• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Are these caffeine eliminating supplements safe?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I don't know if it's right for me to make this thread here so if not the mods can move it, I just thought it might get the most hits here and I'm hoping maybe someone who knows about supplements and drug interactions knows if these are safe.

So I have been trying to quit coffee FOREVER because it makes me anxious and gives me trouble sleeping and makes me need more of my Klonopin but I find the withdrawal to be too bad to get through. For some it's mild, but for me it feels like the flu.

So a particular company sells 2 products, both of which I bought, one which helps get rid of caffeine WD supposedly, and the other which supposedly you can take at night and will quickly metabolize and eliminate the caffeine you had during the day so you can sleep better without the caffeine effecting you, and it sounds like that one maybe almost instantly put you into caffeine WD.

So, I take Klonopin and Lexepro, and I also often take prescribed Dexadrine which in some cases has helped me use less coffee (I know it's weird...I'd like to quit Dexadrine also to be honest...) and I'm wondering if anyone knows if either of these products might interact negatively with them or just not be safe.

I'm guessing no one will know and i'll have to decide if I want to take the risk myself, but I figured I'd ask.

So the 1st one I'm thinking I will try first is just to help get through caffeine WD and it contains the following:

Dandelion root extract (taxicum officicinale)
Ashwaganda root extract. (Withania somnifera)
Ginseng root extract(Panay chines is)
Schisandra fruit extract (schisandra chinensis)
Inert geiatine,sodium copper,chlorophylin titanium dioxide),rice flower,magnesium sterate,silica

Does anyone know about the general safety of these herbs?

And also, would any of them negatively interact with Dexadrine, Klonopin or Lexapro?

I have heard Ashwaganda is safe, would assume Dandelion is safe, I have used Ginseng, but I know nothing about the others and I especially want to be sure they don't have MAOIs or super powerful serotonin releasing agents as those could interact negatively with either my dex or lexapro.

I may end up combining it with Dexadrine because I have used Dex to break my caffeine habit temporarily WITHOUT going back to the Dexadrine either, because without SOME kind of stimulation I get too tired and miserable from the caffeine WD, but if combining the 2 is dangerous I won't do it.

The other one is weird and I am skeptical.

It contains a fruit called Rutaecarpine which supposedly does the following:

• RUTAECARPINE, is a natural fruit that has extraordinary properties known to reduce the effects of caffeine. It's a natural acting sleep aid to help you unwind and relax after enjoying a day with coffee/caffeine
  • It is possibly, the most potent traditional sleep remedy for coffee drinkers with caffeine cancelling Rutaecarpine
  • Rutaecarpine, quickly relaxes your mind to help you wake up refreshed without any nasty side effects
  • If you are a coffee drinker and have experienced difficulty sleeping it may be due to the effects of coffee.

I don't know, if anything it's possible that these things might not work at all, but if they aren't dangerous, especially not to mix with my meds, then I figure it's worth a shot.

The only reason I think I'd be more cautious first about the 2nd one and see if the 1st one works 1st is cause I drink A LOT of coffee and some of the people responding on the site said it puts you into IMMEDIATE caffeine WD and since caffeine can raise blood pressure it made me wonder if my blood pressure might drop too quickly in an unsafe way if I took it after a day of drinking coffee.

Anyone know anything about any of these supplements?

Thanks.

I know this is off your topic but do you think your dexedrine intake might also play a part in the issue you're having?

Doesn't have to, the dexedrine effecting his sleep.

I am prescribed amphetamines, and methylphenidate in the past. I can sleep good on a regular dose of amps and right after the rebound with phenidates. Caffein in a normal dosage delivered through coffee or nrg drink will have me awakened for hours tossing and turning. So for me they do not behave the same on my sleephygeine.

Rutaecarpine, spiked my curiousity thanks for bringing this up Mycophile.

I would be very surprised if any of those herbs had any perceptible interaction with any of the drugs you are currently taking - caffeine included, if I'm honest.

That said, I did not know about Rutaecarpine either, and it sounds like an interesting substance. But, I would be very skeptical of some of the more extreme sounding claims you've quoted, ie, "puts you into caffeine withdrawal INSTANTLY" - this just does not ring true for me. It increases the speed of caffeine metabolism, but it's not clear by how much, and it's unlikely to be to such an extent that it would be distinctly noticeable in someone who was not actively looking for this effect.