• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Avoiding MDMA interaction with Moclobemide (MAOI)

lifewithoutfilter

Greenlighter
I'm currently taking 300mg Moclobemide (a reversible MAO-A inhibitor) 2x daily, and am planning to roll on MDMA during an upcoming concert.

Having done my research, I understand that this can be a deadly combination. I'm also not looking for the experience that people who intentionally combine Moclobemide with MDMA are looking for. I don't want a more psychedelic and longer-lasting trip, I just want to increase my enjoyment of music for 3-5 hours. So it's clear to me that I should stop taking the Moclobemide ahead of time before the concert.

Since the half-life of Moclobemide is 24-48 hours, I plan on skipping my doses on the day and on the day prior, which seems to me like it should be sufficient, then wait a day or two before resuming them.

I also have a prescription to Valium, so I'll keep some on me just in case, to relieve any serotonin syndrome symptoms if I start to feel them.

In addition to this, I also take 1.5mg of Risperidone (an antipsychotic, prescribed to help reduce anxiety) nightly, and 10mg of Ritalin (for my ADHD) 3-4x daily, both of which I plan to continue taking as usual, since I wasn't able to find any reports of adverse interactions.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to minimising the risks of my intentions, and is there anything I may have overlooked?

I'm currently taking 300mg Moclobemide (a reversible MAO-A inhibitor) 2x daily, and am planning to roll on MDMA during an upcoming concert.

Having done my research, I understand that this can be a deadly combination. I'm also not looking for the experience that people who intentionally combine Moclobemide with MDMA are looking for. I don't want a more psychedelic and longer-lasting trip, I just want to increase my enjoyment of music for 3-5 hours. So it's clear to me that I should stop taking the Moclobemide ahead of time before the concert.

Since the half-life of Moclobemide is 24-48 hours, I plan on skipping my doses on the day and on the day prior, which seems to me like it should be sufficient, then wait a day or two before resuming them.

I also have a prescription to Valium, so I'll keep some on me just in case, to relieve any serotonin syndrome symptoms if I start to feel them.

In addition to this, I also take 1.5mg of Risperidone (an antipsychotic, prescribed to help reduce anxiety) nightly, and 10mg of Ritalin (for my ADHD) 3-4x daily, both of which I plan to continue taking as usual, since I wasn't able to find any reports of adverse interactions.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach to minimising the risks of my intentions, and is there anything I may have overlooked?
I don't think 1-2 days is nearly enough time to be completely safe. Half life, as the name suggests, means that by that time half of the MAOI dose is still in your system. Half of the original dose is still dangerous imho. I can't/won't give you a better timeframe as I strongly feel that anti-depressants should not be stopped to be able to roll, you might very well worsen your condition because of MDMAs after-effects. I would not proceed with this, at all. If you are determined to go ahead with it, figure out a timeframe for stopping the MAOI that is without a doubt safe and then double that. MAOIs and MDMA is not something to take any chances with, the dangers are not exaggerated

Also the ritalin combined with MDMA can cause overstimulation. Also, if I remember correctly, ritalin has a similar method of action to cocaine (correct me if I'm wrong someone, I can't look it up at the moment) and MDMA and cocaine is a potentially harmful combination, apart from the fact that they cancel each other out

All of that together, and with anti-psychotic in the mix, I again strongly advise to not continue with this. There are way to many factors at play in your case to be able to have a modicum of safety

Just to add to this, risperidone will negate the effects of MDMA so you would also need to discontinue that medication as well.

All of those are pretty heavy hitters and generally prescribed to people with problems that MDMA can exacerbate so I would think carefully before doing this as mentioned above