• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Once daily xanax wd risk

bicomp

Greenlighter
NOTE: The reason I feel this is a unique question is that most Xanax users seem to take multiple doses per day, and that is most of the information I am finding. Therefore I am posting a new thread.

I know y'all aren't doctors and what not but here goes:

So, probably 14 days out of the month I take xanax once a day. Highish dose (3-6 depending) mainly for sleep. My rx is for 3mg per day. I have taken it for a couple years, but never every day, and never more than once a day. Always at night.

I have never experienced withdrawal symptoms.

On the other 14 days I take Ambien.

I have taken the Xanax once daily for the past week or so trying to decrease my Ambien tolerance.

So I have 6mg left of Xanax (which I will be able to refill in 7 days) and currently no Ambien, but that I can fill on Tuesday.

Should I:

3-2-1 the Xanax the next few days and go without once I get the Ambien?

Try taking one Xanax the next few days until I get the Ambien?

Wait and see if I notice any particular w/d symptoms?

Stop asking internet forums for advice on medical issues?

Any input appreciated. Mainly just trying to avoid an ugly withdrawal situation.

Last edited:
Try taking one Xanax the next few days until I get the Ambien?

Wait and see if I notice any particular w/d symptoms?

Those two...but let?s be real your gonna do whatever the fuck you wanna

So, probably 14 days out of the month I take xanax once a day. Highish dose (3-6 depending) mainly for sleep. My rx is for 3mg per day. I have taken it for a couple years, but never every day, and never more than once a day. Always at night.

On the other 14 days I take Ambien.

I have taken the Xanax once daily for the past week or so trying to decrease my Ambien tolerance.

"There's your problem" is what I'd like to say here. Since zolpidem (ambien) and xanax (alprazolam) work in such a similar manner, there's plenty of cross-tolerance between the two. Why on earth do you take such a high dose of xanax to try substitute for ambien anyway, are you dosing amnbien in some absurd 200mg range so that 3-6mg of xanax is actually effectively lowering your tolerance to ambien? Chances are that, especially by taking double the prescribed xanax dose (even if temporarily!) you are actually increasing your tolerance to ambien too. Maybe this is the reason you ran out of ambien in the first place? If you actually want to lower your tolerance to ambien, you should avoid drugs which work mainly through the GABA receptors (stuff like benzos, barbs, alcohol). This is like trying to lower cannabis tolerance by stopping smoking the flowers and changing to even stronger hash oil for a couple of weeks?

yeah there is cross tolerance i don't think you can avoid xanax dependence by taking ambien and certainly not by taking xanax once a day. i took xanax once a day when i was prescribed it and i had horrible dependence.

I’ve never had a problem and i assume 1x/Daily won’t be a massively hard thing to stop.

The key is to only doing it for a few weeks at a time maximum

YMMV

I tend to be insensitive to these types of drugs

I’ve never had a problem and i assume 1x/Daily won’t be a massively hard thing to stop.

Yeah, but for some reason OP is using an unnecessarily high dose of alprazolam of 3-6mg every other day.

That comes out to ~2 mg/day on average. Stopping at this level is probably going to be unpleasant.

OP, are you using regular, immediate-release alprazolam, or an extended release version? If you're using something like Xanax XR (which would make sense, seeing as how you seem to be dosing it in 3mg increments), that is completely different from taking 3 mg of IR alprazolam at bedtime.

^ a lot of BL'ers tend to go high on the benzos I've noticed, i.e. cj, mal. If I'm doing every-other day I only need 1mg, or take 1mg 2x or something.

I've never had benzo wd. I just stack up the pills like a moron, or a useless machine. Life tends to be a useless machine.

OP, are you using regular, immediate-release alprazolam, or an extended release version? If you're using something like Xanax XR (which would make sense, seeing as how you seem to be dosing it in 3mg increments), that is completely different from taking 3 mg of IR alprazolam at bedtime.
Using non-XR just regular old xanax. RX is for 1mg 4x a day. but I just take it at night, albeit more than 1 mg.
bumping this, I am op
I'm sort of in a similar situation yet again (I realize I need to stop the cycle) where I have been taking higher doses of xanax and can't fill for another week.
Still just taking it once a day. It always alternates. A few weeks on Xanax, a few on Ambien, etc.
Have Xanax, and then ambien fills the next day.
Hoping not to have a withdrawal seizure. I guess I could just CIWA myself if I need it I'll take a couple of the Xanax, if not I won't. But any