ear,
and pranced and partied all night long,
and sang their same old what if song.
What if I'm dumb in school?
What if they've closed the swimming pool?
What if I get beat up?
What if there's poison in my cup?
What if I start to cry?
What if I get sick and die?
What if I flunk that test?
What if green hair grows on my chest?
What if nobody likes me?
What if a bolt of lightning strikes me?
What if I don't grow taller?
What if my head starts getting smaller?
What if the fish won't bite?
What if the wind tears up my kite?
What if they start a war?
What if my parents get divorced?
What if the bus is late?
What if my teeth don't grow in straight?
What if I tear my pants?
What if I never learn to dance?
Everything seems swell, and then
the nighttime what ifs strike again.

I loved your thoughts and quotes. How true. We are always changing. Things never will be the same or stay the same. It's good to move on and move forward and learn new things. This has been a hug learning experience for me. I know I have many months of recovery ahead but I guess that is part of this life. To learn from past experience, grow and develop into something always changing and moving forward.

Managing Anxiety

Got this from a handout in therapy. I am a chronic worrier and anxiety ridden mess. I hope this can help others.

1. Problem solve - don't worry. Worrying is a very inefficient attempt to problem solve, so when you worry, turn this into useful problem solving by considering ways to solve the problem. Change "What ifs," into "How/what can I do..." Most "What ifs" are unlikely to happen anyway, so why waste time and energy on them? Creating mental outcomes (that are usually negative) can mislead you into thinking you are doing something about a problem when the reality is that this is not an alternative to tackling the problem in practical ways.

2. Accept uncertainty - it's a fact of life. Everyone will always have to live with and tolerate some degree of uncertainty. Unexpected things will always happen from time to time and accepting this will reduce your anxiety.

3. Negative moods (depression, sadness, anger, guilt, shame and even physical states like pain and tiredness etc.) fuel anxiety. Worrying is a fact of life, but avoid it during these negative states because they will make the anxiety more difficult to control and stop. If you're in a negative state, immediately try to apply a healthy coping strategy (more on those later) to lift your mood.

4. Avoid suppressing unwanted worries - they bounce back even more strongly. Acknowledge the worrisome thoughts, then move on to doing something more useful.

5. Limit the times you allow yourself to worry, then do something soothing after.

6. Don't let anxiety keep you awake at night. Keep a pen and paper handy (or ask Siri to remind you of something at such-and-such time) next to the bed. Once the worry has been transferred to paper (or the circuits of your virtual assistant), there is no longer a need to keep it in your head. It can be dealt with tomorrow.

7. Stay in the moment. Spending your time worrying is less time that you will spend enjoying the present. Acknowledge the anxiety but don't engage it and refocus your attention with a healthy coping strategy.

--

"Our lives are now more complicated, and mentally we are becoming more unhappy and worried. There are now more problems and greater dangers than ever before. This shows that we cannot make ourselves happy by simply improving external conditions. Of course we need basic human conditions because we are human beings, but external conditions can only make us happy if our mind is peaceful. If our mind is not peaceful, we will never be happy, even if external conditions are perfect." --Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, The New Meditation Handbook, Introduction

Last edited: