• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut not working for me

lostjudgement

Greenlighter
Hello all

Been a long time lurker and made an account to hopefully get some insight on phenibut... more so why it is not working for me.
I have searched around and I know some other people have stated that it just does not work for them and I'm bummed i'm one of those people. I guess I wonder if it will just never work for me or is there something I can try to do?

I was not expecting pheni to be some euphoric high at all. What I personally wanted out of it was less anxiety and more talking. I had intended on using it only when I was going to be in situations that required me to speak more... like my presentations for classes, my volunteer place, and stuff like that. Didn't plan on taking it a lot... maybe once every few weeks. Basically, I'd like to get across that I did not have wild expectations on phenibut being some crazy high at all. Also, I was not taking it in hopes that it would help with withdrawals from anything because well, I am not withdrawing from anything.

I'm not too "gaba-savvy." I don't know a lot about gaba b receptors/ a receptors. I have to admit, a lot of that goes over my head though I tried to become familiar with it.
I have taken gabapentin and felt that for sure, but I realized that gabapentin has nothing to do with the gaba receptors so that was my own misconception. I remember thinking "why did I feel gaba but not phenibut" well... totally not related I found out.

I bought some phenibut capsules from an online vendor that also sells Kratom I enjoy. I bought from there because I was comfortable with their shipping and I liked their kratom so I wanted to try their phenibut.
Each capsule contains 500mg.

First time I took pheni I took 1 capsule. I took it around 3pm (not the best time to take it but I wanted to try it on a class day where I would be around other people and it delivered on this day around 2pm) I hadn't eaten about 2 hours prior to 3pm. and I did not eat something until around 5:30pm, a granola bar. Did not want my stomach growling for class. My class started at 6. I felt awful. I felt groggy and irritated. I was not in a talkative mood at all. I'm usually attentive but I was out of it. Sleepy and irritable. Just wanted to go home.

I waited a few days to try a higher dose.
So, this time I took 2 pills (1g) when I woke up around 10am. Didn't eat until 12pm. Around 2pm I, noted the time and felt nothing. Kinda felt... again, just slightly sleepy. But, I was not at all wanting to talk. I took another pill. 1.5g in total. and around 7pm... nothing. I slept like a brick though.

Haven't tried it since. Its only been a few days since my second try. The day after my second try I felt so depressed. I mean, I was weeping in the shower and felt so sluggish and weak. But, I am not sure if it's the phenibut.. I have been dealing and seeking out treatment for my depression but I am not currently on any medication. So, I feel like it worsened my depression. I was tired too... and I didn't want to feel so sleepy.

This was just a disaster of an experience. I trust the vendor I got the pills from - but I know that it could have been a bad batch. I plan on trying 1 more time a few weeks from now, but would like some advice.

Has anyone tried phenibut with no effects? Have you tried again with effects? Or have you taken it with something to reach desired effects? Sorry, I should note that I did drink coffee (coffee doesn't work for me honestly.... gosh... nothing seems to work for me). I drank some anyway to see if it can maybe help though, with the sleepiness. It did not. I know not to take pheni more than twice a week... some people say only take it once a week. The second time I tried it I did it because I wanted to see if I can feel anything after a second try and well... i felt some severe sadness and sleepiness that's for sure. But, like I said I'm not trying this stuff again until a few weeks pass.

Darn, I just wanted slightly less anixety and all I got was a sad n sleepy pill out of it. :(

Sounds like you simply built up a tolerance to it. I’ve used one I but in the past, and I was amazed at how quickly I had to up my dosage by 3-6x to make it effective. Word on the web is that you shouldn’t use it more than once a week because of the rapid tolerance you build.

Remember that Phenibut is a CNS depressant. It works on your GABA receptors, like benzos and alcohol. If you’re suffering from depression, it’s generally a good idea to stay away from all depressants. They’ll make depression and anxiety worse in the long run, and exasperate your problems.

Please see a doctor and a therapist, get proper medical help, and stay away from those depressants.

I never felt anything on it though. The first time. I mean I know tolerance can still be built but I never felt anything to even indicate if I was dosing too little or too high. It was never effective for me is what I am saying. I understand that someone people go from 500mg to 1g all the way up to 3g but I haven't felt anything on it.

Yeah, I rarely drink and have never taken any kind of benzo's before. Phenibut was just something I wanted for certain situations is all.
And thank you. I am seeing a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist soon.

Last edited:
It's a very subtle drug. And I didn't feel anything my first several times but I think there is a kindling effect the more you do it. Takes hours to kick in. Horrible hangover too

that's what I've read, that its so subtle you might not notice it. my issue was I felt awful on it. I wanted to just go home and I did not want to interact.

Yeah I wonder if it takes a few tries. But, I don't think I want to try again lol. At least not anytime soon. I was just curious if anyone had to keep trying throughout a span of time because if some people have I might be more inclined but from all that I read it either works or doesn't.

It actually does share at least one thing in common with Gabapentin, VDCC's or voltage dependent calcium channels. Phenibut has a higher affinity for VDCC's than GABA-B, and only effects GABA-A in high doses, but I also agree that some people get the "magic" out of it and others don't. When I first got mine the 250mg measuring spoon fell out of the envelope and I didn't see it. I eyeballed around 1 + 1/2 grams for my first dose which caused me to sleep for 18 hours with a nasty, ear ringing hangover with no appreciable desirable effects. But some folks love it so go figure, different strokes for different folks.

Phenibut tolerance builds very quickly (luckily it also goes away quickly) + a recreational dose is around 3g.

Try waiting a week and taking 3g in one go.

When your tolerance is low again and you want to try it again then do it in the morning on an empty stomach with a cup of coffee shortly after it, works for me :)

I think people are ascribing too much to your ?tolerance.? You didn?t feel anything because you took a sub-recreational dose.

In addition, the initial dose necessary to get effects is highly variable. While a few people may get full effects from 1.5 g, just as many will need 5.

3 or 3.5 g is a standard recreational dose for a non-tolerant person.

I was very excited to try phenibut because I really liked gabapentin but I don?t think it has as much VDCC activity as I was expecting. Definitely primarily gaba b.

Overall, there?s a reason phenibut is legal, it?s not dangerous and not especially recreational. To get good effects I?d have to wade through a bunch of side effects.

The idea that it can be used as a ?tool? to ?enhance life? is dumb. It?s a drug, and an inferior one compared to gabapentin (or ghb, or baclofen or benzos?I haven?t had the chance to try lyrica but I assume that same holds true).