Missing DM

8BitTrip

Bluelighter
I spent about 40 minutes pouring my heart and soul into a message to another user, Kungfukenny421 but when I tried to send it, the site returned the message something like 'Missing security token' I was forced to log in again but after my hard work, the message, which I cannot easily recreate -if at all- was gone. Is there anyway an admin can see this, retrieve it and send it me? Or otherwise explain what might have happened. Help
-8bt

Sadly, it's gone. In the future you should back-up messages to a text editor to avoid this problem. What most likely happened is you spent so long typing in the message that your logged in session expired before you hit the send button. If you tick the box that says something to the effect of "use cookies" or "stay logged in" you'll avoid this problem in the future.

The sever never received your message because a user that isn't logged in can't submit one so the admins won't be able to help you retrieve it.

Okay, thanks a lot for your response. As I suspected but good to have it confirmed.

After a certain amount of time, the site requires you to reload the page to send a PM, unfortunately. Or at least it did, now that we have upgraded to Xenforo, that may no longer be the case. Still, whenever I'm making long posts, I type them in a text editor just in case something happens, so I don't lose it. I think it's good practice and I recommend everyone do the same.

XF is set to save a draft every 30sec, I believe.

Honestly, it can get annoying to return to a thread after a day or so and have old drafts still there. Believe it or not.

Actually yeah I noticed that I typed a partial reply and then decided not to post it, but didn't delete it, just navigated away. And later I came back to the same thread and my partial reply was still typed into the reply area.

Once made a very very long post in a thread opening up about myself and offering support to some new member in a similar situation. I was just a few lines from finishing when my pc restarted for a major update.

Even before the switch to the new server software, vb was always supposed to periodically save messages as they're being written.

The way it worked is when you go to send a message again, it said at the bottom left if you had previously worked on the message and let you restore it. That feature has saved me from several lost posts. But that was under the old software, I dunno what the situation is now.

It didn't always work though, sometimes it'd fail if the message was written as a reply to a specific user instead of the thread itself. Also I've never tried it with a private message.

Usually now if I'm working on a particularly long post I make a quick copy of it before hitting post. Usually because I have bad luck and have lost a couple posts when bluelight went down for maintainence right when I went to post.