• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

Wht kind of wack job considers 3 liters of wine moderation? That's the equivalent of 20 standard american drinks, over a fifth of liquor.

Anyone who thinks that constitutes moderation belongs in detox. Your doctor has probably seen many drinkers before and seen the effects and that's why she wants you to go to detox.

Alcohol is a solvent that dissolves your insides over time.

Switch to benzos and stop drinking altogether would be my avidse

Alcohol is a solvent that dissolves your insides over time.

Switch to benzos and stop drinking altogether would be my avidse

Terrible advise. Benzos cause brain damage. Go to benzobuddies.org and read the stories of people trying to get off them.

A good substitute for alcohol that won't dissolve your insides or damage your brain is kava. I wish I had known about kava before I got on benzos.

Why are you so averse to detox and so determined to carry on drinking? Your doctor DOES understand you, that's why she's trying to help. Chances are your level of drinking and your reported overdose have seriously damaged your liver and/or kidneys. Please, please reconsider your situation. I would be extremely worried if I were you...
Actually, my liver and kidneys are still pretty normal, that's what I was told three months ago....I don't think I'll ever fully stop drinking(maybe I'll get back to drinking in relative moderation sometime soon though)...thanks for the replies guys, shame none of you know of a medication that could help me.... I have to go to sleep now, the valiums are finally kicking in...

It sounds like you're starting to get addicted to alcohol on a physical level, and your drinking is really spiraling out of control. 3 liters of wine per day is NOT moderation. That's full blown alcoholic level drinking in and of itself. And 5 or 6 liters a wine is an absolutely unfathomable amount of alcohol to put into your system.

The problems that you experience when you don't drink are probably alcohol withdrawal symptoms. You should seriously consider quitting alcohol now, because believe me if you keep this up..... it will get to the point where the withdrawal lasts for a lot longer than a day. And alcohol withdrawal is brutal. One can even die from unsupervised alcohol withdrawal.

That amount of alcohol is going to seriously fuck up your health. And at the amounts that you're drinking, it could be sooner rather than later. If I were in that situation, I would definitely detox and quit alcohol for good.

OP, with all due respect, I have read your posts over the year and while as mentioned the 3L is considered "moderation" compared to your standard 5-6 daily, the severity of your alcoholism is SO CLEAR to all of us that I really wish you would take a second to get out of your head and think "If this many people say I have a severe problem", like literally everyone in each of your forums has always responded, you will see that it is not coincidence. Many of us (myself included) identify as alcoholics. If you were to stop drinking at this point it would be fatal. Please seek help before it's too late.

You need to see a doctor about this. We aren't medical professionals (and even if some of us are diagnosing someone over the internet is frown upon). You're drinking a lot and ethanol is known to be toxic.
Regarding pain medication, let's see, on the top of my head I came up with those:
- opioids, not an option because you drink way too much and this'll lead to respiratory depression
- nsaids, i.e. aspirin, ibuprofen and diclofenac combined with ethanol will lead to an increased risk of bleeding
- coxibes, are rough on your heart and iirc there aren't any approved in America due to the adr
- paracetamol or acetaminophen, in pharmacy you learn that alcoholism and apap don't go well due to increased hepatotoxicity and while I read a paper suggesting that it's not as bad as we thought your glutathione levels are most likely extremely low due to your alcoholism, thus increasing the hepatotoxic effects of apap
- metamizole (if it's even still approved in America) iirc fucks with liver enzymes thus making alcohol a big contraindication (and it has a rare but potentially fatal adr)
So to conclude there aren't much if any pain meds you could take for your problem and imo it'd be reckless and against the rules to suggest any, as the pain is most likely a signal of your body to tell you to stop abusing ethanol. Please see a doctor!

Since everyone already told you that you have a problem, I thought I would share with you my experience with detoxing without medical assistance. I regret not getting medical help, but I'm hard headed and did it anyway. It was easily the worst withdrawals I have ever experienced. Worse than when I detoxed from shooting a gram and a half of raw heroin everyday. Worse than when I detoxed from fentanyl+oxy after my surgeries. It was a few weeks of pure hell, just laying on my couch shaking uncontrollably and hallucinating mildly. I don't think I ate for those 2+ weeks. Then for months afterwards my nerves were totally shot. The slightest stimuli, like a loud noise or even slightly stressful tasks like being stuck in traffic would evoke an adrenaline response where I'd start shaking, get pale and feel the need to vomit. I didn't feel "normal" for probably a year. If at all possible, please take your doctor's advice and head to detox now before you lose complete control like I did and start drinking a handle a day. 5-6 bottles of wine a day is basically the same thing. With the 3 you already have a long hard road out of hell.

I thought my life would suck without booze. I used to think things like - "How will I go out and have fun with friends? I can't NOT drink on my birthday. I'm boring without alcohol. People who don't drink are weird. My whole family drinks, how will we be able to chill? I don't want to give up going to my favorite bars or going out altogether! " It was all bullshit. It was just separation anxiety and none of it was real. I still go out and have a great time, except now I remember it. I go out to bars and now my friends have a dedicated driver. I have time and money for my hobbies now that I don't spend all my time and money on booze. I probably go out more now since I'm not always drunk or hungover. I don't have to ever wonder about what embarrassing thing I did the night before that caused people to be upset with me and not talk to me for a period of time. My family doesn't drink nearly as much now that I'm not always pushing them into it. I no longer have a fatty liver. My life is so much better without alcohol.

I'm not in AA and I'm no angel. I've recently had issues with opiates again because of further surgeries but I'd still never go back to before December 2015, which is when I stopped drinking.

The bluelighters above are being tough on you because we've been through a lot and don't have a lot of tolerance for bullshit, but also because we care about you despite not even knowing you because you are a kindred spirit and we feel your pain.

Speaking of pain, what sort of pain are you referring to? Stomach, kidneys, headache, what? I'm extremely curious.

Either way, good luck. You owe it to yourself to let your mind and body heal. I hope everything works out for you.

thanks for the responses, guys, but I'm just a little tired of everybody in my life always judging me on my drinking(not saying you guys are not making valid points but it's all just a bit tiring for me)...I guess I'm just a bit hard headed and not particularly fond of always thinking about consequences...as for the pills I've decided I'll start taking some strong pain killers...I'll tell my doctor about it and ask her which ones are the best, she'll have no choice but to tell me since I'll already be taking them anyway....thanks again for the responses, you can close the thread now, thank you.

Adding strong pain killers, i.e. opioids will most likely result in another OD, so don't do it
What about trying to switch to something less toxic, maybe baclofen?

Bottom line. Your going to die. Not at some far away time and place but soon. That pain could be a number of things none good.

For harm reduction sake don't take any pills with acetaminophen aka Tylenol in them.

Good luck

We're fuckin concerned for you man! We're not being judgemental, we know the score. Your body is screaming at you to stop, yet all you want to do is take more drugs to mask the pain. Please listen to your doctor - sometimes they actually do know best...

Man, listen......

It sounds to me as if you're in basically the same spot that I've been in before, where you're drinking massive quantities of booze, know damn well that it's killing you, and you simply don't care. I get it. At one point I was so miserably depressed that I was drinking a big, nasty 5L box of wine every day. I did that for a while, and I've never been more miserable in my life. At the end when I was doing that, it felt like every nerve in my body was screaming at me. I don't know if it was from nutrient depletion, or if my liver and kidneys couldn't keep up with all the abuse and my body was shutting down from the toxicity, or what, but it was horrible enough that I thought I was dying. I honestly wanted to kill myself if I WASN'T dying, because it was that bad.

So I went to the hospital, told them what was up, and the PA treated me so badly that after being poked for an hour because they couldn't find an accessible vein(due to my past fun with needles as well as dehydration), I told them to fuck off, went home, and dealt with it myself. That was certainly no fun, as I didn't even have any benzos to help deal with it.

What are you going to do if you keep drinking, take a bunch of painkillers, and the painkillers stop working?

What are you going to do if you OD, it doesn't kill you, and you wind up debilitated for the rest of your life?

What are you going to do if you develop wet brain and end up in a nursing home for the rest of your life?

If this drinking doesn't kill you, there are lots of other scenarios that you could possibly end up in that are potentially worse than dying.

There are a couple of us on this thread that have been where you're at. We've survived, are working through it, and are happier to not be in that spot anymore.

Please listen to everyone here. Let your doctor care for you. It's her job, and none of the rest of us are qualified to deal with this issue beyond giving you moral support. That said, PM me any time if you are of a mind to do so. Take care.

:(

thanks for the responses, guys, but I'm just a little tired of everybody in my life always judging me on my drinking(not saying you guys are not making valid points but it's all just a bit tiring for me)...I guess I'm just a bit hard headed and not particularly fond of always thinking about consequences...as for the pills I've decided I'll start taking some strong pain killers...I'll tell my doctor about it and ask her which ones are the best, she'll have no choice but to tell me since I'll already be taking them anyway....thanks again for the responses, you can close the thread now, thank you.

We're not judging you we're trying to wake you up to your situation and help you find a way out. Remember a lot of us here have been in similar places either with alcohol or some other substance. I agree with everything Nickolai said. I also used to have a major problem with alcohol, I never got as high as you or Nickolai but at my worst I was drinking 15 or 16 beers a day and looking back I was utterly miserable during that time and when I finally stopped things got so much better. Have you considered stopping for a while just to see what it's like? You can always start drinking again if you don't like it. I actually did start drinking again several years later but I never had the desire to drink to such insane levels again and now I never drink more than 3 beers.

Some great advice above, seriously.

Im at 1 to 1.5 litres a day and very unimpressed with this. Im fully functioning and only drink in the evening but i too need to consider how to stop. Im feeling more motivated for detox after this thread.

Tombs said it really well.
OP, i hope you find a way to reduce your usage. It is very high.

Hopefullly i can come back to this with an outcome but this thread was more about you than me. Best of luck

If alcohol changes a part of your testosteron into estrogen, does it also work the other way around for girls?

So does it turn men into girly guys. Do you grow tits and loose some hair? Put on some fat on female places, big bud and lovehandles.

That kinda info would deter males from indulging. Pure harm reduction by scare tactics. Throw in some Hops and

"We have identified a potent phytoestrogen in hops, 8-prenylnaringenin, which has an activity greater than other established plant estrogens. The estrogenic activity of this compound was reflected in its relative binding affinity to estrogen receptors from rat uteri. The presence of 8-prenylnaringenin in hops may provide an explanation for the accounts of menstrual disturbances in female hop workers. This phytoestrogen can also be detected in beer, but the levels are low and should not pose any cause for concern." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10372741

You see no cause of concern, right. Count up all the probably hormonal disregulators we have been exposed to since childhood. I see absolutely no case off any concerns, only an increase of chubby guys with big asses and no shoulders coupled with girls that are the opposite.

Last edited:
If alcohol changes a part of your testosteron into estrogen, does it also work the other way around for girls?

THE EFFECTS OF MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION ON FEMALE HORMONE LEVELS AND REPRODUCTIVE FUNCTION

Studies that have investigated the effect of moderate alcohol consumption on the level of oestrogens and progesterone in both pre- and post-menopausal women are reviewed. It is concluded that several lines of evidence point to an alcohol-induced rise in natural or synthetic oestrogen levels in women. Proposed mechanisms include an increased rate of aromatization of testosterone or a decreased rate of oxidation of oestradiol to oestrone. Moderate alcohol consumption has also been linked to decreased progesterone levels in pre-menopausal women.