• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Feeling tired from withdrawls

mtop2036

Bluelighter
So I've been tapering on my subs and am down to .125mg. And I've been extremely tired which I know from experience is the complete opposite of what is supposed to happen.

I've gotten withdrawals at various stages in my taper and had horrible time not sleeping.

Even when I got to .25 and was in wd i was still sleepy and still had it once I evened out.

I don't take any other meds besides the occasional advil.

I know you aren't doctors but maybe I have some other issue going on. Or have any of you had this happen?

It dosn t matter if it's morning,midday or nighttime, I'm always tired.

Actually, I'm often tired when tapering, before I go into full blown withdrawal. I take breaks periodically to keep my tolerance down (I use for pain & I'm terrified it will stop working), so I go through WD several times a year. More frequently I'll take 1-2wks to cut dowm my dose but not go off completely. And this often makes me tired. I think for me it's bc being in pain is very fatiguing, but I don't know that for a fact. The right dose of h is usually not sedating for me. If I feel really tired, it's bc I took too much or not enough. Sometimes I don't know which is the problem & worsen the situation - it's that confusing. I use all day long nasally.

Are you on subOXONE or subUTEX?

It dosn t matter if it's morning,midday or nighttime, I'm always tired.

Man I always feel that way during wd and then sick and nauseous and not being able to sleep. I am so stupid for getting back on opiates again and now I'm getting ready for that long slow taper with suboxone (which I really hate but its my own damn fault) But the good news for you is you have gotten down to the a real low dose. It took me a year last time on suboxones (6 years ago) and at the end I tapered down to the smallest I could get the pill about 0.2 mg for about 2 weeks and finally finish and it was not near as bad as quitting sub at a dose of 1 or 2 mg or higher.
I started back on heroin 5 months ago and just ordered my suboxone to start the long gross process again after being clean for 5.5 year. I'm a GODDAMN IDIOT. No matter how long you have been clean don't ever think that taking a few norcos is safe!
But yes in my opinion feeling tired is a normal symptom of the taper off of suboxone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Good to know it's from tapering and not something else. I've had wds from every opiate and never felt tired from it. But this is my first experience from subs.

Fairnymph it's subutex.

And feelingsick would you mind telling more about how it was jumping from .2mg? And did you take any drugs to help with wds? Thanks

Fatigue is a normal withdrawal symptom.

Extreme tiredness with tension and anxiety

Thanks for the info. Good to know it's from tapering and not something else. I've had wds from every opiate and never felt tired from it. But this is my first experience from subs.

Fairnymph it's subutex.

And feelingsick would you mind telling more about how it was jumping from .2mg? And did you take any drugs to help with wds? Thanks

My bet's on tapering then. I actually didn't know it was common but it makes sense. If you were on suboxone I had another possible theory.

My past experience with tapering down from subutex was also a feeling of constant fatigue. But my doc switch me from subutex to methadone for the last few weeks and when i switched over and tapered of the methadone it was a lot easier and less draining so to speak. But that was my own personal experience. Wont caffeine pills or good old strong coffee maybe help with the tiredness?

My past experience with tapering down from subutex was also a feeling of constant fatigue. But my doc switch me from subutex to methadone for the last few weeks and when i switched over and tapered of the methadone it was a lot easier and less draining so to speak. But that was my own personal experience. Wont caffeine pills or good old strong coffee maybe help with the tiredness?

I recently done a pretty rapid Methadone taper (around 25% a week from 100 to jumping from 20) and it was waaaay worse than tapering from Bupe. Like an order of magnitude at least. So YMMV.

As I remember it might of even been less. I went do to as small as I could get the little piece of sub... then one day I did not take it and it was not that bad.. I felt anxious and uneasy for a few days but nothing horrible like I have in the past when I tried to stop subs when I was still taking 2-3mg a day.. that was such hell I had to start it again. I guess what I hate about sub is it takes a long time to get off.
But one mistake I've made and I'm sure others have is when you weaned down to about .2 or .1 then the day you stop don't lay around and do nothing. Try to stay busy for the next few days doing as much as you can. The only drug I took was ambien at night to sleep and that help.. but its the wake up that sucks. Over the next few months you might feel anxious. If you are trying to actually get clean then stick to it and don't ever no matter how far in the future EVER take another opiate. I also like AA meetings better than NA but that's up to you. Good luck.. you so close don't give up now!

Unfortunately my friend, this is a pretty common symptom that folks experience as they break away from maintenance. I remember it well myself dude. I would be so tired and unmotivated to do anything and as we all know, in normal life this is not always an option. Firstly, you've come this far, which is absolutely incredible so pats on the back all around :) I mention this because I think this well of strength that you've drawn on to get this far is going to be part of what gets your through this next part.

Do you have access to a prescriber and if so, would you be interested in trying to acquire some light medication that might help spur some motivation a little bit? I found that my Pregabalin (Lyrica) prescription was essential for me in attempting to get up and get going. Perhaps something like this could work for your to, who knows? Get back to me and we can perhaps discuss some options!

Thanks for the kind words guys, it really helps motivate me.

I do have a doctor,not sure if he will be willing to prescribe me anything. Hopefully he will, it would make things a lot easier for when I fully quit. Idk if I like the idea of lryica.

My doctor is great hopefully atleast he can help me come up with a game plan

I understand if you don't "like the idea" man. I totally get it. I think most people would rather not use medication if given the choice and all things were swell, however, you're in a phase of your life in which you need to do everything in your power to prevent yourself from relapsing or otherwise backtracking in terms of your recovery. We have to make sure you're eating, sleeping and performing normal hygiene rituals.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I know how daunting some of the most simple things can seem when you're experiencing withdrawal-related exhaustion. With this in mind, I think that you need to consider what you really want most. Would you rather try medication and potentially get some relief or would you rather remain stationary. As you've said, I think your doc will have the last word on everything, but if you're truly committed, you can ask for stuff like this and imply that you're willing to do drug tests, pill counts, the whole nine-yards. It might be a real bitch, but it could also be a really positive step for you.

Good luck man and post back or PM me if you have any questions and we can just go from there.

Your right, it's not so much having a problem using something for aid but I hate the idea of more chemicals going in my body. But at this point I can handle the wds from tapering, by it might be a different story when I fully quit.

Also I've been down to .100mg for 2 days now :)