Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Driving another nail into the coffin

losthippy

Bluelighter
WA is set to jack up its roadside drug-testing to truly draconian levels, so I'm wondering whether or not people are feeling the heat across the rest of the country. Bad enough that, unlike alcohol, there is still no definitive measure of sobriety for the drugs they test for. Who cares? All drugs are the same, right? If its in your system at all, you're screwed in so many mongrel ways. Never saw these problems in Canada or parts of the US and Europe last time I visited. All was calm and sensible there. Hats off to those fighting for drug reform here in Oz, but how do they plan to mitigate the reality of these laws when so many people drive? It seems like an ambush hiding in plain sight. I won't ramble on, but anyone interested can refer to a similar thread I started 5 years ago (minus the driving laws bit) that ended up being a hot potato no-one wanted to handle. The consequences of getting caught are still profound but the odds against not being pulled over and tested have narrowed considerably. So, if you are dependent on driving but still dabble or indulge, how are you dealing with it? Are you worried every time you get behind the wheel? Have you modified your 'recreational pursuits' or just caved-in and quit altogether? Have a say, if you have any thoughts. Stay safe.

I?d have to say lighting up my daily greenery has been put back to later in the day. I live rural so I?m stuck without a car.

I have been drug tested once, luckily had nothing that day. But smoked a bundle the night before.

It really sucks with insomnia, I usually wake for some green 2-3 times a night. If I woke around 4, smoked, went back to to bed for a couple hours then headed to work and got tested I?d be fucked. What?s funny is they prescribe it in other country?s for insomnia. Go figure.

Amphets are out the game game now along with MDxx recently, so I?m never having to concern myself with those ones, except after the odd blue moon episode where some old mate shows up.

I do know now an older bloke who?s basically preserved on green. This fella had his morning 4 joints, went for a drive straight after, locals had arranged a highway patrol to drug test him (he?s well known in the area for being a greenman, this includes the local PO.
They swabbed him three times with no positive reading, due to them believing he was under the influence took him in for a blood test. The bloke has some med issue relating to cancer and takes meds also for this. So he denied all blood tests till they speak with his doc. Was late arvo so there was no way they could get hold of his quack. And they had zero reason to hold him. So on his way. Dicks didn?t even drive him home.
He was pissed with the whole ordeal, but I mean really, he broke the test somehow.

To determine someone?s future, using fantasy technology doesn?t make sense to me. Fuck loosing your licence because the test decided to be less forgiving than usual...

Gotta make a machine to replace everything these days for our amazing race....ya know..... so when machines do everything we can all spend our days snorting some super drug that lets us live to 400 (as well as enjoying the feeling of a genre of drug that is your DOC).

But wait. These fucking machines better actually work. Not like that fancy mouth swab that?s ever so accurate.........

Last edited:
I've actually never been drug tested when driving, booze bussed multiple times of course. Actually seems uncommon in Victoria, I don't know anyone who has been swabbed.

I hear that drug testing is SOP after a person has blown a positive booze result (not necessarily intoxication though). Be careful out there folks! <3

^ that is true. Blow a slightly over alcohol and get drug tested.

In Melbourne that is.

In Melbourne at RBT's (major ones when the bus is there) it's almost always just doing RBT (even though all the buses have drug written on them)

The tests are extreamly expensive and will usually only be used during specific targeted operations which they run every so often. All these things are budgeted (wages cost, drug tests cost ect) and the choice too drug test or not is profiled.

When geting pulled over it's very very unlikely to get drug swabbed unless you are clearly off your face. The tests are to expensive and the uniforms on patrol will get in trouble if they keep wasting drug swabs from testing people randomly.

Its the fear they get you with. The 'what if'. That said, I strongly discourage smoking weed and driving- of course, I have done it, but its usually a hellish journey. I'd rather wait until I get there. Of course, if I smoked last night and get tested, I will probably show as positive despite not being high. Draconian shit.

Andy said:
The tests are to expensive and the uniforms on patrol will get in trouble if they keep wasting drug swabs from testing people randomly.

Unlike the pressure put on these officers to waste a ridiculous amount of breath tests :|

True swilow. The good old 10cent disposable plastic tube

When geting pulled over it's very very unlikely to get drug swabbed unless you are clearly off your face. The tests are to expensive and the uniforms on patrol will get in trouble if they keep wasting drug swabs from testing people randomly.

Don't the swabs produce a test result right there and then? For some reason I'm under the impression that the process is relatively straight forward. I'm not really sure where I got that from. Maybe some cop show I watched.

Don't the swabs produce a test result right there and then? For some reason I'm under the impression that the process is relatively straight forward. I'm not really sure where I got that from. Maybe some cop show I watched.

They take 5 minutes to show results. They are expensive per unit cost

The roadside test is presumptive and, if positive, requires further tests/analysis to verify the result. Whatever happens then is down to the prescribed penalties.

^These tests may be expensive, but what does it matter if there is budget allocated to buy the damned things... which there is. It's all about the intention.

PS. Just read today that NSW is set to suspend drivers' licenses instantly for 3 months (minimum) if ANY alcohol or illicit substance is detected in a driver's sample. I wonder if this will also apply to medicinal cannabis?

PS. Just read today that NSW is set to suspend drivers' licenses instantly for 3 months (minimum) if ANY alcohol or illicit substance is detected in a driver's sample

Wait, do you mean every driver could be penalised for simply having a tiny amount of alcohol detected?

Absolute zero is a contentious number and a bold target to pursue, but that seems to be aim. There was no mention of lowering the existing limit. Policing such a ridiculous law seems totally stupid, but LE do as their masters bid. Can’t wait to see the pollies try to sell this to the voters.

The roadside test is presumptive and, if positive, requires further tests/analysis to verify the result. Whatever happens then is down to the prescribed penalties.

^These tests may be expensive, but what does it matter if there is budget allocated to buy the damned things... which there is. It's all about the intention.

PS. Just read today that NSW is set to suspend drivers' licenses instantly for 3 months (minimum) if ANY alcohol or illicit substance is detected in a driver's sample. I wonder if this will also apply to medicinal cannabis?

Indeed there's a budget for them. And due to the item cost per sample this adds to the reason of them not being pissed away on any and every Tom Dick and Harry.

That is CRAZY I am shocked. 0 for full licence holders? That will be a first in any modern western country as far as I know!

Wait,, what do you mean?? I'm confused.. They stop cars and do a breathalyzer test for alcohol and test for what else? And HOW are they testing??? I'm in the USA and have NEVER heard of the cops doing this!!! It's against our constitution,, they can't stop you unless there is reason,, like you know.. Running a light or speeding.. Stuff like that.. Sorry for the double commas and periods.. This stupid kindle won't stop doing it.. Ok God bless you down under.. Trish

I'm from NSW and never been drug tested yet. Been lucky when I been smoking just before driving and just got tested for booze.
But now if I do smoke I give it a day before I jump into the car again since cops in NSW are becoming heavy with the drug tests.

Wait,, what do you mean?? I'm confused.. They stop cars and do a breathalyzer test for alcohol and test for what else? And HOW are they testing??? I'm in the USA and have NEVER heard of the cops doing this!!! It's against our constitution,, they can't stop you unless there is reason,, like you know.. Running a light or speeding.. Stuff like that.. Sorry for the double commas and periods.. This stupid kindle won't stop doing it.. Ok God bless you down under.. Trish

Yes here in Australia an RBT is exactly that. A Random Breath Test. Cops can do one at any random stop, which they can do to check licence and registration. No prior reason required.

Often we also have spots set up road side where large volumes of drivers are stopped and tested. We must blow under .05

Drug tests are rarely done due to the expense mentioned. These are an initial drag across the tongue test that detectects meth or cannabis. These can also be done when ever they want. If positive another test is done back at the station or in the Booze Bus which is set up at the big road side stops.

I personally have no issue with random stops. Police cars can instantly scan vechile number plates while driving in large volumes. If some unregistered vehicle pops up, they would most likely stop them. They would also be doing a quick search to see who owns that vehicle and if they have prior convictions. I am glad they can then pull serial drink or drugged drivers off our roads.

I'm a UK resident and here we have an increasing issue with people losing licenses after being drug-swiped and testing positive even though they have not smoked in over 24 hours.

The tests here can be carried out randomly, exact same as for drink-driving. To be honest I have no issue with people driving while wasted having their licenses taken away. I do however have a fucking major issue with people getting convicted for driving completely sober who have happened to have consumed some weed the previous day, madness

^And here is the nub of it. Of course, if someone is bent and jumps behind the wheel then they do pose a risk to themselves and anyone else using the same road. That's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, 'driving completely sober' and having 'consumed some weed the previous day' are two totally opposite values according to Australian legislators. There is no measure of sobriety to apply, nor is there a will to develop one. A positive test is just that, so down you go according to the tenets of existing Federal laws. And what makes it all the more absurd is murmurs in the ACT about legalizing cannabis there for personal use. The presumption here must be that it will only work if users undertake not to operate cars/bikes/boats/horses until THC can't be detected using whatever device LE want to test them with. Otherwise, public transport and footpaths are going to cop a hammering.

I had taken a line of 50mg or so of n-ethylhexedrone about an hour before a drive, and had been doing that for the last day or so every few hours. Standard NSW tongue swab came back clean. I hate dangerous drivers' though in that state I was fully functional. THe stuff (and other cathinones likely) can show up in more advanced tests (etc hospital ones) as an unspecified amphetamine like substance.

I reckon if there's money cleared in your account, you should yield a drug test. maybe see if you're eligible to claim through private healthcare etc if not positive result. Saves the police having to pool their resources for this. it would be the polite thing if cars did not start without a drug free test, but then there's no fault in going bald. hard to tell whose lap it rests in.