PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Found a mushroom grow operation in the kid's room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathilliana

Greenlighter
We found a grow operation in our son's room. I have one question. Is it dangerous to use magic mushrooms that have been grown in a completely disgusting environment?

Our kid is challenged, and he is going to the psychiatrist in a couple of weeks to see if we can figure out what's going on with him. (He has Asperberger's.)

I just went into his room, which we try to stay out of, because it's so disgusting in there. I was looking for laundry baskets. I found dirty dishes, garbage everywhere, dirty laundry, and a grow operation in a not-hermetically sealed tub.

I have always understood that mushrooms need to be grown in a sterile environment or they were dangerous, if not deadly. Is there any truth to this? I want answers when we confront him.

Any help is appreciated. I tried googling, but couldn't come across anything about the dangers associated with growing them.

Yes the Shroomery which White Rose linked to is the best source of information for mushrooms. That being said, I believe the worst that can happen is that they can mold. Really, the danger of contamination is primarily during innoculation and mycelium growth, if there are already mushrooms, it's fine if they're not moldy.

In any case please do get some further direction as I am no expert.

I did go to the website and was able to get the information. Those are some pretty judgy people over there. Lol... I'm being told we are lousy parents and generally getting attacked. I was called Nixon AND Karl Marx.

But, clean conditions are apparently not required for mushroom growing. I was given bad information. I was told that growing in non-sterile conditions can cause botulism, and that Anthrax was discovered by a bad mushroom grow. This is apparently not the case.

I'm relieved, because our conversation with the kid is going to be much different, now. We're not going to let him have a grow operation in our house, though. That's a hard limit for us.

Yikes that is disappointing for that site, just goes to show that time changes everything as it was once an objective informative site. I won't use Shroomery as a information resource going forward.

But glad that you are going to have a positive conversation with him.

I was given bad information. I was told that growing in non-sterile conditions can cause botulism, and that Anthrax was discovered by a bad mushroom grow. This is apparently not the case.

Wow that's some Reefer Madness-style crap right there!

Bummer that the Shroomery is full of judgmental assholes these days. We take care to dissuade that sort of thing around here. :) As if someone's child doing drugs makes them bad parents... on a drug site, no less.

Growing mushrooms is pretty cool though :), there are much worse things to find as parents.

Maybe if he trips in his room, he'll panic about the messiness and dirtiness, and finally clean it.

Lol! They closed my thread, which is fine with me. We're pretty relieved that he's doing it right. The conversation with him tomorrow will go far better than I was thinking it would when I first found it.

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
This lady came here for some info. All of y'all already know how little the average person understands the growing of mushrooms...
She didn't come here for harsh judgmental shit from people that sound like they also grow in dismal basement dens of their parents place have no jobs never had a kid of their own let alone a developmentally disabled one. Maybe this lady would have had a better talk with her kid about mushrooms but not after the shit show this thread was is my guess. Fucking aye.

take a page from your own books and be less judgemental pricks.

Haha, I like the closing message. =D

Your kid is lucky to have understanding parents who bothered to look into what they found and become informed.

Growing mushrooms is pretty cool though :), there are much worse things to find as parents.

Maybe if he trips in his room, he'll panic about the messiness and dirtiness, and finally clean it.

Well, we are re-thinking letting him grow. Possession is one thing, but what if we get caught having a grow operation? We don't know. We may consider it if he gives concessions, like doing his chores on a regular basis, doing better on keeping the room clean, stuff like that. With a real reward, he may go for it, which would do wonders for his personal growth and development. We're pondering.

Haha, I like the closing message. =D

Your kid is lucky to have understanding parents who bothered to look into what they found and become informed.
Yes, our primary concern was safety, more than the actual activity.

Well, we are re-thinking letting him grow. Possession is one thing, but what if we get caught having a grow operation? We don't know. We may consider it if he gives concessions, like doing his chores on a regular basis, doing better on keeping the room clean, stuff like that. With a real reward, he may go for it, which would do wonders for his personal growth and development. We're pondering.
That'd be very nice. Hope it works out well for all of you. I'd take the deal in a heartbeat ;).

I think possession and cultivation is illegal, though grow kits are legal in some states, but I'm from EU so don't quote me on it. You shouldn't get in trouble, but yeah.. it's still Schedule I..

Yeah you gotta respect your own living quarters.

Just think about it if someone clearly doesn't have a care for their own cleanliness/healthiness. There's some issue there.

How can you expect a person who had no care for "themselves" to care about another humans life. What they are, human.

I dont have mushroom growing advice other than not "Knowling" let someone cultivate/manufacture different plants/substances without understanding what's happening.. cmon.

But yeah lol I'd throw parental guidance towards self respect b4 shrooms. No hate intended.

Dude, what are you saying? It makes no sense at all.
Back when I was younger I was messy as well, my room was a complete disaster, and let me tell you, it had nothing to do with (not) caring about myself or other people.

I can imagine their kid has quite some problems in life, and maybe he doesn't really understand, or doesn't care in general about cleanliness and household chores. He won't suddenly change, but I can imagine his mushrooms are quite valuable to him, both the growing process as well as the emotional impact it can have on him. I have no clue about the whole context, but I think it's very open minded that his parents are even thinking about letting him keep them. And he probably would be just as pleasantly surprised and keen on making some sort of deal.

Maybe in the future there will be a great growing spot in his (fairly clean) room, with heat strips and everything, and you can check on them every now and then, and after a couple weeks it's harvest time... I'm just dreaming out loud ;)

Yeah I grew up to a white mother. Father black. Joined the navy never wrote a letter or sent a check for me. I grew up with a list of shit that I had to deal with. My mother never let my room even be capable of not being seen lmao.

Ya believe it or not I didnt know any who installed deadbolts for their own "reasonings" without ill intent wether warranted or warranted. "

Lmao seriously tho this dude knows how to grow shrooms but cant clean himself and his daily surroundings?

Bruh.... okay let's all be nice and not give real advice. So concious up in here lol

Dude, what are you saying? It makes no sense at all.
Back when I was younger I was messy as well, my room was a complete disaster, and let me tell you, it had nothing to do with (not) caring about myself or other people.

I can imagine their kid has quite some problems in life, and maybe he doesn't really understand, or doesn't care in general about cleanliness and household chores. He won't suddenly change, but I can imagine his mushrooms are quite valuable to him, both the growing process as well as the emotional impact it can have on him. I have no clue about the whole context, but I think it's very open minded that his parents are even thinking about letting him keep them. And he probably would be just as pleasantly surprised and keen on making some sort of deal.

Maybe in the future there will be a great growing spot in his (fairly clean) room, with heat strips and everything, and you can check on them every now and then, and after a couple weeks it's harvest time... I'm just dreaming out loud ;)
We think it's depression combined with severe anxiety. He told his dad that after he took acid for the first time, he spent a lot of time cleaning is room, so there is some benefit, there, if he's telling the truth. We have no way of knowing; the room is a disaster.

Any deal we make with the kid will definitely involve us getting part of the harvest. :)

Yeah I grew up to a white mother. Father black. Joined the navy never wrote a letter or sent a check for me. I grew up with a list of shit that I had to deal with. My mother never let my room even be capable of not being seen lmao.

Ya believe it or not I didnt know any who installed deadbolts for their own "reasonings" without ill intent wether warranted or warranted. "

Lmao seriously tho this dude knows how to grow shrooms but cant clean himself and his daily surroundings?

Bruh.... okay let's all be nice and not give real advice. So concious up in here lol
?
I'm sorry man, but as a non native speaker I have a hard time understanding everything you're saying.
First of all, this is not about you, raising a kid is hard, especially if he has Aspergers. Secondly, we have no idea about the context, it's easy for you to say "just clean your room lol". Thirdly, I just thought having a positive conversation about the whole situation with their son was a very good idea instead of probably worsening their relationship, if I ever had found myself in a similar situation, I know I would've appreciated it a lot.
I provided my viewpoint, as I was a difficult young man once too :).
I just find it's quite unnecessary to almost insult the kid, and imply they're bad parents (which they certainly don't seem to be), when you just have the one post to base that on. It has nothing to do with being nice, no need to be so judgemental.

We think it's depression combined with severe anxiety. He told his dad that after he took acid for the first time, he spent a lot of time cleaning is room, so there is some benefit, there, if he's telling the truth. We have no way of knowing; the room is a disaster.

Any deal we make with the kid will definitely involve us getting part of the harvest. :)
Haha, this guy... acid, shrooms =D
I wish you all the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.