• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The Seven Laws of Magical Thinking, with Matt Hutson

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
I got the book by the same guy & title a few days ago & have been really impressed with it, he just goes to show no matter how much people may say they don't believe in "magic / majick" they really do. He goes into showing how the most "rational" person on earth actually does things that are classed as "magic / majick"

I cannot big this book up enough & his done quite a bit online in terms of interviews etc & is well worth checking out, this is one piece I checked out the other day & is great hence why I am posting it up, no matter how "logical" you may be you too also buy into this special realm of thinking & how it works in your daily life too. The piece about the Red Sox baseball ground made me laugh so much when I read it & how many people were wanting to really hurt the guy that put it there.

Agora: The Seven Laws of Magical Thinking, with Matt Hutson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_5dE9xris

?Often, the biologically modern deliberative system is powerless to restrain the ancient associative system it?s built on. It makes no difference how clever you are or how reasonable you try to be: research shows little correlation between people?s levels of rationality or intelligence and their susceptibility to magical thinking.?
― Matthew Hutson,The Seven Laws of Magical Thinking, with Matt Hutson.

This is quite believable to me, as we evolved with "magical thinking". I do, however, think that people, through a strong force of will and objective oversight, can minimize it. By that I mean, we can minimize the number of logical breaches we entertain. I know as a kid I was a very magical thinker, as I think any kid is. This continued up through my mid twenties when I was really into all the new agey stuff (2012, Atlantis, synchronicity, etc etc etc). Now in my mid thirties, I rely on that sort of thinking much, much less and I try my best to believe things based on evidence. Some of my evidence is subjective in a few topics, but for me the experiences I have had in those areas are powerful enough that I at least consider those beliefs strong possibilities for reality.

This is quite believable to me, as we evolved with "magical thinking". I do, however, think that people, through a strong force of will and objective oversight, can minimize it. By that I mean, we can minimize the number of logical breaches we entertain. I know as a kid I was a very magical thinker, as I think any kid is. This continued up through my mid twenties when I was really into all the new agey stuff (2012, Atlantis, synchronicity, etc etc etc). Now in my mid thirties, I rely on that sort of thinking much, much less and I try my best to believe things based on evidence. Some of my evidence is subjective in a few topics, but for me the experiences I have had in those areas are powerful enough that I at least consider those beliefs strong possibilities for reality.

Wait until you're in your mid fifties mate - everything is fuckin bullshit then... ;)

^Hehe :D

But I do think that as we age we tend to start seeing cause and effect a bit more clearly. Certainly I find it harder to simply accept magical 'solutions' to mysterious occurences- in general, they are disappointingly inconclusive and offer no explanations whatsoever. The actual explanation is much more satisfying basically 99% of the time.

Zopiclone Bandit said:
He goes into showing how the most "rational" person on earth actually does things that are classed as "magic / majick

I'm very curious about the magick that I am currently doing. Does the author give some examples?

I was very into occult stuff for a while; nearly all my readings lead me to believe most practitioners ultimately view magick as a manifestation of will power rather than some other supernatural force.

Every culture contains a bit of so called 'magic' to it, shamanism & magic are NOT the same and they share the same basics and rules but different matrixes & principles with druidic influences in some parts, one that come's in my mind it's the Tree of Life.

It depends how you have gained this ability to communicate and practice. Shamans are trying to use their abilities to make his river of knowledge into a colour reality that the world can see, on the other side you got magicians which's only does for his own. Shamans do indeed exist and have certain paramaters which allows them to make a bridge between 0 and 1. K
abbalah

As medium I can speak in this area, magicians aren't real and depends what you call magic. Don't be a kid and think about those useless brainwashing stuffs.

regards,

Winter

Joke of the Day

A state Gov't Employee sits at the office and out of boredom, decides to see what is in the old file cabnet. He finds an old brass lamp and decides to take it home.

While polishing the lamp, a genie appears and grants three wishes.

"I wish for an ice cold diet Pepsi right now ? He gets a Pepsi and drinks it.

After this the second wish. "I wish to be on a beautiful island "

Suddenly on an exotic island, he tells the genie his third and last wish. " I wish
I'd never have to work ever again "

And POOF ! He's back in his gov't office.

I loled :D

All joking aside....

The book is really basic and simply explains how so many everyday practices and habits are actually based on a belief in magic or magical thinking.

I was pleasantly surprised, it's just simple down to earth second look at things we do that we really never think about.

I'd say well worth the time to read regardless of opinions. It has given me a new perspective on a lot of simple things.

All joking aside....

The book is really basic and simply explains how so many everyday practices and habits are actually based on a belief in magic or magical thinking.

I was pleasantly surprised, it's just simple down to earth second look at things we do that we really never think about.

I'd say well worth the time to read regardless of opinions. It has given me a new perspective on a lot of simple things.

and who wouldn't like magic, when it could be a happy thing ??.
very nice !

The book really shows you how you have magical thinking. And once you've read it or even the first introduction it will improve your understanding of what Matt Hutson is talking about.

Not the magic you've been thinking it is by most of the posts in this thread.

Not the magic you've been thinking it is by most of the posts in this thread.

His piece on the two photos, one of Hitler & another of your child really rang bells with me & the stuff about people not going fishing on a Friday.
I have always been under the idea 99% of people take magic to think you stand around naked in a field pointing a stick at stuff & shout bizarre words hoping to make something happen, it doesn't work that way kids.

His piece on the two photos, one of Hitler & another of your child really rang bells with me & the stuff about people not going fishing on a Friday.
I have always been under the idea 99% of people take magic to think you stand around naked in a field pointing a stick at stuff & shout bizarre words hoping to make something happen, it doesn't work that way kids.
Ive never thought that it is a subject that is more interesting than normal everyday subjects even if it bulshit

Maybe it would be helpful if I pointed out the book is about magical "thinking" not magic.

When people "knock on wood" they are doing it to avoid a mishap that happened to someone else, the act of knocking on wood can't possibly be of benefit yet thousands of people do it. We have turned it into a social practice but when you think about it WTF does this do?

That practice is magical thinking. Like four leaded clovers or lucky horseshoes etc.

This book isn't about magic practices etc. It's about the stupid shit we do daily because we never thought it through.

It makes you rethink how you behave and has actually made me change a few silly practices I never really noticed I did. I'm a bit of a collector of old crap that had some kinda value to me once but when I consider why I gave these things value enough to collect them, i couldn't come up with a reason.

Next time someone you're talking to "knocks on wood" ask them why And see what they say.

I beleive in luck or jynxes do you know some people who always seem to win on slot machines or otherwise get more luck in life than others?

By far this book was the best read I've had off blue light.

Thanks so much for pointing it out. Now I really understand where my thinking process crosses over from logica- rational to unexplained magical.

Yay for skeptical people.