• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Trump is 'most excited' about death penalty for drug dealers

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Trump is 'most excited' about death penalty for drug dealers. Rights groups say it's a terrible idea.
Eli Rosenberg
The Washington Post
February 15th, 2019

President Trump spoke fondly again on Friday about the practice -- popular among some anti-Democratic leaders -- of executing drug traffickers.

Speaking at the White House to announce that he was declaring a national emergency to secure funding to build his long-promised border wall, Trump digressed to speak about a recent conversation he had with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

"Their criminal list -- a drug dealer gets a thing called the death penalty," he said of China. "Our criminal list a drug dealer gets a thing called: How about a fine?"

Trump continued: "When I asked President Xi, I said, 'You have a drug problem?' No no no." I said, 'You have 1.4 billion people, what do you mean you have no drug problem?' No we don?t have a drug problem. I said, 'Why?' Death penalty," Trump said, imitating someone who speaks broken English. "We give death penalty to people who sell drugs. End of problem."

Trump has repeatedly praised authoritarian leaders around the world and shown a particular affinity for the punitive measures some have used against drug traffickers and users.

Read the full story here.

China definitely has much lower rates of illicit drug use than the United States does. I highly doubt the death penalty has much to do with it, if anything. Japan has extremely low rates of drug use as well, and they don't have the death penalty. Iran has high rates, and they do have the death penalty. Many Western countries have far-less-punitive drug laws than the United States does and have significantly lower rates of drug use. I would wager that cultural factors have a lot more to do with it than the criminal law.

In any case, I think Kanye needs to pay Trump another visit to get him back on track.

WTF. Absolutely insane & immoral. I think the drug 'problem' is primarily cultural. Though culture comes in part from race/genetics.

It's a stupid, simplistic & ultimately ineffectual solution (esp. in the USA, Earth's largest illegal drug market) to a complex problem (drug abuse). So it makes complete sense that Trump would be all for it.

Didn't Trump hail Duterte for his brutal and bloody war against anybody even suspected of shaking hands with someone who's great grandparents used drugs?

I know it's been said enough but, Trump needs to go.

I highly doubt Trump has even a remote idea about what's going on in the Philippines and just assumes it's another country with strict drug laws. If I remember correctly even China's president criticized the extra-judicial killings.
Honestly; Trump just brought this up as a distraction from all the other crap going on with him.

It's kinda funny since China has a pretty big drug problem and produces very large amounts of meth and ketamine for domestic use.

Oh yeah, they execute all those people because they sell not to harvest humans organs and what not. Move along, nothing to see here...

https://www.amnestyusa.org/execution-vans-organ-harvesting-business-as-usual-in-china/

For many years, it has been known that China uses execution vans, kind of like specially outfitted ambulances, to more efficiently carry out its exceedingly large number of executions. The method of killing in these vans is lethal injection, which has been slowly but surely replacing the firing squad as China’s preferred means of execution, and both lethal injection and the vans are believed to facilitate the widespread practice of harvesting organs of the executed prisoners, an unbelievably appalling practice.

You want violence? Cause thats how you get violence! Trump's a fucking moron who panders to idiots. I feel like we have completely jumped the shark.