• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mixing Muscle Relaxers And Opioids

Bloodborne1

Bluelighter
I have Tizanidine from a recent ED visit. I was wondering about how mixing these with hydrocodone would go since I take this daily for health issues. What is the appropriate time for dosing? Should both be taken together? Should one be twnen a certain length of time before the time other? What? kind of response should I anticipate by taking these together rather than separately? Thank you

What doses of each drug? I've combined them many times safely at moderate to high doses, but caution is certainly advised, especially at higher doses. I usually take my opiates during the day & my tizanidine right at bed time, when I'm essentially 'coming down' from my opiates & don't have as much of them in my system. This works best since tizanidine is sedating, anyway. What did the ED recommend?

They just stated to not take together. The MR is only 2mg but ordered three times a day.

I was prescribed tizanidine over the summer after surgery at 4 mg three times a day. I was also taking oxycodone and gabapentin. I found it very hard to stay awake and bad dry mouth. If you do take them with your hydro, don't go over the prescribed dose and don't plan to go anywhere. Chances are you will get real sleepy.

How much hydrocodone? I've never taken that much tizanidine that often (only 2mg occasionally at night), let alone 3x a day.

I take about 60-70 mg of oxy a day and the occasional 2 - 4 tizanidine at night for pain management and I space my pain med and muscle relaxer out by like an hour or 2 and generally don?t take more than 10-20 of oxycodone per dose depending on severity of pain. 3 times a day would honestly be very sedating.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TRY THE COMBINATION I TOOK FOR ANY REASON AND IT IS STUPID TO DO SO!!
Now that that's out of the way....to the info!!! To begin, i am prescribed all 3 of the meds i will discuss, and aside from the Tizanadine (Zanaflex) which I've only gotten for the past 4-5 months(RXd 2mg, thrice/day) i have taken the Roxicodone and Clonazepam for over 5 years and have built up a nice tolerance. I also am very comfortable with how each of these drugs effects me on it's own and mixed with other drugs at various dosages. (Basically, i have had plenty of time and supply to SAFELY try different scenarios over time...)
Last week, around 4:00pm, I personally took 10mg Tizanadine, ~40-50mg Roxicodone AND 4mg Clonazepam at the same time aware of how the 3 meds would be staggered as they hit me due to how fast/slow they take effect (in order for me PERSONALLY, 1st-3rd::: 1st: Oxycodone, ~30 minutes. 2nd: Tizanadine, ~45-60 minutes. 3rd: Klonopin, ~70-90 minutes.) and also made sure my GF would be staying the entire night incase of any breathing issues that could arise. This is very important, all 3 of these medicines can retard your breathing and heart rate!!!! As stated i have a high tolerance to these medications and didn't expect to be knocked out or blown away by anything, but i was surprised by a nice mild opioid euphoria at the start, and when that barely began to fade the relaxation and sedation of the Tizanadine began which combined with the benzodiazepine `feel` about an hour later and that was enough for me to be satisfied until I fell asleep around 1:30-2:00am.
I have noticed any dose of Tizanadine larger than 8mg (even by itself) will give me the feeling of being drunk, but only when I attempted to talk, walk, interact with the world in any way other than simply watch TV. That's what i have noticed with these, please be safe and please stay alive!!!

As long as you're taking them as prescribed and not for recreational use, you should be fine taking both together. The main thing you need to watch out for is respiratory depression, if taken in high doses (for either of them). I have never had a problem taking either together, even in high doses (even though 'high' is subjective).

Like I said before, if you take them as prescribed, you should be fine. You'll feel relaxed, calm and have some euphoria. They might make you sleepy as well.