• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Starting suboxone and moving

Sasquatchjezus

Greenlighter
Hi all,
I would like to apologize if this thread in the wrong place or if I violate any guidelines in advance.
I have decided to try and get into a suboxone program or find a dr, the problem is that I am moving in two weeks to a different state. Currently I am in Vermont, moving to hawaii to a friend's place. I have a few questions I would like to hear other's opinions on
1) Should I begin using suboxone before getting into treatment? Or continue using other opiates until finding one? Currently using hydromorphone daily (insufflated and iv), and I am thinking of making the switch to unprescribed suboxone as it is much more affordable, not to mention probably safer. My concern with making the preemptive transition is that the professionals may assume I am abusing suboxone (although I have done so stupidly in the past, I would actually like to try it out as a maintenence med).
2) Would it be a better idea to get into a clinic or getting a prescription before or after moving? I imagine a clinic would want one to stay in an area for stability reasons, however I could be wrong. I also understand this probably varies greatly between states and different docs.
I have never been to a clinic before but would like to better my life and make some changes starting with recovery. Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated, I have a great deal of respect for bl itself as it has saved my life in the past, and again sorry if this isn't the proper location or format for the site, I am fairly new to posting.
Thanks again,
-Sasquatch

Your making a really good decision to get on Suboxone. It's saved my life.

The sooner you make the transition the better. Even getting it illicitly is far safer then your current use. I've never heard of a Suboxone doctor turning anyone away who inducted themselves from illicit sources. It's virtually impossible to abuse Suboxone anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

The one thing I will say about Suboxone is the dose most doctors prescribe is way too high. I would try not to go over 8mg a day. It will make the side effects far more tolerable.

Your making a really good decision to get on Suboxone. It's saved my life.

The sooner you make the transition the better. Even getting it illicitly is far safer then your current use. I've never heard of a Suboxone doctor turning anyone away who inducted themselves from illicit sources. It's virtually impossible to abuse Suboxone anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

The one thing I will say about Suboxone is the dose most doctors prescribe is way too high. I would try not to go over 8mg a day. It will make the side effects far more tolerable.
Thanks for the advice cj. I can agree that suboxone saved my life as well. I've been prescribed since April, I've had my slips, but nothing major mainly benzodiazepines and occasionally cocaine, but currently done with both. Now I get subutex (had a sensitivity to naloxone), pregabalin (nerve pain), and armodafinil (ADHD). I adhere to advice from my doctors, and take as little medication as possible as not to get high because that's not my intent.

Any advice as far as cravings go? Usually I just smoke a cigarette, I quit smoking weed, but have been thinking of quitting lately not sure yet though. If there's anything specific anybody does to reduce cravings that'd help with stress a lot. Thanks again very grateful for any advice as always.

I smoke pot. Alot of pot honestly. Im a few years past heroin so in retrospect the best thing for cravings is time. Even your slips will make you crave less because the bupe negates some of the addictive reinforcement of the heroin