• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Having a panic attack about my liver shutting down

programdude

Greenlighter
So I've been drinking way too much the last few weeks, and last night had quite a large amount. The area around my liver has pressure on it so I assume its swollen. I'm having a bit of a panic attack worrying about possible shutdown. I dont detect any jaundice but I do feel slightly nauseous however that could be from the panic.

How quickly does acute liver failure set in? I know a swollen liver isn't a good sign(and I am obviously going cold turkey on booze after this) but how alarmed should I be? I've experienced similar swelling discomfort like this before but this seems more severe.

From what I've been told you'd know if your liver was shutting down. It's probably just stressed. Wouldn't hurt to go to the doctor tho if it doesn't go away or gets worse.

If it was an actual shut down would it just be getting worse? Is there anything good to help it along? I've just been drinking a lot of water.

Its hard to distinguish if the appetite loss is from the panic or not. I've only had one or two panic attacks in my life but I know they can really mess with you. The thing that scared me is how severe a symptom a swollen liver is listed as on most sites.

Overview

Acute liver failure is loss of liver function that occurs rapidly — in days or weeks — usually in a person who has no pre-existing liver disease. Acute liver failure is less common than chronic liver failure, which develops more slowly.

Acute liver failure, also known as fulminant hepatic failure, can cause serious complications, including excessive bleeding and increasing pressure in the brain. It's a medical emergency that requires hospitalization.

Depending on the cause, acute liver failure can sometimes be reversed with treatment. In many situations, though, a liver transplant may be the only cure.
Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of acute liver failure may include:

Yellowing of your skin and eyeballs (jaundice)
Pain in your upper right abdomen
Abdominal swelling
Nausea
Vomiting
A general sense of feeling unwell (malaise)
Disorientation or confusion
Sleepiness

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acute-liver-failure/symptoms-causes/syc-20352863

Well I definitely have some of that, hopefully the other symptoms are just coincidence. I've searched but cant find, does acute failure just keep getting worse?

Yeah but I don't think you have it if you're here posting. I'd just try to relax, keep an eye on your symptoms and go see a doctor if they get worse or don't go away. It's easy to scare yourself on the internet regarding health.

Assuming you had a healthy liver in the first place a few weeks of heavy drinking isn’t enough to cause acute liver failure. Definitely see a doctor if symptoms continue or get worse, but I think you’re fine.

I appreciate that. I usually avoid the self diagnosing web md rabbit hole but since it was something so specific I went for it. The problem is pretty much every site equates a swollen liver to your liver imminently failing. Definitely will calm down, cut booze out fully for a long while, and potentially see my dr. if theres any concern going forward.