• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tramadol for Opiate Tapering?

Sunsoda

Greenlighter
I've decided to get off pain meds for chronic pain. I'm tired of the whole pain management process. I want to try more natural approaches... cbd, kratom, etc.. I've tapered off Oxymorphone after being in them for 6years. I now have 30 vicodin to taper slowly. I also have about 100 tramadol. I'm hoping they will help me get all the way off opiates. I don't want to wind up withdrawing from the tramadol. Think I can taper them in a manner that I can avoid difficult withdrawal? Any advice is appreciated!

Suns -

How much oxymophone were you taking when you started your taper? When you say you have the comfort meds, does that mean your off the oxymorohone entirely? Depending on your taper and how slow it was, the Vicodin and Tramadol might not be necessary.

How are are you feeling now?

Wekcome to Sober Living! Best of luck getting out of the pain management process.

- VE

Just keep cutting your dose as much as you can stand. You've already mitigated some of the pain

Sun -

you will get there, try and be patient. Congrats on being without the oxymorphone for three days! That’s a huge accomplishment in and of itself.

Cj is spot on, just take as little as you can and space out your doses as much as you can. Keep coming back and let us know how it goes!

- VE

Going well guys! I tapered of the oxymorphone and the vicodin. I'm taking tramadol as needed. Psych gave me lorazepam which is helping tremendously. That and lots of herb. I have to say I'm feeling pretty good! Detox symptoms are coming but slowly. Totally doable!

Glad to hear! Yeah benzos can make a world of positive difference

That is great news, Sun!

When you say that the detox symptoms are slowly coming, what are you feeling specifically? How long off the Vics/oxy? What?s the taper plan with the tramadol?

Sorry for all of the questions, I have never seen anyon detox this way and am very curious how it goes.

Best of luck!

- VE

Hey VE

When I say slow withdrawal... what I feel is that my body temperature has really changed... I'm a lot cooler but no crazy painful chills. My bowels are getting back to normal but no imodium needed. I'm queasy but not overwhelmingly so. I only took about 30 vicodin total over 4 days. I'm taking 50mg tramadol 2-3 day now, gonna change to 2 next week, 1 the following week, then hopefully be done with all of it. It feels really doable. Better than any withdrawal I've dealt with before!

Basically my advice is to use the tramadol on like the end of day 2 or somewhere in day 3. Use it to fix the headache and get yourself some tiny bit of sleep. Then maybe one more tramadol dosage very late the next day and that is it. Sounds sort of like I don't know what I mean but you can get all of your old self back from the oxy and vics but if you are on the tramadol for very long it can be extremely difficult to get yourself back to feeling 100. Some will argue, that is fine, tramadol is completely synthetic so just keep that in mind. Also it would take like 8 of them to get to where you were feeling on actual pain med (which we don't realise naturally that we are doing that, trying to feel completely normal) maybe more depending on person. Your best bet is to cut down the dosage of pain meds by almost half everyday. Yes it will suck a lot but it's better than the withdrawal symptoms if you go cold turkey. Titration (cutting back) hurts, it's supposed to, but it is WAY better than cold turkey and please be careful with the tramadol.

Thanks. I am actually 36 hours without ANY meds. Withdrawal is minimal. I didn't sleep great last night but no rls or need for hot baths. No bowel issues surprisingly. I mostly feel weak and depressed. No pep in my step. How long until I feel semi functional ya think? Or at least have some energy?

I always get depressed when running out of my opioid prescriptions (happened the last 3 months) and that first day is always the most emotional for me. Are you taking the kratom? It'll help a lot through the withdrawal! Best wishes :)

5 days free! Feel okay, not great. Trying to move around. I get stuck in bed during detox if I don't force myself to get up and do something. I'm really trying!!!

I’m in the exact same situation, glad I found this thread.

I am on day 2 coming off a 200-300 mg per day Oxy habit. (I was clean for 6 months then just relapsed for 1 month so withdrawal isn’t as bad as it was the first time but it still sucks)

Anyways, I just got my hands on 50 x 37.5mg tramadol.

I’m going to use these onlynas needed, but when I DO end up needing them, how much should I take?