• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can cannabis (marijuana) be used for treating IBS?

Marijuana isn't used to "treat" anything. I can be used to manage pain and alleviate SOME symptoms for SOME conditions but it does NOT treat. it can be used to make life more tolerable while you're getting proper treatment. Please do not use it instead of the proper medication for your condition. It won't go well.

I'm all for smoking weed. It can help with a lot of things and it's a lot of fun but it's not the miracle drug that some people want to believe. Please see your doctor for your condition.

IBS is a whole bunch of different issues related to pro & pre-biotic problems. A lot of people suffer from inability to digest certain sugars or complex carbohydrates properly.

Weed does not help at all with digestion issues that are biological.

However, if your immune system is not working at full strength weed may help.

See your doctor, they are your best source for medical advice regarding your body. Be certain your doctor is aware of what weed does in your body, some doctors really don't know. Getting a prescription for weed for IBS may be a stretch. Better eating habits are often a cure starting with increased water intake.

yes i will concern with a doctor, but i read many post about treating ibs by marijuana, and i didn't get the right answer. so i am asking

IBS is a whole bunch of different issues related to pro & pre-biotic problems. A lot of people suffer from inability to digest certain sugars or complex carbohydrates properly.

See your doctor, they are your best source for medical advice regarding your body. Be certain your doctor is aware of what weed does in your body, some doctors really don't know. Getting a prescription for weed for IBS may be a stretch. Better eating habits are often a cure starting with increased water intake.

yes i know marijuana is best for inflammatory pain, also for immune system they work well.

Can I just ask, where are you getting your information from?
IBS is that specific, is it?
Weed may work 'if your immune system is not working at full strength'?
Sorry but that last one really is ridiculous.
As far as I know, weed isn't so great at TREATING any autoimmune or immune related diseases.
I have Crohns disease and as such I read and follow every study I can. I know a thing or two about the subject. My information seems to confluct with yours.
So yeah, can you give us some sources for both of these claims you make?
I'm genuinely interested to learn. :)

I work in the food industry as a food chemist. I worked for 4 years in the marijuana edibles industry and still do a lot of work with companies setting up production plants.

I currently work for 2 companies one is specifically anti alergy food production (gluten free, organic etc.). We work specifically on people who are not digesting wheat correctly or who are truly celiac. We produce and cultivate bacteria and enzymes for use in food to assist people with compromised digestive systems.

Most people who have digestion issues don't truly have spastic colons, which may be the original meaning behind IBS. Now people with reoccurring tummy aches are being added to spastic colon people but weed won't help with digestion issues.

Weed and your immune system is pretty well documented everywhere so I'll let you go look up stuff on your own. Since your intellect rates it as "ridiculous" you are probably missing a lot of basic chemical understanding of what goes on in your brain. Study a bit and if you find a real question I'm happy to answer. 30 years in the field means it's difficult to know where to start for each individual when they don't understand things. I'm not gonna bother addressing this disbelief you have except a general description below.

The increase in dopamine in your brain from having small amounts of THC in your blood is a medical milestone. Your immune system uses dopamine in the same way all neural connections do. Increasing dopamine in your brain specifically after middle age is what is needed by a million seniors slowly dying everywhere. Being able to handle the mental stimulus of increased dopamine while allowing your body to heal isn't easy for everyone. Some people experience anxiety and paranoia and it may be challenging to get past those to find an effective dose.

I'm not a fan of smoking weed, it get people high for a very short period and the dopamine increase is minimal. Very low dose edibles are preferable for dopamine creation. In this I speak from experience I have been using marijuana for 6 years as an edible daily. It has helped me fix my life.

I am the source of my own claims. You can disagree with me I'm not gonna be offended in the least.

Marijuana isn't used to "treat" anything. I can be used to manage pain and alleviate SOME symptoms for SOME conditions but it does NOT treat. it can be used to make life more tolerable while you're getting proper treatment. Please do not use it instead of the proper medication for your condition. It won't go well.

I'm all for smoking weed. It can help with a lot of things and it's a lot of fun but it's not the miracle drug that some people want to believe. Please see your doctor for your condition.

Marijuana treats epilepsy.

You are the source of your own claims.
You've already given two different theories on IBS in two different posts. None too accurate from what I can tell. You have no citations?
My intellect does find incredulous theories ridiculous, which isn't something I'm ashamed of.
The food industry. 30 years, 50 years, you're not a scientist sir! What I'm saying is - you aren't the expert you seem to believe. This much is evidenced by your comments.
I know there are some studies showing immune responses with cannabinoids but you are making a huge leap with your apparent conclusions on this! That is what my intellect deems ridiculous. There is no case of cannabis treating or curing any immune disease from Psoriasis to Crohn's. You are speaking of some miracle that does not exist.
That is why citations can be useful. There is no room for a self-referential armchair scientist in the area of factual discussion, right?
When you provide something to back up your claims; for what IBS is caused by ; for what miraculous effects cannabis has on immunity and immune diseases, then I could really take you seriously and maybe even learn something. You seem to have painted me as a dyed-in-the-wool sceptic who will not be moved. A portrait which could not be further from the truth.
Until citations are forthcoming, we probably have no further discussion here.

Marijuana treats epilepsy.
Marijuana treats one rare type of epilepsy most commonly seen in children. Your framing of the statement is far too broad.
I love to hear of cannabis helping people but, as S-dog implied, there is an epidemic of bullshit claims for 'medical' marijuana. Most conditions it is used for it simply has no effect on! The placebo effect is most certainly what is in play there. A useful and valid effect but it doesn't mean the taken placebo has actual medical efficacy.
If I had a penny for every time someone told me how their weed smoking really helps their illness/condition, I'd be a rich man. Strangely, almost all of these people were actually ill and were STILL actually ill, despite them being a user of the drug they claimed 'really helped'. Yes, it probably helped them to deal with it, but that isn't what they claimed. Most claimed actual effects on the pathology of disease. Obviously if that were true there would have been a reduction or lack of symptoms. There never was, in my (anecdotal) experience as a twenty year smoker, eater and vaper of all forms of cannabis and living and breathing the cannabis world.
People definitely convince themselves that their use of cannabis helps their disease. I did too. I don't any longer. I know that cannabis does not reduce inflammation in Crohn's. It rarely helps the symptoms. I've known people claim the opposite, even say it cured them. Then they try to hide the fact they are still taking hydrocortisone and in some cases, going to hospital for further surgery (as is common in Crohn's) !
Yes people do like to associate their cannabis use with their poor health it would seem.
It is now my belief that cessation of cannabis is most likely most helpful to people in disease. Coping mechanisms seem to be stronger when the mind is clear of cannabinoids.

Unfortunately, that's not true (for that first part). Marijuana can and does treat seizures as a whole (not just that rare form of epilepsy). Does it work for everyone? No, it doesn't. Just like any other medicine out there ... Ie. Keppra or Vimpat will work for me, but for some people it doesn't. Marijuana isnt a 'cure all' like you said, but it does treat SOME things. I was diagnosed with two different types of seizures... Complex Partial Seizures and Generalized Seizures (grand mal) and marijuana stops everything (even when I'm not taking my medicine, just that alone). Seizures are the result of bursts of abnormal/excessive electrical activity in the brain. The CBD/THC (as well as other 'ingredients') in marijuana acts as a neuroprotectant reducing inflammation, and it also reduces the abnormal/excessive electrical activity in the brain as well... helping decrease, or completely stopping seizures altogether. Myself and a lot of other people I know (who have various types of seizure disorders) have stopped taking their prescription medicine altogether because of marijuana and are only taking that (nothing else).

I can go further into detail on how marijuana actually treats seizures if you'd like. I simply cut that out this time due to time constraints.

Like I said before, I do agree with you thats its not a "cure all" but it treats some things.

Last edited:
Gimmethat you are more then welcome to believe anything you like. I simply say what is apparent and correct if you'd like to go disprove it feel free to post citations of anything disproving anything I've said. Doing the research will lead you to learning and that's never a bad thing.

I'm first to say never ever trust what you read. Always do research and find a point of understanding. When you do this, you won't be nearly as worried about what other people think.

I've don't a lifetime of study, your opinion of me of my beliefs is neither offensive nor of any concern to me,

Today I make a good living off the current food lie that gluten is bad for you. I can cit many studies that seem to say it's true and the company I work for probably publishes snippets all over our packaging etc but truth is not what is being promoted.

You can study yourself into a dead end where it seems someone must be lying regarding gluten but truth is easy to see if you understand the chemistry of what is actually happening in the human digestive system.

Simple truth is it's not gluten unless you are the 1 in 130 people that is born celiac. Less then 1% of our population can't eat gluten the rest that get wheat belly etc are reacting to a complex carbohydrate that is not being eaten by the yeast prior to consumption. Commercial yeast vs sourdough and natural slow fermentation is actually the whole gluten misstruth. For people who are eating gluten free that are not celiac switching from commercial yeast raised breads to slow overnight natural fermentation will completely eliminate the reaction to wheat. It's not gluten causing the issue and never has been, but I'm making money off the fear because gluten free pays better despite killing off the population with ingredients that will lead straight to diabetes.

For a hint look up the new Yorkers article called the truth about gluten then find the studies done that have been cited all over the place showing gluten as bad. Just because there was a study and it got tons of citations it means nothing at all. If you follow the lead on the original study (that changed a million people's diets) you'll understand his study was being cited to prove something he repeatedly said was incorrect. Getting citation doesn't mean anything unless the studies are accurate. Right now just like the myths around gluten marijuana is being misrepresented. Study yourself and learn it's probably the simplest solutions to your problem,

Anecdotal evidence incoming:
I have one friend with IBS whose prescribed cannabis use manages ~90% of his symptoms. It definitely won't CURE the disease, but it is a very effective bandaid TREATMENT. It allows him to live a mostly productive and normal life in a way that traditional medications did not.

Hey Chris, if that's your experience - and i know it has very good effects on the seizure threshold and so it makes sense - then I apologise. I stand corrected.
I'm glad you are able to use it with such benefit and all the others in similar situation!

Hey Chris, if that's your experience - and i know it has very good effects on the seizure threshold and so it makes sense - then I apologise. I stand corrected.
I'm glad you are able to use it with such benefit and all the others in similar situation!

You're fine brotha, and thank you. :)

Nah... It just makes it worse ime especially since smoking can make you wanna go even more quite counterproductive.. I suffer from ibd a lot because of my crohns disease which I get codeine for and codeine is exactly what I want somethint direct that goes straight to the source

when you have had diareah, black tarry stools and blood that dont shock you cus your so used to it you really learn to appreciate what a drug like codeine can do for you and once thats kicked in maybe I can smoke a bit of weed ?

Btw lopermide is great for ibd and is an opioid like codeine the garage down the road probably sells it although i look for better, value, its the next best thing other than codeine and who knows you might feel really good if your lucky, but if its taken at high doses it can really mess up your heart im just saying this because I have suffered years on the toilet and anyone else going through this I feel for them but their are solutions just medication not weed.