• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Use of Dopamine Agonists in Psychiatry

Stepholidine is a D1 agonist and D2 antagonist showing antipsychotic effects.

Dinapsoline is a potent selective full agonist at D1 receptors. Used for Parkinson's disease.

Dinoxyline is a potent full agonist at all five dopamine receptors.

Dihydrexidine is a moderately selective full agonist at the D1 & D5 receptors. It has a 10-fold selectivity for D1 & D5 over D2.

Pergolide is a weak D1 agonist and highly selective D2 agonist. It is also agonist on several serotonin receptors just like Bromocriptine.

I am taking Abilify (400 mg / month) and Welbutrin (300 mg / day).
I am taking Pramipexole 2 mg / day and Bromocriptine 10 mg / day.
I have been taking the dopamine agonists for two days already.
My affect is brighter now. My mood has lifted up.
My motivation, drive, initiative and preoccupation have improved.

I am waiting for more profound changes after a week has passed. I am using the dopamine agonists to combat negative symptoms, anhedonia, to boost my mood and to treat neuroleptic induced deficit syndrome and neuroleptic induced sexual dysfunction.

Last edited:
Dinapsoline = a selective full agonist at D1 receptors; used to treat Parkinson's disease.

Dinoxyline = a potent full agonist at all five dopamine receptors: D1,D2, D3, D4, and D5.

Dihydrexidine = a cognitive enhancer prescribed for the treatment of negative symptoms and cognitive deficits in schizophrenia. It is a moderately selective full agonist at the D1 & D5 receptors, with a 10-fold selectivity for D1 & D5 over D2.

Stepholidine = D2 antagonist and D1 agonist; has antipsychotic effects.

Pergolide = a weak D1 agonist highly selective for D2 receptors and various 5HT receptors.

Rotigotine is used to treat Parkinson's disease. Rotigotine acts as a non-selective agonist of the dopamine D1, D2, D3, and, to a lesser extent, D4 and D5receptors, with highest affinity for the D3 receptor.[10] In terms of affinity, rotigotine has 10-fold selectivity for the D3 receptor over the D2, D4, and D5 receptors and 100-fold selectivity for the D3 receptor over the D1 receptor.[10] In functional studies however, rotigotine behaves as a full agonist of D1, D2, and D3 with similar potencies (EC50).

Receptor Binding Profile of Rotigotine:

Like other dopamine agonists, rotigotine has been shown to possess antidepressant effects and may be useful in the treatment of depression as well.[3]

Last edited by a moderator:
No side effects, only positive effects as expected? I'm jealous. Though maybe it's the pramipexole you're mostly feeling. I would have tried each separately.

I have been using Pramipexole (1mg / day) and Bromocriptine (10mg / day), + Welbutrin 300 mg + Abilify 400mg.

For the past week,, I have been using the dopamine agonists Pramipexole and Bromocriptine and I find my affect is brighter now, mood has lifted up, more preoccupation with inner life, treats anhedonia (lack of pleasure), as well as Antipsychotic (Abilify) induced sexual dysfunction (anorgasmia, and loss of libido). My motivation is enhanced. I find myself smiling more often. I find these to be superb treatments for depression and antipsychotic- induced deficit syndrome and negative symptoms (blunting of affect etc.).

I am hoping to treat all my negative symptoms with these agonists. That's why I am continuing to take them. For next month however, I am going to order Cabergoline and Ropinirole. These are more effective at enhancing sexual performance (treating antipsychotic-induced reduction of libido and diminishing of orgasm). They are also significantly antidepressive as are Pramipexole and Bromocriptine. Cabergoline is similar to Bromocriptine while Pramipexole is a lot like Ropinirole.

If it is within your possibilities, I would get my hormones checked: Total and free Test, E2, Prolactin.

I have been using Pramipexole (1mg / day) and Bromocriptine (10mg / day), + Welbutrin 300 mg + Abilify 400mg.

For the past week,, I have been using the dopamine agonists Pramipexole and Bromocriptine and I find my affect is brighter now, mood has lifted up, more preoccupation with inner life, treats anhedonia (lack of pleasure), as well as Antipsychotic (Abilify) induced sexual dysfunction (anorgasmia, and loss of libido). My motivation is enhanced. I find myself smiling more often. I find these to be superb treatments for depression and antipsychotic- induced deficit syndrome and negative symptoms (blunting of affect etc.).

I am hoping to treat all my negative symptoms with these agonists. That's why I am continuing to take them. For next month however, I am going to order Cabergoline and Ropinirole. These are more effective at enhancing sexual performance (treating antipsychotic-induced reduction of libido and diminishing of orgasm). They are also significantly antidepressive as are Pramipexole and Bromocriptine. Cabergoline is similar to Bromocriptine while Pramipexole is a lot like Ropinirole.

Certainly cabergoline and (especially) prami are considerably more tolerable for most than bromo. At least in the bodybuilding world, prami is generally the preference for DA/PRL related libido issues over either ropinirole or caber. Good luck with your experiments though.